Ever bought salvage title vehicle from pick-n-pull?

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
So, I owned an 07 Colorado like a year ago and it was by far not my favorite vehicle. However, there's a really cheap one for sale by Pick-n-pull for $1800 and I'm wondering if I should pick it up because it does get better mileage than my 99 Suburban K1500 :smile:

http://www.picknpull.com/we_sell_ca...28&Lat=38.343782&Lng=-122.701195&Distance=100

How much of a hassle is it? I guess I'm not supposed to drive it before going through the process but not sure how else I would get it home? I'll just have a friend drive my Suburban back and tailgate me so cops don't notice I don't have plates? lol... I think I can have VIN Verification and other paperwork done easy, fast, and free at the AAA office. I'm assuming a smog shop can do brake & light inspection when they smog it?

Thanks for any input!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just a few words of caution for a few things to be aware of:

(1) In my experience... in cases of Vehicular Homicide or Accidental Death... Many owners will get rid of a vehicle for Pennies on the Dollar, even if the damage to it is insignificant... simply because of the bad memories associated with owning and driving it. You have a right to know where and under what circumstances this vehicle came to be in the possession of the Salvage Yard. If there was any blood or other artefacts of injury inside of the vehicle... knowing whether or not it has been "cleaned up" for sale is very important. The unexpected health risk in such cases is not a trivial matter. Also... You would not want any of your family members fishing out a piece of someone's shattered bone or a skull fragment from under the seat while you're all off on a Sunday Drive.

(2) Many "Gray Market" Vehicles involve challenges to ownership as a bone of contention... especially where some of these Salvage Vehicles have been taken under Local and State Forfeiture and Seizure Laws. Spending a Few Bucks on a CAR-FAX after you obtain the VIN from the Dashboard Glass as YOU personally observe, photograph and investigate might save you some discomfort "Down the Road..." Quite Literally.

(3) Many of these vehicles are involved in a State to State "Shell Game" in which vehicles that have been ordered for complete destruction in one state are loaded in groups on Vehicle Transports from areas where extensive Flooding has occurred and wind up getting shipped to other states and then offered for sale with a specious "Paper Trail". And so... becoming inveigled in such a difficulty will often make the Sale Price much less appealing after going through the process of ensuring the damned thing ... REALLY is yours.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You don't know what the damage might be. It could have been in a flood or it has not-readily visible frame damage, which could make it non-repairable.

$1799? Really? I'd pass.

Reactions: Redbeard

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Alright, I guess I'll hang out for the 96-99 C1500 with 4.3 V6, power locks, windows, and cruise control in reasonable condition at an acceptable price that has got to show up around here sooner than later :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Honestly I've found better deals on Craigslist with clean titles.

Reactions: Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The title would not scare me. I have owned several really good vehicles with rebuilt/salvage or what not titles. Its all in looking it over and doing your research.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
:iagree:

I'm a deputy clerk for my counties clerk of courts. We deal with everything in automotive titles. Salvage, Rebuilt Salvage, Original, Replacements, Duplicates, you name it. Insurance companies are literally looking for ways to get away from the vehicle. From a banged up door, all the way to a total loss. My most notable salvage title that i converted into a rebuilt was a 2015 GMC Terrain that was purchased by the person in MI (Im in OH) already branded with the Salvage title and only with 4,000 miles on it. The insurance company totaled it and the person bought it for $10k. The only damage... it slipped off the delivery truck at the dealership and ran into a parked car deploying both air bags for the front passengers and ruined the front bumper and lights of course. That's it! Replace airbags, replace lights, replace bumper... BRAND NEW vehicle!

hopefully you can find something you are looking for. But dont let a salvage or rebuilt salvage title scare you in your future purchases. You never know what kind of diamond you've stumbled upon.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest