Dead 4.2 swap to 6.0

Discussion in 'LS2 6.0L V8' started by Decembersend, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Blackwater

Blackwater Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me.

2. Jared

Jared New Member

I was just curious what ended up happening with this project, what did you end up using for a transmission cross member? Did you keep the one from the I6 or did you have to get an aftermarket one?

3. Decembersend

Decembersend Well-Known Member

Sorry for the hiatus, I was playing catch up from the holidays. The project is still on but we bought a new toy in December so it slowed down a little bit.
    IMG_6928.JPG

I recently purchased some Prothane bushings and Moog Ball joints and over the weekend I ripped apart the entire front end and began sanding and painting everything with rustoleum black hammered.

IMG_7224.1.jpg
    IMG_7225.1.jpg
    IMG_7226.1.jpg

MRRSM, Mooseman, dmanns67 and 3 others like this.
  4. Decembersend

Got the ball joints in. However I'm having a hard time pressing the old bushings out due to rust. Anyone have any suggests on that? Right now they're soaking in vinegar to break the rust free.

Pictures of the ball joints

IMG_7245 (1).JPG IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG

MRRSM, Mooseman and dmanns67 like this.
  5. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Had the same problem. I had to burn them out with a torch and then use an air hammer to get the shells out.

xavierny25 and kickass audio like this.
  6. northcreek

northcreek Well-Known Member

Any shop with a hefty hydraulic press should be able to pop those babies out no problem,supporting them properly during the pressing is most important, otherwise like Mooseman says, they will have to come out in pieces...Mike.

7. MRRSM

MRRSM Gold Supporter

@Decembersend ...Dude... Those images you took of ALL the major front end suspension parts are PRICELESS! At least I now have an good idea of what all the Heavy Hardware looks like under the front end of the TB and a fair idea of how much work would be involved for disassembly. Thanks for posting the photos!

EDIT:

No wonder your having trouble getting these out... They're built like the German Pillboxes along Normandy Beach on June 6th, 1944...!...and Dug in like an Alabama Tick!

[​IMG]

But its either that... or wind up having to pay $300 per side on eBay for something like this...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. Decembersend

I'm going to leave them soaking over the weekend to see if the vinegar actually works or not. The color of the vinegar as changed to a brownish color so far so we'll see.

If not I do have torches. I forgot to add in my earlier post that me and my buddy were using is 20T press with ball joint cups and they barley moved.

The sad thing is my buddy and I were using his 20T press and it barely moved. I'm going to leave them soaking for the weekend and see what happens. If nothing I will use torches.

Not a problem at all.

If anyone has to remove the LCA that's been rusting for years and plans to get alignment afterwards I suggest removing the lower bracket to remove help remove the LCA.

The problem that I experienced was the bolts that hold the LCA to the bracket were rusted in there and it was such a pain to remove while it was on the vehicle. That's how I did the Passenger side on the Drivers side I took everything off as one piece except for the UCA.

9. Bill Reid

Bill Reid Well-Known Member

Wow! Great thread. Note to self. If attempting 4.2 to 5.3/6.0 swap first obtain a V8 roll over or totaled from the back :biggrin: I had no idea of the different location of the EBCM making the brake lines different.

I read through the thread but haven't seen too much chatter about wiring harnesses. Aren't the PCM connectors different between the older 4.2 TB's and the newer V8's? Are you going to cut/splice your original harnesses or obtain correct one's (interior/chassis) from junk yard?

10. Decembersend

That's next on the list of things to do. What I think I'm going to do is remove every pin from the new engine harness and put it into my old engine harness. This way there is no splicing and it'll be plug and play.

11. Bill Reid

Bill Reid Well-Known Member

Hmm, I didn't think you needed to mess with the engine harness/connector(s) since it came with the engine and ECM. Is it complete and undamaged? I don't have everything in front of me like you do so I wouldn't know for sure. I was thinking more along the lines of the interior harness. As an example... below is pics of a mostly complete interior harness out of a 4.2 TB 4X2. The 4X4 version of this harness has the transfer case controller connectors. The interior harness is the "umbilical" from the PCM(ECM) to the BCM (and rear fuse box) including supporting wiring for all the dash components. If the PCM/ECM connector pins are the same then I would think all you need is schematics for your year TB and the year of the donor drivetrain. A problem you might run into with the 4.2 TB interior harness is its built to length and only has enough length to accommodate the factory location of the 4.2 PCM. I have never personally looked in the engine bay of a V8 TB... so I'm not too sure about harness routing. Is the ECM located further forward and close to the frame? I guess what I'm getting at is if you plan to keep your original interior harness (assuming PCM/ECM connector pins are the same) then you might need to find a way to mount your ECM near the engine bay fuse box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jared

Jared New Member

What did you use for a transmission cross member?

13. CoreyH

CoreyH Member

Subscribed
    Any updates on this swap?

14. Decembersend

The project hasn't been abandon just to let everyone know. I've been busy with house things recently.

I will be picking it up soon.

Capote likes this.
  15. CoreyH

CoreyH Member

Good.
    I am in the middle of my swap as well. Currently getting a Matte Black paint job, and as soon as that is done I will be finishing the motor. Mine is an 04 LS I6 and I've built a 5.3, ported and polished 243 heads, LS9 cam, 102mm LS1 intake manifold, SS oil pan, SS throttlebody, and LS1 water pump. Still have a little work to do to the motor but I am ready to go ahead and drop it in, get the new mounts installed and then finish the rest of the motor while its in. Already have the 04 EXT 5.3 PCM, found out only a few sensors are different on a 2001 1500 truck harness versus the 04 TB EXT 5.3 harness, so just going to do some connector swapping. Should be a fun project!

16. Decembersend

Good luck with your swap. :2thumbsup:

I'm currently on the wiring stage and to be honest I've taken a bit of a break. Not really in a rush with it as I once was now that I have a reliable DD.

17. paul2005tb

paul2005tb Well-Known Member

Many thanks for starting this thread, I will follow with great interest.

One question, why not install the 5.3L engine ?

18. Sparky

Sparky Moderator

Bigger is better!

19. Decembersend

Thanks for following.

Because the 6.0 has more power right off the bat, more mods for more added power. Plus installing a 6.0 is the same amount of work as a 5.3

CoreyH, Tiggerr, Mooseman and 2 others like this.
  20. CoreyH

CoreyH Member

Same here. I've slowed down a bit. Weather is finally cooperating so I got 3 coats of paint on the body today. Hopefully have the bumpers done this weekend so I can put the body back together and get the interior redone

21. Decembersend

Just letting everyone know. I will be starting this project back up very soon. Prob this weekend. Last weekend I replaced all the bushings with polyurethane and replaced the upper and lower ball joints with moogs.

Capote, Mooseman, Mounce and 4 others like this.
  22. Decembersend

Bringing up an tread most probably thought was dead. I will be starting the project back this weekend. The plan this weekend is to work on converting the wire harness.

I just bought these to make life easier.
    Lisle 57750 Wire Terminal Tool Kit
    [​IMG]

northcreek and xavierny25 like this.
  23. northcreek

northcreek Well-Known Member

Just bought one too, could have used this so many times instead of improvising :thumbsup: Mike.

Decembersend likes this.