Engine fan wobble

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi All,
Been a while since I have posted. Been lucky and my Envoy has been treating us well as of late.
The past two days, however I have heard an intermittent high pitched squeak from under the hood. When observing the cooling fan, it seems to be wobbling, and I can move it by hand back and forth pretty easy when it isn't running. I suspect the water pump but wanted to get your take to be sure, and I noticed my AC performance is poor in the nice weather, so should I replace my fan clutch while at it? Here is a link to a video I took today if you care to look. Thanks in advance, hope everyone is good.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59kgflxx7fklcwv/20170116_132640.mp4?dl=0

Cheers,
Adam

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, definite wobble from the water pump and it looks pretty bad. I'd change that ASAP. The belt squeak is from the misalignment caused by the wobble. I'd plan on replacing it too.

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
That's a great how-to article, Matt. The thought of replacing my fan clutch has quickly evaporated when I found out they retail for about $360. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? But the waterpump on the other hand is toast. Thanks again for the link, well done!

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You might want to test your fan first to be sure it's actually working:
How to test the electro-viscous fan clutch

Since you're taking it apart, might as well check so you don't have to take if off again. The wobble might throw the results off though.

Reactions: Redbeard and NT1078

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The thought of replacing my fan clutch has quickly evaporated when I found out they retail for about $360.

Almost shit when I saw that price, but I see you're in Canadia. :biggrin:

Do you know anyone on the other side of the Falls that you could ship one to and pick it up from them? The Hayden is about US$130.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If it comes to it why not switch to a thermal fan clutch?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Would have to get a tune to kill the SES light, or deal with that light on all the time (and subsequently not know if it came on for anything else, or be able to pass inspections if he has those where he's at)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, we have those here so he can't have the SES on unless they consider it as a non-emissions related malfunction. Either way, a tune is good for everything.

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
I think I am going to attempt this water pump swap myself. What you describe about a fan that does not engage properly sounds a bit like my vehicle. No over heating, but weak AC in the summer, and poor cooling at idle. When I have the fan off during the water pump swap, is there a way to "bench test" it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No but the symptoms you describe are indicative of a failed fan clutch. Given the mileage, I'd change it. Stay away from Dorman or eBay unknown junk. Hayden is the preferred brand for price and quality. Water pump, I had bad luck with Gates and Cardone but great luck with ACDelco.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Lee

Feb 12, 2016
Cleveland
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been reading this site and the old one for a few years now. I am about to tackle this job too, I ordered the water pump off Amazon(AC Delco) and am about to get the fan clutch off Rock Auto. Is the Hayden 3200 the one to get? It says thermal on it and above someone said you need a tune after? They have the Hella as well I'm just confused which one to go for.
I really appreciate this site BTW, I've learned so much!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Get the Hayden.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know where you're getting your info but the Hayden 3200 is electro-viscous, not thermal. No tune needed with this one.

Lee

Feb 12, 2016
Cleveland
Rock autos web site says thermal in the description. In the "more info" it doesn't though,,but either way it'll be here Friday. Then comes getting the old one off,,,

BlackInk

Oct 7, 2013
Just swapped my water pump and fan clutch. I rinsed everything down and wiped down the belt before putting it all back together. However, after running 10 miles or so the belt started making noise. Do I have a bad pulley now? Is the belt maybe a little loose?

Both?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Could be the idler pulley. Is it a squeak or a squeal? Squeak, to me, would indicate the pulley.

Lee

Feb 12, 2016
Cleveland
That's really the easy part. See my link in post #3 of this thread
I saw that a few days ago, appreciate you taking the time to write it up! My co-worker has a serpentine belt tool and a fan clutch tool he is gonna let me borrow. If I have a problem with that, I'm not sure what a M8 bolt is lol **actually I'm dumb we have a bunch of those bolts in our QC lab M8 1.25 x 20's hex

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could just be the belt if you reinstalled it in the opposite direction. I had the same thing with a seemingly good belt. Put a new belt, all good. Also check the tensioner as well as the idler pulleys and alternator.

Reactions: xavierny25

Lee

Feb 12, 2016
Cleveland
Finished this up earlier today, ran into trouble when I snapped one of the water pump bolts off tightening the new one down. It was about an inch in so I tried backing it out with easy outs and no go. Had thoughts of leaving it b/c it was the one at the top, but that isn't right so I drilled it down, got a tap from work and a new bolt from the dealer and back in business 2 days later lol. Its been crazy b/c its been snowing and cold but this afternoon I got the fan clutch on, new belt on, new hose on, fired her up and no leaks. The noise from the water pump is gone and it seems like the fan has a lot more power. Thanks again for the write ups on this site and all the help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online