Debating Purchase of 2009 Tahoe Hybrid with 90k Miles

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
I'm test-driving a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid tomorrow and have been doing as much research as I possibly can on them. I currently have a 2007 GMC Envoy Denali with 124,500 miles and nothing wrong with it. I just want something bigger and a couple years newer. The 2009 HyHoe has 90k miles and the dealership is asking $24k. They just got it so I know I can get more knocked off the price. This thing is in absolute PRISTINE condition. The previous owner babied this thing, it looks brand new. Clean carfax. Had friend who is GM technician run the VIN and no major work has been done, he said it's clean.

So here's my internal debate in a nutshell:

PROS
- Larger vehicle
- 2 years newer
- Better MPG
- 35k miles less
- Always wanted a Tahoe/Yukon

CONS
- Nothing wrong with Envoy (current vehicle)
- TONS of issues/bugs with 2008 Hybrid Tahoe, same with 2009?
- Gamble taking on new issues (as with any used car purchase)
- EXPENSIVE to fix problems on Hybrid Motors? Try to do as much work as I can myself
- All but 1 warranty expired (battery warranty up in 10k miles)

Any thoughts, advice, opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FYI - I also posted this on www.greenhybrid.com. They have a good amount of traffic on their for the GM full-size hybrids.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I can't speak to the reliability of the Hybrid Tahoe. I can say that when I bought my Tahoe I looked at the Hybrid. The gas mileage difference at the time was so small that the increased initial purchase price made it pointless. I also wasn't happy with the little things they had done to it to lessen the weight. Look close, GM pulled a TON of options out of it to make it lighter. As I recall, the towing was also slightly reduced.

On the upside, the Hybrid uses a 6.0 V8 as opposed the normal 5.3. Thats probably why the actual gas mileage isn't really very different.

joepro17

Jun 3, 2013
I dont have a personal experience owning a hybrid but my mom does. She wont get another. Her battery went on her accord, 2005 model (luckily still kind of uder warranty). She had to put up a fight to get it covered. They wanted to charge her $4500 for a new battery. Hybrids are nice and all but you are likely increasing you potential repair expenses. I suspect she wont be so lucky next time.

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
denaliguy said:

So here's my internal debate in a nutshell:

PROS
- Larger vehicle
- 2 years newer
Why do these two pros matter to you? Why are they pros? Towing? 24K is a lot of money to buy a bit more brawniness and two years less seniority.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
TimRXUV777 said:
Why do these two pros matter to you? Why are they pros? Towing? 24K is a lot of money to buy a bit more brawniness and two years less seniority.
I seriously doubt the tow rating on the Hybrid Tahoe is any higher than the GMT 360, so hopefully that isn't the reason.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
TimRXUV777 said:
We bought the Avalanche for similar reasons. Towing is substantially more (Hybrid is less), much more interior space, mileage was less than half of what the TB has, and a huge upgrade in options and luxuries. While it did cost $25k (before all the extra additions), it will end up being about $8k cheaper than what I paid for the TB. Did I need it? No. I have always wanted one, and even looked at trading in the TB a few years back, just never took the jump. I tell my friends that i needed to haul some stuff, so instead of buying a trailer I bought a $30k truck.

Ghoster said:
I seriously doubt the tow rating on the Hybrid Tahoe is any higher than the GMT 360, so hopefully that isn't the reason.
6k lbs for the Hybrid.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
The hybrid Tahoe 2wd is 6200, and 4wd is 6000 in the trailer life towing guides. That said, I would be weary of the hybrid because if the cost of battery replacement. The price actually sounds right, and I'm sure you could try to get some off but if it's as nice as you say it is, you might not have much luck.

As for towing, I would bet in tow mode it disables the hybrid function and just runs off the engine.

Also if it has autoride (air ride) shocks and they haven't been replaced, take a close look at them. If they look worn, they probably are. I just replaced mine today to the tune of $400 (after core returns, so $450 but you get $50 back for the cores) for reman replacements. If you don't want the stock auto damping feature you can get bilstein replacements for $460 (no core return).

I bought the truck used and have had it 2 weeks. I expected the shocks wouldn't hold out but they looked ok. They replaced the compressor right before I got it and it had no lights or dtc set, so u thought I was ok. I replaced them ASAP because I wanted to save the compressor from going bad again. When I jacked up the truck to take the shocks off...both sides were completely blown out. The reason I didn't see it was because it was compressed. And because there was no significant loading, the compresser didn't run much.

Sweet truck though, so I don't blame you.

joepro17

Jun 3, 2013
The_Roadie said:
9 years? What was her warranty or expectation?
Im not sure of the details. I just know thats what they tried to charge her first. Then she complained, then they changed their mind.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
{tpc} said:
Also if it has autoride (air ride) shocks and they haven't been replaced, take a close look at them. If they look worn, they probably are. I just replaced mine today to the tune of $400 (after core returns, so $450 but you get $50 back for the cores) for reman replacements. If you don't want the stock auto damping feature you can get bilstein replacements for $460 (no core return).

I am pretty sure that the Auto Ride suspension was one of the options not put on the Hybrid to save weight.

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Appreciate the feedback, good discussion.

Test drove the Hybrid yesterday. Great condition and a smooth ride. It's obvious GM took a lot out of it to lighten it up (no spare tire, different liftgate, etc.). The way the hybrid system works is pretty interesting. It's a pretty smooth transition from full battery to full gas engine. But when looking at everything closely it's all too foreign to me. Buying a vehicle with 90k miles there will be problems later. I want to be able to work on as many as I can myself. No way I am going to touch a 300v battery should it need work. The warranty on the hybrid battery is 8 years/100k miles. Not enough left for me to purchase the vehicle. I also read there are specific parts only on the hybrid that can cost double to replace than on a standard Tahoe. Battery replacement is somewhere in the $2000-$2500 range from what I read.

As far as towing my Envoy (6500lbs) can tow more than the Tahoe Hybrid (6000lbs). I found a 2010 Tahoe Z71 for sale and they are rated at 8200lbs towing. I'm no longer interested in the Hybrid. The few mpg's you gain are not worth the loss in other areas, in my opinion.

Ultimately I want a Tahoe because I really like the 3rd generation design and it can do more for me than my Envoy. I'm 6'4" 225lbs and could definitely notice a difference in size between the Tahoe and my Envoy. A couple more inches in every direction makes a big difference for me.

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
denaliguy said:
Appreciate the feedback, good discussion.

As far as towing my Envoy (6500lbs) can tow more than the Tahoe Hybrid (6000lbs). I found a 2010 Tahoe Z71 for sale and they are rated at 8200lbs towing. I'm no longer interested in the Hybrid. The few mpg's you gain are not worth the loss in other areas, in my opinion.

Ultimately I want a Tahoe because I really like the 3rd generation design and it can do more for me than my Envoy. I'm 6'4" 225lbs and could definitely notice a difference in size between the Tahoe and my Envoy. A couple more inches in every direction makes a big difference for me.
I think you made a wise decision. I agree, in my opinion, the few mpg's anyone gains with a hybrid or ev are not worth the loss of other things, including initial cost outlay Except for the government's generosity with our money with its subsidy for a new one, I have never understood why anyone would want one. Especially when you consider that most electricity is not generated in a much cleaner fashion than the amount of carbons each combustion engine contributes. I also am similar in size to you, 6'3" and 189 lbs and have never felt cramped in my Envoy, in fact just the opposite, I have driven full size for work and other reasons and have never felt envious of any of their supposedly additional space. Great headroom in my GMT370, I could be wearing a fedora and still have space above my head.

denaliguy

Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
TimRXUV777 said:
I think you made a wise decision. I agree, in my opinion, the few mpg's anyone gains with a hybrid or ev are not worth the loss of other things, including initial cost outlay Except for the government's generosity with our money with its subsidy for a new one, I have never understood why anyone would want one. Especially when you consider that most electricity is not generated in a much cleaner fashion than the amount of carbons each combustion engine contributes. I also am similar in size to you, 6'3" and 189 lbs and have never felt cramped in my Envoy, in fact just the opposite, I have driven full size for work and other reasons and have never felt envious of any of their supposedly additional space. Great headroom in my GMT370, I could be wearing a fedora and still have space above my head.
Not sure about yours, but I have a moon roof in mine so it takes away some of that additional headroom. I've hit my head a couple times on the roof when it rocks or jumps enough. The Tahoe with a moon roof had more headroom, plus I could lower the seat more in it than the Envoy. Don't get me wrong though, the Envoy is still comfortable to me. It's that I wouldn't mind a little more room. I drove a Grand Cherokee prior to the Envoy and that had a smaller interior.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.