Does anyone else replace shift solenoid valves?

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Been researching the transmission flush since its on the list to get done soon. My tranny seems good, but seems to stick in reverse and 1st gear once in awhile. While I have researched the posts here, no mention when dropping the tranny case, others have replaced the 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoid valves and at $13.95 per valve I would think it would be a "Yes"? My TB is at 97k miles

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. The more probable cause is the valve(s) in the valve body that are sticking. The shift kit does mention this when replacing them, caused by wear in the aluminum valve body.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I would say there is no harm in replacing the Shift Solenoids, my 1-2 solenoid failed in February (of course it happens in the middle of winter). I ordered both 1-2 and 3-4 off Amazon, a long with a new transmission pan made by Dorman with the drain plug to make any future tranny work easier.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Flushing the Transmission also means Flushing the Transmission Fluid Cooler. These are two things that should be done on a High Mileage Vehicle...BUT NEVER TOGETHER AS A SINGLE EVENT. Before Flushing the Transmission... Consider Reverse Flushing the Cooler FIRST and then Flush the Transmission afterwards... otherwise you can count on quickly Re-Contaminating the Transmission with much stored up waste hidden inside the Cooler.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Flushing the Transmission also means Flushing the Transmission Fluid Cooler. These are two things that should be done on a High Mileage Vehicle...BUT NEVER TOGETHER AS A SINGLE EVENT. Before Flushing the Transmission... Consider Reverse Flushing the Cooler FIRST and then Flush the Transmission afterwards... otherwise you can count on quickly Re-Contaminating the Transmission with much stored up waste hidden inside the Cooler.

How do you reverse flush the trans cooler? I will be changing the fluid this way and I would think that the trans cooler would be cleaned when I do this

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think a reverse flush is not required. The above method is sufficient to get funky old fluid out. If there are chunks that are so big that it takes a reverse flush of the cooler to dislodge, you have bigger problems.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
I think a reverse flush is not required. The above method is sufficient to get funky old fluid out. If there are chunks that are so big that it takes a reverse flush of the cooler to dislodge, you have bigger problems.

Yeah that's what I thought also, reverse flush???? On with what I was going to do in the first place

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okeedoke...

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Ok guys I am getting ready to order parts for my transmission fluid change and other fixes.

Will be ordering the following:
Ac Delco 24208576 Trans fluid filter complete kit (deep)
Ac Delco 10-9395 Dexron VI (2 gals)
Ac Delco 10-4017 Trak11 transfer case fluid (67.6oz)
Ac Delco 24230298 Shift Solenoids
1-2 (2)
3-4 (2)
Ac Delco 213-1689 (Gen 2) Manifold Oxygen Sensor

So I want to do a complete job and not be stopped in case I missed something. I assume the parts above need the following tools:

Oxygen sensor socket
Hand pump for the transfer case fluid change
Heavy Duty Penetrating Solvent (sensor)

Any thing I missed? Also since I have been looking up the shift solenoids and how cheap they are, would it be wise to replace ACDelco 24212327 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission 3-2 Shift Solenoid Valve? While I am there?

Once in a while I have a sticky reverse and 1st gear, but other then that its shifts good since it prob still has the original trans fluid since it left the dealership, its at 98k miles now.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
If you're going to be in there anyway, you might want to swap out the torque converter clutch solenoid, and the accumulator valves if yours has the plastic
pistons. The bore on the TCC solenoid passage can wear, and they make a replacement kit that's a slightly different size to fit past the areas that normally wear. There are some places that bore out the shaft and put a slightly larger piston in. The accumulators were originally plastic, especially on earlier years, and the plastic can fracture.

Oh..and they make a replacement separator plate that's slightly thicker than original to prevent one of the ball check valve balls from wearing through.

There's a vendor on ebay that offers complete kits and even rebuilt valve bodies (ctpowertrain). You might want to look at what his kit contains and see if you want to replicate that parts list if you haven't already started.

Good Luck!

Chris

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
If you're going to be in there anyway, you might want to swap out the torque converter clutch solenoid, and the accumulator valves if yours has the plastic
pistons. The bore on the TCC solenoid passage can wear, and they make a replacement kit that's a slightly different size to fit past the areas that normally wear. There are some places that bore out the shaft and put a slightly larger piston in. The accumulators were originally plastic, especially on earlier years, and the plastic can fracture.

Oh..and they make a replacement separator plate that's slightly thicker than original to prevent one of the ball check valve balls from wearing through.

There's a vendor on ebay that offers complete kits and even rebuilt valve bodies (ctpowertrain). You might want to look at what his kit contains and see if you want to replicate that parts list if you haven't already started.

Good Luck!

Chris

You mean this for valves? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TH350-350-T...e-Valve-Body-Accumulator-Spring-/290628329609

TCC? http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L80E-New-O...n-Torque-Converter-Clutch-Lock-Up-/8075008103

Unsure of the replacement separator plate, hes got a couple there.

Oh man why did you tell me this?:duh: This is a more involved process.

But lucky for me the forum had a member that did this

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads...and-replace-plastic-accumulator-pistons.4914/ Looks like I got some research and reading to do.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I changed mine when I replaced my separator plate just because they're relatively inexpensive and easy to change... at around 150-160K. If the trans makes it to 280K then I will do it again with another plate.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hand pump for the transfer case fluid change

Not needed as there is a drain plug for the TC.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do the diffs while you're at it but the TC is a definite priority.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So what is considered an update/upgrade when it comes to the tranny parts? I am not looking to do a rebuild or even go that route, I think the trans is fine. Its never been 4x4ing since my sister had it, and she got around 36k miles, I think its always been a grocery/highway suv , its going to stay that way. So with that, what is really necessary to change out?

Shift Solenoids
Torque converter clutch solenoid
Accumulator valves if they are plastic pistons

Looking at the Sonnax Performance Pack seems too much spent on a vehicle I may not keep with the next 6 months to a year. But looking at these Sonnex parts, might be a good upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCN9Z5A/?tag=gmtnation-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCNG4Q8/?tag=gmtnation-20

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Well I just got some information from "ctpowertrain" from Ebay who sells the tranny kits "Sorry we would have to recommend the age old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" especially if you are not planning to keep the vehicle long term and have no issues or codes with the transmission. But with that being said if you are going to service the transmission please note that to replace the valve body plate and accumulators the valve body assembly must come out and doing this may disrupt things a bit if not installed back properly"

"Hello, if all is well but you do already have the shift solenoids and they are 100% AC Delco in the box then you may still want to install them but be very careful not to break the wire harness connectors but if you do not have the solenoids we would not recommend changing them."

I am still debating on the solenoids, I have time since my Amazon gift cards will take a day or so, but since I honestly don't know if I keep the Trailblazer more than 6months to a year, I think he gave me sound advice.

AzTruckGuy

Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
So I went ahead and ordered the 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids since I only bought 2 gallons of Ac Delco 10-9395 Dexron VI realizing I would need 3.5gallons as per the video mention. Ok so I only need the 1-2 and 3-4, which a total of 2 solenoids correct? Before I was going to buy 4, think it was each one had its own, after looking at videos its really dumb not to change them out since I'm changing the fluid out anyways. I assume when I change out the tranny fluids and solenoids, the transmission should be in Park correct?

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online