Differential fill plug part number

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
2008 TB 4.2l 4x4

Going through flushing all old fluids. I was trying to get the rear differential fill plug out and that sucker will not budge. During my attempts to remove, I rounded some of the fill plug.

I still have not gotten it off, and wanted to get some suggestions on how to get it off, and also the part number of a new fill plug so I can replace it when I finally get it off.

thanks in advance

edit: plug number is 444788

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

SpeedUp

Original poster
Apr 15, 2017
McKinney, TX
Weird thing was I had no trouble getting my front fill and drain plugs out. Its the rear one thats a beotch.

I searched for fill plug numbers but for some reason, not coming up with one I can confirm on gmpartsgiant.com

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
2008 TB 4.2l 4x4

Going through flushing all old fluids. I was trying to get the rear differential fill plug out and that sucker will not budge. During my attempts to remove, I rounded some of the fill plug.

I still have not gotten it off, and wanted to get some suggestions on how to get it off, and also the part number of a new fill plug so I can replace it when I finally get it off.

thanks in advance

Had the same problem with our 04 TB when I did it. Save yourself a possible headache and do what I did. Take one of your 3-4in Socket extensions or a good size nut that's close to the diameter of the fill Plug to a shop. I took mine to a Exhaust shop and have them weld the item to the fill Plug and bust it loose. But yes, you will want the new fill plug with you so they can install it. Sorry but can't recall the part number, I went to my local Chevy dealer and it was around $6-8.

Hope this helps.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:duh:
Rear diff. Sorry about that.

Here are a couple of threads on removing the REAR plug:
Rear Diff Fill Plug
Questions on removing stripped rear diff. fill plug with air ...

Couldn't find a part number but the dealer should be able to find it. Online parts fiches are crap. They're definitely holding back.

If you use a 3/8 extension, if it's an old one, it helps to grind down the end so it's completely flat. That way, it bites deeper into the plug.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.