Defective Battery or did my TB fry it?

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
2008 4.2 Trailblazer, 115k. I believe this was the fourth battery in this vehicle over its life, all replaced for preventative reasons. 1st was original, 2nd and 3rd were Autocraft Gold 800cca.

Five month old battery, in Oct I replaced it with an AdvanceAuto Diehard Gold 800cca (I think Autocraft was rebranded to Diehard). I last ran the vehicle two days ago, today vehicle was dead dead. Wouldn't take a jump and wouldnt charge. Autel Battery Tester wouldn't it test because of no battery power and multimeter read 10.5 amps. AdvanceAuto swapped it out after they tested it.

I didn't have anything plugged in overnight, didn't leave my lights on, vehicle had been starting fine.

Do you think this was a defective battery? Could my alternator or a parasitic draw have killed the battery?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very rare for a battery to go completely dead unless lights are left on like the old days. I would definitely check for a heavy parasitic draw. Unless the alternator is shorted internally, it shouldn't draw any power while not running. A parasitic draw test would pinpoint where the draw is.

To quickly remove the rear fuse box as the source, during the test, remove the maxi fuse which will disconnect everything from the rear panel. Then you can go from there with the front or rear panel.

Reactions: mrrsm

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
I always appreciate your input and comments.

I used my mutlimeter to see if there was a parasitic load. What started with a 1.6amp draw quickly drew back to 0.02 but I'll check that again if I have problems with this new battery. My scan tool shows the alternator charging at 14.9 so I think my alternator is good. I'm not showing any codes either. I'm hoping this was just a crap battery.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's quite possible. I've had bad batteries in the past, even in my new truck within months.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Some added things to check:

(1) Alternator via Autozone checking for Voltage Output or failure of the Rectifier Circuit.
(2) The LENGTH of the Serpentine Belt (Check Part Number DAYCO vs GM ACDelco OEM P/N)
(3) The condition of the Belt Tensioner.
(4) Perform a LOAD-STRESS Test of the New Battery with a TRUE Load Tester.
(5) Battery Harnesses (BOTH the Positive and Negative Heavy Cables) for Corrosion.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online