Fan clutch is frozen to the water pump

flyntgr1

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Need help!!! My water pump is wobbling, so I decided to replace it. But, I can't break the clutch loose. I've got a fan clutch tool that hooks around the bolts on the pulley. I've tried PB blaster and a small propane torch, but all the wrench does is try to round off the nut on the clutch. I tried to take the entire assembly out, but I need another inch of room. Anyone have any ideas.

2003 2WD trailblazer with 4.2 I6

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Are you sure you're using the right-size wrench? Everything in this vehicle is metric - using an SAE "equivalent" can run the risk of damage.

flyntgr1

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
It's the one that came with the kit. It is a little oversized. I'll go buy the proper size wrench tomorrow.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Take a piece of cardboard and place it against the fins of the radiator, you will thank yourself, thin leather gloves are also welcomed....those fins are sharp. What I did was remove the fan blade and that gave me room for the clutch. I also loosened the plastic shroud for wiggle room, I think the top radiator support may give you room if removed but I didn't try it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Lots of videos on this. This one is my usual method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoPQU4dk-g

And this one is specific to our platform with specific tools:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOqKKKi4bL4

If really stuck, a chain will work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqg1TosBQE

Or a bar (move up to 7:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mAjPwKv5l0

Others have also used a zip gun, which also works.

b34afb993fee2538192a99cba37af3c6.jpg

I also don't have that wimpy wrench. I use a large adjustable wrench. A pipe wrench would also work.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Mine was pretty stuck took. I almost blacked out trying to remove it. My buddy let me use a air hammer. If you do this method you just get the edge of the fan clutch nut and bam, off in like 3 seconds.

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
What I do with stubborn clutch fan nuts is:
(with serp-belt on) place a snug wrench on the nut,
turn wrench clockwise till other end of wrench meets frame, crossmember or solid "stopper" on engine.
then turn key to "start" momentarily.

That'll break-loose 99% of fan clutch nuts, crankshaft bolts & timing gear bolts.

FYI: Won't work on Hondas because those engines spin backwards,,, really. :crazy:

EDIT: MUST EMPHASIZE, TAP KEY TO "START", TURN TO "OFF" AFTER EACH TAP.
Also, might be a good idea for a rookie to disable the ignition and/or fuel first,
to prevent engine from running with wrench on fan.

Reactions: Redbeard and Mounce

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My tbss didn't have nuts. Do your lucky you even have them. It was a bitch switching to e fans.

flyntgr1

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Well. I've decided to give up. I bolted a chain in. Put a pipe wrench with a 3 foot galvanized pipe. Instead of breaking the fan loose. I broke the pipe wrench and put a rather sizable knot on my head from the pipe.

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
flyntgr1 said:
Well. I've decided to give up. I bolted a chain in. Put a pipe wrench with a 3 foot galvanized pipe. Instead of breaking the fan loose. I broke the pipe wrench and put a rather sizable knot on my head from the pipe.
Where's the pic of the Knot?
(j/k, glad you're still conscious)

FWIW, doing it my way reduces the risk of head injury... :wink:

Reactions: Mounce

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Congrats! :wooot:

Now, what are you going to do to get the clutch off of the water pump?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
flyntgr1 said:
Here's the wrench
Granted it's a moot point but I noticed your chain was on the right side...you were turning it counter-clockwise as you are facing the front correct?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I wondered too. Were you turning the wrench from the driver side to the passenger side? Basically the normal way to unscrew.

flyntgr1

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I was turning it counter clockwise. The chain was bolted to the left side, but the pump rotated to the right after the wrench broke.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wow, it's really welded on there! You're probably looking at replacing the water pump anyway so might as well use torch heat to get that sucker off. Another option would be to get a fan, shroud and pulley from a junker in a yard. I had less trouble than you removing one from a junker.

For the eventual reinstall, cut out a piece of the shroud on top to help clear the top radiator hose outlet.

flyntgr1

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Well, tried heating it again last night and it is not coming off. I originally wasn't planning on replacing the fan clutch, just the pump. However, I'm not sure it didn't need replacing anyway due to sounding like a jet taking off. So at this point, all I would salvage from taking the pump fan clutch assembly apart would do is gain access to the pulley and fan blade. Well RockAuto has the pulley for $8.55 and the blade for $79.79. So, I've ordered those and the fan clutch to go with the new pump I've got.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm cheap. I would have heated the crap out of the clutch nut to get it off or even cut it off just to get the fan off. One way or another , it had to get done.

Reactions: Mounce

ADBry

Jan 27, 2019
Michigan
Well, I didn't give up. With a little modifying of the shroud, I was able to get it out as an assembly.
How were you able to get behind the pulley? I'm at a loss at what to do, because I'm having the same issue with my 2002 Trailblazer LS.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How were you able to get behind the pulley? I'm at a loss at what to do, because I'm having the same issue with my 2002 Trailblazer LS.

That member hasn't been back on the forum in over 4 years, so he won't be an option for help. What have you tried so far? Have you tried the methods in post #5 above?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not sure where to put this.. But I found it useful..

{Mod edit: Moved to more appropriate thread}

Last edited by a moderator:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I made myself a tool. (some would say I was already a tool) I used a piece of flat stock like 1 3/8 inch by 1/8 thick. Drilled two holes closer to one side and the spacing between the centers of two water pump pulley bolts. Then hacksawed and filed out a notch to allow me to bolt it to the water pump pulley and let the long end rotate to contact either the harmonic balancer itself or the balancer bolt. This prevents the business from moving while I use a large adjustable wrench and a 4 lb deadblow hammer. Usually a good whack or two brings it loose. I use a piece of rag through the wrench handle so I can pull on that to keep tension on the wrench and not risk smacking my hand with the hammer. One does need to keep the wrench clear of the fan blades lest you break something there when it does come loose.

I have also seen folks use a piece of hardware store chain the likes of which might be used to secure a large dog. The chain would be bolted to one of the pulley bolts and then bolt the other end to somewhere like the alternator bracket.

IMG_20191028_145119.jpg

The other item seen here is an HVAC actuator puller I made up.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online