Didn't realize Changing the brakes was so involved...

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Found this LINK doing my searching. Very involved, much more than I imagined.

Thinking the 15 minutes on my Dakota front end... I must have missed a lot. OR, the TB has much more involved. Our brakes need replaced, I just got the parts, but I do not have the 4 hours the link describes.

Can I do this an axle at a time, or is it necessary to spend half a day? Knowing me, it will take twice as long the first time, then half the time there after.

Thanks!

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Looks to me like they included instructions for the rears, changing rotors, and bleeding the brake fluid.

If your just changing the pads, you can skip most of it. It's pretty simple. The steps about the parking brake are only for the rear.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It isn't that bad. Pad and rotor change can be done in 15 min per side if you've done brakes before. Lot of steps I suppose, but that link goes into a lot of detail. When you're doing it there isn't much time involved.

Reactions: yodaddy4200

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
Mine apparently weren't changed in a while the first time I did them after I got mine. Ended up busting my face on the rear wheel well when the caliper bolt let go and almost knocking myself out. Black eye but new brakes haha. Luckily i took my glasses off. Use lots of anti seize. Other than that it's an easy job.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Okay... I've never bled brakes before, so I guess I get to learn now.

Thanks y'all. Doing pads and rotors when I get the chance... for now, her truck is parked.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The trickiest part for me, that can take 2 or 20 minutes, is sliding the pad ears back into the caliper. If the pads are even 0.001 degree tilted, it makes the ears not fit back into their slots. Some pads are made with a few thousandths of an inch more clearance, and slip right in. Others can be a frustration.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
pretty basic across the board when changing pads and rotors. I've done Nissan's, Subaru's, Chevy's, Dodge's, Ford's, Mitsubishi's, etc... and they're all just about the same. Some a little more complicated than others (pins holding the pads in compared to the regular hardware kits/clips), newer vehicles have the sensors, but for the most part it's all the same. I've never had to bleed brakes while just changing pads and rotors, but when changing calipers, definitely have to bleed brakes.

Don't over think things, and just get to it and before you know it, you'll be done. :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
It's hard to gauge the allotted time because everyone's skill level varies. I'm around 1-1.5 hours for pads rotors without lift/air tools.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
It's hard to gauge the allotted time because everyone's skill level varies. I'm around 1-1.5 hours for pads rotors without lift/air tools.
Yea that is about right. Just pads, Ive done them in parking lots in about 10 mins per side. Most of that is taking the wheel off and putting it back on.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Thanks for further input. On my way to Queretaro, MX, for a quick install. See y'all on the flip side!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I remember that...

Reactions: Hatchet

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Four hours? Sounds like a generous (for the business) shop quote, doing brakes all the way around. Per-axle isn't bad. I've only had to put my hands into brakes once before, and had help that time so it doesn't really count. Even then, I had pads and rotors done on the front in maybe a bit over an hour.

Six lug nuts off, tire off, 4 bolts off, remove caliper, remove rotor, pop the pads, pop the clips, bring pistons back to home position (while monitoring brake fluid level. This part can actually take a little time rolling solo), apply brake grease to new parts as necessary, reverse to put it all back together. It was actually pretty painless.

Now if you start getting into stuff like the parking brake, you're probably looking at a bit more time investment.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Rob, what kind of equipment are you installing?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
C-ya said:
Rob, what kind of equipment are you installing?
Rotors and pads are all,,,,, easy enough. Then I went on a series of road trips, followed by more traveling, then T-storms and extreme heat.

Straight forward stuff! A little sweat and not too much time involved. Had a shop do the bleeding.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
So the brakes are good now?

I was talking about your MX trip. I'm guessing that is Mehico, correctamundo?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
LOL - I get it now.. I'm a little slow on this busy day.

It is a paint finishing system, si, en Mexico. Our company usually provides everything as a complete turn-key system, but this time we are providing robotics and paint finishing equipment; several others are providing the modules that make up the entire system.

www.ThiEquip.com is our company.

Reactions: C-ya

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online