Driver side rear tire wearing on outside

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Hello all, I have an issue that I am hoping to get some insight on. About 4,000 miles ago I installed some new wheels and tires on my Rainier. I went with 20" TBSS replica wheels and Cooper Discoverer H/T plus tires. I have noticed that the drivers side rear tire is wearing weird on the outer edge only. I have checked the pressure and all four tires read the same as they did when installed.

Prior to installing these wheels and tires I had a slow leak in the drivers side rear tire that I would have to fill every other day or so. With that being said, there was some wear on the outer edge of the old tires that I attributed to the slow leak and running low on pressure from time to time. It was also prevalent on the inside edge which is to be expected as well. After taking a closer look at the issue tire sitting in my garage, I noticed that the outside edge did actually wear differently and more so than the inside edge, although the inside was worn due to low pressure as well.

With all that being said, what could the issue be? I have not had the truck aligned (yet) but it has always, and still does drive straight and true. Is there anything that they can do for rear alignment since it's a solid axle? The front tires are wearing normal, as well as the passenger rear. Only issue is with the drivers rear tire. With the windows down and making a left hand turn I do hear the tires scrubbing (for lack of a better word) on the pavement but figured that was part of having the wider, brand new tread tires.

I need to get this remedied before ruining a brand new 20" tire completely. I know I need to get it aligned at some point, but was waiting until I could get the new struts installed. I have done the rear shocks, but the old tires were running on the old shocks and still had the same effect.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't know what could be done as far as rear alignment goes, but I suppose if that rear wheel was toed in, it might cause some excessive wear on the outside. When you coast, does the truck start slowing down right away? I know mine coasts really well and takes quite a while to start dropping speed. When my alignment was off, speed would drop much faster and I had the tire wear to show for it.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Doesn't slow down more than usual for being AWD. According to the DIC I am averaging 18.9 mpg on this tank and the DIC is usually1/2 mpg higher than when I actually calculate it. I think that seems to be good for the 5.3 and AWD.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It's still early, so maybe someone with more knowledge of our suspensions will have some ideas. Getting that alignment checked is the only thing I can think to do next.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it even wear all around the tire or just a spot or spots? Spin the tire and see if it runs true. Could be a bent axle or wheel. Check the condition of your axle suspension arms. There have been reports or some rusting through and breaking.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
The tire may be cupping. Have the balance checked and make sure the tire pressure is correct.
I like to run 35lbs. in mine, seems to help with wear.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
It has even wear all around the edge, just wearing down faster like it would if it was low on air. It did the same thing with the old tires and wheels. Tire pressure on all four tires is the same and all others are wearing normal. Tire pressure is actually set pretty high at 42 ish lbs. and one would think they would wear in the middle faster but that's not the case. This is how the tire pressure was set with nitrogen when I got the wheels and tires.

I am going to rotate the tires this evening and see if it follow the wheel, or stays in that location on truck. While I am doing that I will take a look at all the suspension pieces under there. I did replace the rear shocks a few weeks ago, but it was doing the same thing prior to replacing them. Also, there is virtually no rust under it at all. It is very clean.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
RedRocketZ28 said:
It did the same thing with the old tires and wheels... I am going to rotate the tires this evening and see if it follow the wheel, or stays in that location on truck.
Technically you already went through this line of troubleshooting, by using a completely different wheel and tire. So it has to be something with the rear driver's side suspension/driveline causing this.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like a bent axle tube to get that kinda wear.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Well that would certainly suck if that is the case. This was a one owner, old lady driven, with no accidents vehicle before I purchased it. I have done nothing but replace some fluids, put new shocks, wheels and tires on it. It drives straight down the road, does not pull hard to either side, and drives very well.

I will get the tires rotated and poke around underneath to see if I can find anything out of the ordinary. I'll be driving it over 600 miles this coming weekend so should be able to get a good idea if the tire wear follows the tire or starts on the freshly rotated one. When I get back I plan on installing the front struts and getting into an alignment shop anyway.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Can you take a pic of the wear, showing the feathering pattern or maybe the cupping?

How fast do you take off ramps? :smile:

Have someone follow you at about 50 MPH and watch the drivers side, get a good view down the entire length right where the view of the left rear almost covers the left front. When you turn the wheel slightly to the left then straighten out, the view should stay the same when you straighten out, if the left rear walks out and blocks the view of the left front then you may have a serious alignment issue.

The crabbing takes place at a slow rate but quickly right after you straighten out, but visible from behind.

Do you by chance have to compensate slightly with left pressure on the steering when driving straight? Does this pull if you have any, happen a second or 2 after you straighten out?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Something else came to mind is the 4 dog bone links for lack of better terms that connect the rear axle to the frame. They have rubber inserts or bushings and one could be worn. Also, check the track bar right behind the rear axle but that would cause other more noticeable issues.

Check that all the bolts are present for the 4 control arm links or "dog bones" as well as the condition of the rubber bushings.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Thanks, GMCMAN. I will get some pictures up this evening when I get home from work.

Off ramps are taken at normal speed. I am not crazy enough to push the Rainier to the edge of flipping over, ha.

There is a slight pull to left, if anything at all. It really drives pretty straight down the road. Letting go of the wheel for a second does show that slight pull to the left but it is very small. I know I need to get it aligned, that's for sure.

I didn't get a chance to look at it last night as I had other things going on. Tonight I am going to get it up on jack stands, rotate the tires (it's due anyway), and check over the rear suspension good. While I am doing that I will get pictures of all the tires and post it up.

I appreciate all the help and insight. Gives me a place to start.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Alignment won't change anything in the rear. There's nothing to adjust or align back there. There has to be a physical/mechanical problem somewhere. Hopefully just a bad bushing or bearing...at worst maybe an axle shaft. That's easier to deal with than swapping the whole housing out if it's a bent tube.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
I know an alignment won't do anything in the rear. It will however tell me if everything is inline front to back. I want to get the front end aligned anyway when I get the new struts installed.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Attached pictures. The first two are the offending tire. The third pic is of the passenger side rear tire. I've looked at all the suspension components and nothing is bent, and all feels solid.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443044182.216897.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443044182.216897.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 11
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443044196.034553.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443044196.034553.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 11
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443044204.769139.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443044204.769139.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 11

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
RedRocketZ28 said:
There is a slight pull to left, if anything at all. It really drives pretty straight down the road. Letting go of the wheel for a second does show that slight pull to the left but it is very small.
Ok, I was looking for you having to constantly correct to the left, not pulling to the left which would require you compensating with right wheel input. So are you applying pressure to the right or the left on the steering wheel?

Correct, there is no alignment to the rear but if one of the 4 control arms are worn then it could possibly alter the angle of the axle.

I would look for any paint cracking or rust near the center of the axle or "pumpkin" where the axle tubes enter.Was the vehicle ever in an accident? Could have been rear-ended and the axle tube pushed forward, only takes a fraction of an inch.

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
Applying pressure to the right of the steering wheel. It will want to drive left the slightest bit if I let go of the wheel.

The vehicle was never in an accident to my knowledge. I purchased it a year ago from a dealer as a one owner, clean carfax vehicle. I looked at the axle tubes and they look the same on each side. I measured the distance of the wheels in relation to how they sit front to back in the wheel wells. Both sides are sitting dang near identical in the wells. I could not find a thing wrong with any of the control arms, bushings, end links, etc. While the rear was jacked up I grabbed the wheel and tried moving it up and down, side to side, in and out, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary and once again, both sides felt the same.

I will see what happens on this tire rotation and go from there. I stated earlier that I will be taking a 600 mile trip in it this weekend to my parents condo down at the Lake of the Ozarks. I will be pulling our boat back as well. Once I get back I intend to get the front struts replaced and in for an alignment which is needed anyway.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would quit trying to figure out the rear until you see if getting the front properly aligned changes it. If the front is off enough it could be doing weird things to the tires in the back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online