Eastern Canada Check-In

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
After reading all the posts in this thread, I thought I would jump in and bridge the gap between Ontario and the Atlantic side. There seemed to be a big void in the middle until I saw a small post from mika from Montreal (Pierrefonds), so I thought I'd come in and keep him company. I'm also from Montreal (LaSalle). Just wondering where the other people from Quebec are. Unless something drastic happened, I'm sure we're still part of Canada.

kenmyfam

Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
Denis7966 said:
After reading all the posts in this thread, I thought I would jump in and bridge the gap between Ontario and the Atlantic side. There seemed to be a big void in the middle until I saw a small post from mika from Montreal (Pierrefonds), so I thought I'd come in and keep him company. I'm also from Montreal (LaSalle). Just wondering where the other people from Quebec are. Unless something drastic happened, I'm sure we're still part of Canada.

Welcome. Oh yes you are part of Canada !!! great to see you out here.:smile::thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was born and raised in Quebec and just moved out almost 3 years ago. The income taxes were just killing me there which was on of the reasons I moved. Fluently bilingual.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
CdnGMan said:
Nope, but I gotta figure out a way to secure / seal it until I make it up your way...
Will painters tape do ya think?

Painter's tape won't hold at 100KM/hr+. Dab of clear silicone under the flap, then seal it with a light bead along the edges. Let cure for at least 24hrs before driving. Should hold until you get here. I've got stuff that will disolve the silicone and leave the chrome. We can then fix it.

Denis7966 said:
I'm also from Montreal (LaSalle). Just wondering where the other people from Quebec are. Unless something drastic happened, I'm sure we're still part of Canada.

:rotfl: I thought they had finnished sawing you guys off at the Rideau Canal and pushing you out into the Atlantic... :raspberry:

Many of the others from the OS haven't made it across yet... They're either lost or inactive I guess.

Glad to have you here though! Welcome! :thumbsup:

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Hey there, from bramaldesh, browntown. Oops I mean Brampton.

Why not powercoat those rims.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
rmsg0040 said:

Why not powercoat those rims.

Greetings! & Good question.

I can help with that too... or have them re-chromed.

But then again, when you're not the wallet, it's easy to ask these types of questions. :biggrin:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
rmsg0040 said:

LOL, I know what you mean.. A couple of weeks ago I drove down airport road to Brampton(I
'm from the North) to get a rear liftgate molding.
I swear I had entered into a foreign country!!!!!!!
I couldn't read the store signs or the newspapers at the stores, or the street names, etc.
The houses/stores looked like something I saw on IRT Dangerous roads India!!! :crazy:
I had no idea what the seller was trying to tell me when I got there... I'm already partial deaf, and the family didn't speak English, just some form of Engrish.
In the end, I just used text msgs to communicate while they were standing in front of me.

Oh well, I guess were all Canadians eh? :biggrin:

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
harmless said:
Greetings! & Good question.

I can help with that too... or have them re-chromed.

But then again, when you're not the wallet, it's easy to ask these types of questions. :biggrin:

More of a suggestion is what I meant

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
harmless said:
Oh I figured.

He'll probably end up eventually doing that. :cool:

True... it's just a matter of the cost really... besides, if I can get at least one summer out of them without having to sink too much into them, I'll be beyond happy...
As it stands I'm way ahead when you consider the investment paid... :thumbsup:

I know a guy who does that kind of stuff....

I think what you meant to say is "I'll see how much my guy charges for that sort of thing..."
Right? :wink:

kenmyfam

Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
CdnGMan said:
I'm thinking that a glossy black would look quite awesome... but I have nothing to measure it against, aside from the SS rims that have been done...
Again, what would the cost be to do that? I think that would be a winter project... no? :confused:

I can get glossy black e-coat locally here if you like.

Denis7966

Dec 22, 2011
Mooseman said:
I was born and raised in Quebec and just moved out almost 3 years ago. The income taxes were just killing me there which was on of the reasons I moved. Fluently bilingual.
Born and raised in Montreal and fluently bilingual myself :thumbsup:.
As for you moving, I can sympathize - taxes in general over here are ridiculous :weird:, and to top it off the PST is going up 1% on January 1st. We'll be up to 9.5% plus the GST of 5% making our total sales tax 14.5% :duh:; and don't get me going on income taxes...:banghead:

harmless said:
:rotfl: I thought they had finnished sawing you guys off at the Rideau Canal and pushing you out into the Atlantic... :raspberry:

Many of the others from the OS haven't made it across yet... They're either lost or inactive I guess.

Glad to have you here though! Welcome! :thumbsup:
Nice to be here.
In 1995 I could almost smell the Atlantic at my doorstep. They pushed hard, but I don't think they realized that Labrador was still attached :crackup:. Thankfully the "sawing" was never finished :nono: , it was put on hold until they can find a bigger saw; one that has 51 teeth as opposed to 49. [read teeth as % vote - yes it was THAT close!]
Quebec? :missing:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
blue_devil said:
hello from Port Aux Basques Newfoundland, anyone else from western newfoundland here?
Welcome me son!
I'm not from Port Aux Basques either, but we drove through it after getting off the boat on our way to visit my wife's family in the Burin Peninsula.

Funny True Story!
A few Xmas's ago.
We are on the new boat. We are out there for 32 hours due to high winds. Now we know why there are straps in the bunks!
We land, the boat hits the dock. It opens a hole in it's hull. We are on the last ferry crossing before Xmas.

Then when we get off, we visit the nice railroad museum that you have to let the dogs do thier business.
We ask a local for a good place to eat breackfast.(really nice people there)
They suggest a local place in a mall that's close by.
The restaurant has wooden benches. (It was the best breackfast ever!)
I look across the table and I notice that my wife is swaying!
I ask her what's up? She says, 'Wait, I was going to ask you why you were swaying?'

The whole family was slowly rocking back and forth on these wooden benches just minutes after getting off the boat!!!!
Worse yet, we couldn't stop swaying!!!!
It took us a while to figure out that we where on land!

These are my favorite memories of Port Aux Basques!!! Great place to visit! :wootwoot:

mika

Dec 6, 2011
Denis7966 said:
Born and raised in Montreal and fluently bilingual myself :thumbsup:.
As for you moving, I can sympathize - taxes in general over here are ridiculous :weird:, and to top it off the PST is going up 1% on January 1st. We'll be up to 9.5% plus the GST of 5% making our total sales tax 14.5% :duh:; and don't get me going on income taxes...:banghead:

Nice to be here.
In 1995 I could almost smell the Atlantic at my doorstep. They pushed hard, but I don't think they realized that Labrador was still attached :crackup:. Thankfully the "sawing" was never finished :nono: , it was put on hold until they can find a bigger saw; one that has 51 teeth as opposed to 49. [read teeth as % vote - yes it was THAT close!]

:iagree:, on the taxes that is, they are robbing use of our hard earned money, don't yhink they care much though, they just keep raising the darn thing every 6 months or so while our salerys just see to be frozen in time.
It's also nice to see some one else from Montreal kicking about, it was not long ago that I posted about how many Voy's and Trailblazers I see driving about and there is very little in the fourum.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I could see the difference in taxes. I lived in Gatineau and worked in Ottawa. Between me and my wife, we paid an extra $7000-8000 each year at tax time. Now, living in Ottawa, we get money back! I do have to say that daycare was cheap at the time.

And hasn't Charest brought the HST to you too? Prepare to pay more on everything! I'm surprised Squinty McGuinty survived the last election. Too bad we can't do like BC and vote this hated tax out :mad:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Denis7966 said:

:rotfl: Yes, I remember that referendum. As for Labrador, it was in the plans to give that to Quebec as we pushed it out to sea. The population would need someplace to banish the politicians once people realised what kind of mistake that would have been... :biggrin: Heaven knows they wouldn't be able to claim asylum here!! :tongue:

Mooseman said:
I'm surprised Squinty McGuinty survived the last election. Too bad we can't do like BC and vote this hated tax out :mad:

Me too. Problem is as a collective whole, we Canadians don't know how to vote properly or care enough to do so. Only 49.2% of Ontario's voters got off their asses to re-elect this ass... But then again, aren't they all crooked somehow - se we can't win. :lipsrsealed:

If the population actually got up and did something about their state of affairs instead of just talking about it in local coffee shops, we probably could do like B.C. did... and probably more! :redface:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
St. John's Newfoundland checking in.
I'm betting I'm the most eastern in this eastern Canada thread :biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Actually, I think we have someone from New Brunswick hanging around... :undecided:

Either way, YES! Welcome!

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
harmless said:
Actually, I think we have someone from New Brunswick hanging around... :undecided:

Oh Harmless I'm hurt! Please go find a map, I'm in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. St. John's is a 15 hour drive and 7 hour ferry east of NB.

But no harm done :smile:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Oh Harmless I'm hurt! Please go find a map, I'm in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. St. John's is a 15 hour drive and 7 hour ferry east of NB.

... and thus "harmless". :biggrin:

I take back what I said. Yes, you are correct. You are furthur than N.B. is. My bad. :dunce:

You'd never know Geography was my strong class back in school... :lipsrsealed: :crazy:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:

Welcome!

My wife's Parents are from Lamaline NL (just a few minutes from France).
A couple of years ago, we drove 'down home' for Xmas.
That 7hour ferry ride turned into 32 hours and the 'new boat' hit the dock at Port Aux Basques.

I guess the ride length depends on which boat you take.
The new boat is very fancy, but the ride is much rougher, and it seems fragile.

Although I can't remember much of the three weeks that we spent there (kind of a fuzzy alcohol induced haze), I had the time of my life!
Don't even ask to see the pics of my wife and I doing naughty things to the moose's balls at Goobies. All I can say is that they are well polished from use.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
harmless said:

Another "Mainlander" mistaking Saint John, NB for St. John's, NL! Welcome to the Nation, NewfieEnvoy,!

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Canadian Mike said:
Another "Mainlander" mistaking Saint John, NB for St. John's, NL! Welcome to the Nation, NewfieEnvoy,!

Nah. I keep forgetting that Quebec (the land of poutine) takes up some space there. :raspberry:

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
harmless said:
Nah. I keep forgetting that Quebec (the land of poutine) takes up some space there. :raspberry:

:biggrin: Can't forget the first time I had poutine, Resto Lafluer, back in the early '80s.

Dec 4, 2011
Who said Quebec was "Good for Nothing", obviously doesn't know the history of Poutine. :argue:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
RedEnvoyDenal said:
Who said Quebec was "Good for Nothing", obviously doesn't know the history of Poutine. :argue:

Or assinine, single-minded politicians. :eek: :biggrin:

... but this ain't the place for it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.