Engine swap from 4.3 v6 to 5.3 v8

98sierra5.3

Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
Arizona
Has anyone done this swap on older gm trucks like the 98 Sierra if so I need to know if I can keep the same fuel pump and radiator

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
If your 4.3 was CPI you might be ok on the FP, if it's TB injection it won't be enough psi.
As for the radiator, you will be going from a iron engine to an aluminum one, this means that now, any overheating will be catastrophic. I would want a good sized aluminum radiator to match...Mike.
fwiw Your old FP had a fuel return system and I believe the 5.3's did away with that so that may make the interface a little tricky.

Last edited:
Reactions: 98sierra5.3

98sierra5.3

Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
Arizona
If your 4.3 was CPI you might be ok on the FP, if it's TB injection it won't be enough psi.
As for the radiator, you will be going from a iron engine to an aluminum one, this means that now, any overheating will be catastrophic. I would want a good sized aluminum radiator to match...Mike.
fwiw Your old FP had a fuel return system and I believe the 5.3's did away with that so that may make the interface a little tricky.
Well with the block I chose not to get the all aluminum I have the cast iron block and I think I have the cpi...also what will Ihave to do about the harness.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online