NEED HELP Drive Train causing me some problems

dypanrich

Original poster
Nov 27, 2016
Kawartha lakes
Hi all 1st post here been looking thru forums to try and solve my issue tried a few but still having problem, here are the symptom’s I’m getting 2005 slt envoy with awd/4hi/4low I can hear the transfer motor whirl when I select any of them and it feels like a slight bump when it engages. Recently when I tested the awd and 4hi getting ready for rural Ontario Canada winter driving the car seemed to labour and groaning noise from front end could be heard, put it on ramps and noticed oil near front diff found the drain bolt to be loose (fingers undid it) so drained and refilled with correct grade oil. Tried awd/4hi on driveway seemed ok but decided to try at hiway speed 70km same thing happened groaning from front end and bogging down the engine speed. It’s dark here at this time but will put back on ramps in the morning and check for leakage again and update if there is any. Has anyone else come across this problem and what was the fix thanks in advance to everyone who answers.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You shouldn't use 4hi on dry asphalt at speed. That's probably what is happening as the driveline is binding up. To test it, put it in 4hi and try to turn slowly on asphalt. It should crow hop, which would indicate it's working normally. In AWD, only the front disconnect is engaged so that shouldn't have any effect. Only when it detects rear wheel spin it engages the transfer case to send power to the front wheels.

dypanrich

Original poster
Nov 27, 2016
Kawartha lakes
I should have put in original post on the day I tried it the temp was -7c and we were having snow fall so roads were snow covered, also I was in A4WD drive when hum and bogging down happened and switch to 4HI to see if it disappeared which it did not.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How's the transfer case fluid? Was it replaced as per recommended interval (80k Km)? Did it run better back in 2wd?

dypanrich

Original poster
Nov 27, 2016
Kawartha lakes
runs fine in 2wd and I have not checked transfer case fluid yet also can I use anything other than trakII as the nearest GM dealer is 40mins drive

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My dealer says you no longer need to use the trak2 fluid. the new dex6 fluid works fine. maybe some one on here can confirm this.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I dunno. The one that knows the least about GM products are dealers. I'd stick with the smurf blood.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Autotrak II for transfer case, Dex IV (used to be Dex III) for transmission.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
My dealer says you no longer need to use the trak2 fluid. the new dex6 fluid works fine. maybe some one on here can confirm this.
Newer gm products use the dex6 in their cases, our cases are designed different and still need the blue stuff

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is why I dont have or use a dealer.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That's why they didn't service my truck either

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online