E Brake stuck part way on

Picks99

Original poster
May 7, 2017
Canada
Hey guys, new to the forum. Bought an old chev silverado 2001, and Im working on learning a few things. Truck is in good shape but sat for a while, wile replacing a break line and caliper I had the e brake engaged and now it is stuck part way on. No warning light and truck drives forward and in reverse but I can hear some faint scraping and the truck won't roll on hills. 99% sure its the brake engaged a bit. Its a work truck so I don't care if the ebrake works at all, is there an easy way to adjust the ebrakes? I have read that that some have an adjust just wonderinf if it is hidden behind the caliper or can I just pop the tire off and get at it easy....its been raining for a couple days so I have just popped the tire off myself to see. Thanks for any advice

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are 2 adjustment points on this system. There is the cable adjustment and the shoe adjustment. If your cable is too tight, then you'll need to loosen it at the adjustment bolt where the cable splits (equalizer). If not, then it could be a seized cable from the equalizer to the wheel or internally inside the Disc/drum itself but the cable is more likely. You should be able to get the lever out of the back of the actuator or off the end of the cable or just cut the cable. Another thing would be to force the disc/drum off by using the two bolt holes to force it off.

Reactions: Picks99

Picks99

Original poster
May 7, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the reply, if I adjust the cables at the split then I'll know if its the cables siezed or not so start there? I'm sure I can find it. It has disk brakes in the back...I am trying to avoid taking the calipers off as I currently don't have an ideal spot to block it up, but I will if I have to. How much damage am I doing driving it like this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At the very least, you'll wear out the shoes. Could overheat them to the point of heating the wheel and blowout the tire, burn the axle seal and leak fluid and/or catch fire.

Yeah, start at the cable adjustment.

Picks99

Original poster
May 7, 2017
Canada
Thanks again...I'm sure I will be back, my next door neighbour is a mechanic but I hate bugging him.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just pay him with beer :Lager Louts:

Picks99

Original poster
May 7, 2017
Canada
He gets lots of beer, haha....

Here is a question, might sound dumb...with only one tire blocked up can I spin it and hear if the scrape to check for it after I adjust the cables?

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
He gets lots of beer, haha....

Here is a question, might sound dumb...with only one tire blocked up can I spin it and hear if the scrape to check for it after I adjust the cables?
You mean jacked up? You need the pair up to rotate it.

Picks99

Original poster
May 7, 2017
Canada
It is obviously a seized cable just by looking at the equalizer, one is tight and the other pulled out but didn't go back in, by shaking the cable and gently twisting and bending it did go in a bit....any tips for loosening it up the rest of the way? I woudl rather fix it right than just cut the cable off. Are there levers on the brakes I can just hammer out?

Thanks alot for all the answers, I learned a few new things

Picks99

Original poster
May 7, 2017
Canada
Thanks guys, got it fixed up, just hammered the little lever back in.....now rolls backwards and forwards on s light hill and no more scrapping....thanks again.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was just going to suggest that :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online