engine cutting off

lionpaw

Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
I have a 2003 i6 chevy trailblazer when I slow down or come to a stop &go to give it gas I can feel it bubble & stall before it gets gas & every once in awhile it will cut off completely. Put a chep odbii tool on it & a p0440 code comes up can some1 help & tell me wats causing the problems

It has 199026 mil but I leaved out that when the engine shuts off an oil pressure low warning reads on the dash board but I checked the oil its at fill

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
p0440, loose gas cap ? Check for cracks in filler tube, etc ?

Also have you cleaned your throttle body lately

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
p0440 involves the EVAP Emission System. I'm not sure on the specifics.

However stalling and sluggishness when idling or trying to get started is commonly caused by a dirty throttle body - a very common problem in this platform due to the nature of the emissions setup, where gases are returned to the intake manifold behind the throttle plate. There is a great article on here in the Articles section up top detailing how to clean your throttle body.

As for the p0440 issue, I'm unsure if it is related in any way to a potentially sticky throttle body or other sluggishness, but it may be if it's a loose gas cap or something. Others can likely shed more light on this issue.

How many miles does the vehicle have on it?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
The OBDII code you found can mean a few things like the purge solenoid could be bad or the air check valve is stuck. I had that code get set from having a seized air check valve that sits at the exhaust manifold. With the stalling issue I would clean that throttle body out. I had a bad throttle body somehow so it needed to be replaced but the amount of junk that builds up on the back of the throttle plate is insane because of our engines design. Its easy to take the throttle body off and clean, I do mine 3 times a year to keep up on it and never have had that slow acceleration or stalling at stops problem reoccur. Mine would once in awhile stall at stops or you could feel it want to die and then it would catch itself and keep running and sometimes when I go to accelerate it would go up in RPM, drop in RPM and then go back up all while I maintained constant pressure on the gas pedal. My throttle body was gummed up with carbon and oil.

lionpaw

Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
IllogicTC said:
p0440 involves the EVAP Emission System. I'm not sure on the specifics.

However stalling and sluggishness when idling or trying to get started is commonly caused by a dirty throttle body - a very common problem in this platform due to the nature of the emissions setup, where gases are returned to the intake manifold behind the throttle plate. There is a great article on here in the Articles section up top detailing how to clean your throttle body.

As for the p0440 issue, I'm unsure if it is related in any way to a potentially sticky throttle body or other sluggishness, but it may be if it's a loose gas cap or something. Others can likely shed more light on this issue.

How many miles does the vehicle have on it?

It has 199026 mil but I leaved out that when the engine shuts off an oil pressure low warning reads on the dash board but I checked the oil its at fill

lionpaw

Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
kickass audio said:
The OBDII code you found can mean a few things like the purge solenoid could be bad or the air check valve is stuck. I had that code get set from having a seized air check valve that sits at the exhaust manifold. With the stalling issue I would clean that throttle body out. I had a bad throttle body somehow so it needed to be replaced but the amount of junk that builds up on the back of the throttle plate is insane because of our engines design. Its easy to take the throttle body off and clean, I do mine 3 times a year to keep up on it and never have had that slow acceleration or stalling at stops problem reoccur. Mine would once in awhile stall at stops or you could feel it want to die and then it would catch itself and keep running and sometimes when I go to accelerate it would go up in RPM, drop in RPM and then go back up all while I maintained constant pressure on the gas pedal. My throttle body was gummed up with carbon and oil.

lionpaw

Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
JerryIrons said:
p0440, loose gas cap ? Check for cracks in filler tube, etc ?

Also have you cleaned your throttle body lately

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
lionpaw said:

Holy triple post bat man :biggrin:

That happens sometimes. What happens is when the idle dips/truck stalls, you lose some oil pressure because the engine isnt idling high enough to create adequate oil pressure to keep the PCM happy. Anytime any of my Trailvoy's have stalled, I get that warning on the DIC (Driver Information Center) too. Its not the cause, its just an effect.

Like somebody else said, clean your throttle body ASAP. Have you changed spark plugs lately and if so what do you have in there? Lastly, nothing keeps things nice and clean like a good ol' bottle of Techon Concentrate run through the gas tank.

rtliquid

Aug 6, 2015
I have the same problem .... kinda. '04 TB I6 156,000 miles. I've had it for a month and put 1,000 on it. I've never driven any others to compare it to, but to me, it runs and drives like new. Good power, smooth, idles right at 650 and except for a slight "buzz" on the steering wheel, you wouldn't even know it was running at idle. The problem ... 3 times since I've had it, it's died while sitting at a redlight. It doesn't spit/sputter/cough or anything - just shuts off. It starts right back up and runs fine. Two other times, it kinda coughed but stayed running. No codes.

I've changed the air filter (old K&N was disgustingly filthy). I'm going to change the plugs and clean the throttle body, but it seems to me if it was either/both of those, it would also run poorly, not just die at idle.

Anything else I should check before I get to the plugs and tb? Kinda sounds like a bad/loose ground maybe? (I have no idea how I'd track that down). Tough to troubleshoot without any codes.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Two things come to mind. Check the underhood grounds, especially those on the engine. Then, the ignition switch may need to be replaced as it has often cited for intermittent electrical gremlins.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online