Embroidered headrests

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I see embroidered headrests on the TS-SS, on Cadillacs, and some other nice, high-end, or luxury cars. I was thinking about taking the covers off my Envoy SLT front headrests and having them embroidered. This is just a quick mockup I did in Photoshop. What do you think? Have you seen this before or does anybody else have something like it? I don't think it would be very expensive just taking it to a local shop. Since right now I'm one-handed anybody know how difficult it is to remove the cover from the head rest? How about the difficulty in putting it back on the head rest?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416042341.642454.jpg

The slight curve is just my trying to make it look like it's followed the contour of the head rest.

Reactions: Aarkon

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Headrest should pull right out, but you will need two hands for that.
I'm familiar with getting the unit off the seat, but how about pulling the leather cover off of it or putting it back on it?

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Would anyone else be interested? Other designs that would be universal? I'm getting a quote now for a 4 or 5 color setup. I figure it might look nice on any GMC.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
dmanns67 said:
I think the demand for this might turn out like the GMC door sill thread.
Agreed[emoji106]

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Not really a group buy but offering up some contacts to the vendor. I'm hoping it is / was more of a price issue. Those billet sills were not low price, and the embroidery isn't specific to one platform like the sills were. You'd pull off the headrest covers, ship them and get them back probably a week later. Any GMC owner might want it.

Once the digitizing is done (and I have already made it into a vector. Likely they just have to put it into their machine's system to identify the type and size of stitches), it's probably cheap, say $30 plus shipping per set. I know billet parts are pricey, but a hundred bucks looks harder to me than, say, $40.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I don't think I've seen any with other than the front seats done. I guess I can ask for prices. You figure you'd pull off the covers and send them in. They'd stitch them, box them and send them back. I've asked for quotes from about 6 places. Hope to find more than the 1 that takes PayPal.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
I don't think I've seen any with other than the front seats done. I guess I can ask for prices. You figure you'd pull off the covers and send them in. They'd stitch them, box them and send them back. I've asked for quotes from about 6 places. Hope to find more than the 1 that takes PayPal.
Yeah I guess you really would not want to do the rear seats. The two front seats would be ok. Wonder what they would do for chevy, maybe a stitched bowtie :undecided:

I think I like my leather plain.

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
This gave me an idea, for anyone with cloth seats why not try something like this?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231232826719&alt=web

There are hundreds of different styles and you could iron them on. I might try it to see how well it works :yes:
I like the idea, but for the size of our headrests for my tastes the iron on patches will be a little too small and I also think it will look a little too "ghetto." I think the embroidering will look more factory appearance as well as upscale. Just my 2¢.

Reactions: BHAMER

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
Yeah I guess you really would not want to do the rear seats. The two front seats would be ok. Wonder what they would do for chevy, maybe a stitched bowtie :undecided:

I think I like my leather plain.
Once I get a good price I will ask about other designs. I think an un-filled in bowtie would look fantastic. Just the outline in the yellow/gold color (or choose the body color, or whatever color you want).

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
Once I get a good price I will ask about other designs. I think an un-filled in bowtie would look fantastic. Just the outline in the yellow/gold color (or choose the body color, or whatever color you want).
The outline of a bowtie would look good. Maybe in black or a dark silver. Dont think I would want orange or yellow. Think it would be hard to color match desert metallic.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
The outline of a bowtie would look good. Maybe in black or a dark silver. Dont think I would want orange or yellow. Think it would be hard to color match desert metallic.
I guess it all depends on the color of your interior.

On a side note, I'd forgotten how to remove the headrest (with the paperclip) and was getting aggravated earlier.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
This is the digitized / vector graphic version of the GMC logo that I am sending to vendors for an a price quote. I've told them I'd like it somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3's the width of the headrest, so about 4.5" - 6" wide, and proportional height to the graphic.

gmc-from-vector.jpg

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Folks - I've got a firm price of $15 per cover on this. I am going to have them done within 2 weeks and I'll post photos, etc. I will see if I can set it up with the owner to allow stuff to be shipped with a self addressed and stamped box/bag for return and how they'd like to handle payment. If they don't have it I'll suggest PayPal. Again, this isn't a group buy, but I figure if anyone is interested it'll be worth my time to ask. If no one is interested I'll just take mine and be done. Let me know if you have any interest. You figure it would be about (from anywhere in the USA) $5.65 each way for postage with free box from the USPS.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
$15 per headrest is not bad. Is the company located in Cali? Did you find a design and send it to them and say I want this embroidered?

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
$15 per headrest is not bad. Is the company located in Cali? Did you find a design and send it to them and say I want this embroidered?
Yes, they're here in Cali, but about an hour away from me. The design I sent to them is below. Lots of questions from me and good communication from them.

Aarkon said:
That sounds like a decent deal
Agreed!

What I sent them:
gmc-from-vector.jpg

EDIT - noticed the graphic here shows a thin border. There is none on the one sent.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Aarkon

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
smt 59 said:
Any word on international shipping?
I don't know about shipping from Canada to the US, but shipping to Canada USPS is about $20 return postage and UPS is $22. I guessed at 1 pound and a box of 8" x 6" x 4".

Want to be sure - I was looking at this as a "send in your covers and they'll get sent back" item. It looks like it would more than double the price for you. I can certainly send you the files I used if you want to check with a local shop, or if you want something else let me know.

Reactions: smt 59

smt 59

mcsteven said:
I don't know about shipping from Canada to the US, but shipping to Canada USPS is about $20 return postage and UPS is $22. I guessed at 1 pound and a box of 8" x 6" x 4".

Want to be sure - I was looking at this as a "send in your covers and they'll get sent back" item. It looks like it would more than double the price for you. I can certainly send you the files I used if you want to check with a local shop, or if you want something else let me know.
Thank you for the info, its a nice to have and I love the idea. I may have a contact in Huntington Beach in January and may be able to go through them.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Just yell if I can be of any help.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I decided I'm going to drive them down there if it will be a quick turn around. Sent a note on Wed and received a "closed till Monday" reply. I'll call on Mon the 1st. I'll update as I get info.

Reactions: dmanns67

02blackenvoy

Feb 1, 2014
mcsteven said:
I decided I'm going to drive them down there if it will be a quick turn around. Sent a note on Wed and received a "closed till Monday" reply. I'll call on Mon the 1st. I'll update as I get info.

Any updates yet?

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Sorry, not yet. I have them boxed and ready to go but have not wanted to stand in line at the post office. I should probably get them sent this week.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
When I cleaned out the truck today, I realized that I hadn't gotten my headrest covers back yet. I called the embroiderer and she stated she'd never received them. "Are you sure? Because I have the tracking info." "Nope, never received them."

I called 1-800-ASK-USPS, gave them the tracking info. Was told they'd need info for a claim. I'm getting the price of new covers, the embroidery costs, and postage. Take a week to 10 days for investigation they said (short time but he said since it's been too long for delivery already) and I should have a check. I'll call the GM dealer in a few hours. Glad I pay the extra for "signature required" on most everything I send.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I had just steam & brush cleaned them, and they didn't have a scratch on them. I'll check the wrecking yards to see if they have them, but I'm filing the claim for the price of new and more.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpepmeie

Members Online