Do I really need a new camshaft position actuator?

dlnelsonroca

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Cacalote, Oaxaca, Mexico
Hello! My car overheated when my wife was driving it recently, evidently badly because the mechanic here says that the head gasket blew. He's having to replace two lifters, all lubricants, several gaskets, and I don't know what else. I just two weeks ago replaced the the camshaft position actuator and the other sensor near it at the front of the motor, and also the oil pressure sensor on the driver side of the motor, all ACDelco since the car was throwing P014 and P016 codes. Yesterday he told me that the camshafpt position actuator, the one that you remove the power steering pump for (in case I don't really know what these parts are called!), will have been ruined by the overheating, and that I need to replace it. So my question is do I really need to replace this? It's a pain for me to get parts where I live, and it would delay the repair by some weeks. Thanks for your expert advice!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't see why it would have to be. The sensor maybe since it is a little more sensitive but the actuator... I can't really see why. Someone else may know better though.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I wouldn't replace it unless it was damaged.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For a severely overheated engine, I would do a full diagnostic with a compression test and replacement of the thermostat. To check the CPAS solenoid to definitely rule it out, you would need access to a Tech 2 scanner to diagnose it and the cam phaser/actuator. These should not fail due only to an overheat. I would see damaged valves and a warped head as a possibility.

dlnelsonroca

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Cacalote, Oaxaca, Mexico
Great! The mechanic is doing compression tests and checking the valves. The head has been ground. So we'll see what all's necessary in the end to get my Trailblazer running again! I'll tell him to put in the same camshaft position actuator for now. There are no Tech 2 scanners within a few hundred miles of where I am, unfortunately. I'll be in the States for a visit in August i ncase I need to pick up another one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online