Dead 4.2 swap to 6.0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My next TB will get efans, I already have a set of fans I'm going to use. Never bothered on my 02 for a few reasons but the next will get all the stuff that I never got to or didn't want to mess with previously. Should be good.

What fans are you thinking of using? I got Venture fans like Mooseman did for his. It'll take some fabbing to make the shroud work properly but that shouldn't be a problem. I think dual fans will work better than a single E fan since more area of the radiator will be covered, and should be quieter for the same airflow.

Reactions: Decembersend

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Somebody had found an aluminum radiator from a Dodge something on eBay that had the same dimensions and water outlets but for the I6.

I picked up a set of late model Uplander/ Montana SV6 fans. They would have less modding to do and seem to pull even more air. I never got a chance to install them since i reverted my old TB back to stock with an '08 clutch. I might do the Saab but don't know it it's worth the hassle. The efan koolaid has lost its punch.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Glad to hear you found another engine brother [emoji41]

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Sparky said:
My next TB will get efans, I already have a set of fans I'm going to use. Never bothered on my 02 for a few reasons but the next will get all the stuff that I never got to or didn't want to mess with previously. Should be good.

What fans are you thinking of using? I got Venture fans like Mooseman did for his. It'll take some fabbing to make the shroud work properly but that shouldn't be a problem. I think dual fans will work better than a single E fan since more area of the radiator will be covered, and should be quieter for the same airflow.
Mooseman said:
Somebody had found an aluminum radiator from a Dodge something on eBay that had the same dimensions and water outlets but for the I6.

I picked up a set of late model Uplander/ Montana SV6 fans. They would have less modding to do and seem to pull even more air. I never got a chance to install them since i reverted my old TB back to stock with an '08 clutch. I might do the Saab but don't know it it's worth the hassle. The efan koolaid has lost its punch.
I'm researching now on what fans to get, so I'm not sure yet but I will let everyone know what I decide.

Capote said:
Glad to hear you found another engine brother [emoji41]
Thanks

Reactions: Capote

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
kjkim93 said:
Before you put the ls2 in don't forget to do the oil pick up tube! Might as well! Looking forward to this swap.
Yep :yes: that's definitely on my to do list.

I also found a sweet radiator and SPL fan setup. FSR radiator I found on TBSS, plus I can get a built in Transcooler :cool: .

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Did a little bit of work today, Removed both CV axles. I just want to make sure the info I found is correct the SS and standard TB use the same front CV axles?

Upon removal I checked my upper ball joints which I already knew were bad and as you can see they are.
IMG_5694.2.jpg
Driver side axle removed (I didn't take pictures of the passengers side but they look the same)
IMG_5697.2.jpg
Borrowed the idea from Roadie to cover the holes on the disconnect
IMG_5698.2.jpg
Used tape as a precaution
IMG_5699.2.jpg

P.S. I know, I know the rust is bad, I'm going to have to sand it down and hit it with rustoleum.

Reactions: Mounce

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I'm surprised to see actual rust in a Florida vehicle. Here we would call that "factory fresh" :smile: Mike.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
northcreek said:
I'm surprised to see actual rust in a Florida vehicle. Here we would call that "factory fresh" [emoji2] Mike.
I thought the same thing but then you gotta think about the sea breeze. I've heard something about cars rusting if you live next to the ocean.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
She's far from a Florida Vechicle, she spent 7years in Snowy Ohio and 6 of those were without me. She would be a lot cleaner if I had her from the get go. I took it to the car wash (heated water) during the winter to have the underbody cleaned often but the damage was done.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
A little bit more work done today. Removed Alternator, PCM, Throttle body and disconnected the left side wire harness.

IMG_5701.2.jpg

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Decembersend said:
A little bit more work done today. Removed Alternator, PCM, Throttle body and disconnected the left side wire harness.
When is the "boat anchor" comming out? :biggrin:

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Soon I'm taken time every night to get it ready. I'm still waiting for a tracking number for my new engine. Maybe this weekend I'll have it out only time will tell

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Good news my engine will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately it won't be ready to install quite yet but at least I'll have it in my possession.

Oh and some other good news is my Hood will be here tomorrow too.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Decembersend said:
Good news my engine will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately it won't be ready to install quite yet but at least I'll have it in my possession.

Oh and some other good news is my Hood will be here tomorrow too.
What kinda hood did you get man?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh I've seen that before. So you gonna have to cut put those opening yourself huh?

Reactions: TollKeeper

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Capote said:
Oh I've seen that before. So you gonna have to cut put those opening yourself huh?
That's what I was worried about to, but when I called they told me they come precut with grills, so I will find out tomorrow for sure.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Ohh okay, well hopefully that really is the case

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The other 2 members in this area who got that hood said all they had to do when they got it, was get it painted and mounted. So I'd be surprised if his hood showed up incomplete.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I forgot to post this on Saturday.

I took my old rear diff off and sold it to Triz. and she now sits on four 4T jackstands. My new one came yesterday so I'm prob. going to install it tonight.

IMG_5713.2.jpg

Reactions: triz and Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like that hood!

Reactions: Capote

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I just took my diff off tonight. It's sitting on the lift till the am. Thanks a lot by the way.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Here's what I did today.

I wanted to sand down and paint the rear differential before I put it on the truck. I initially bought some wire brushes for my drill and I wasn't getting the results I wanted. So I did some research on sand blasting and found that HF carries a responsibly priced sand blasting kit. I'm quite surprised on the result it's defiantly not finished, my air compressor can't keep up with it and it's a little disappointing but it is what it is.

Here's the pics.

IMG_5742.2.jpg
IMG_5749.2.jpg
IMG_5747.2.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Decembersend said:
Here's what I did today.

I wanted to sand down and paint the rear differential before I put it on the truck. I initially bought some wire brushes for my drill and I wasn't getting the results I wanted. So I did some research on sand blasting and found that HF carries a responsibly priced sand blasting kit. I'm quite surprised on the result it's defiantly not finished, my air compressor can't keep up with it and it's a little disappointing but it is what it is.

Here's the pics.

attachicon.gif
IMG_5742.2.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_5749.2.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_5747.2.jpg
I was looking at one of those sand blasting kits the other day, I think harbor freight has one for about $150. are you disappointed in the kit or the compressor? I am wanting to get one also

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
I was looking at one of those sand blasting kits the other day, I think harbor freight has one for about $150. are you disappointed in the kit or the compressor? I am wanting to get one also
The Kit I bought from HF was $39. I paired it with my craftman compressor. It's a 12 Gallon 1HP compressor and sand blasting takes a lot of air and my compressor can't keep up.

So to answer your question it my compressor I disappointed in the sandblasting kit is great

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Well I tried to put the rear differential on yesterday but my Brother and I couldn't move it lol. The old differential was heavy but man this new one is crazy heavy. I'm bringing home one of our high lift jacks we use for ACs so I can pull it to the TB. :biggrin:

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Here is Saturdays activity.

This is the High Lift I used to move the differential off the trailer to the TB, it made it easier that for sure. Only problem I had was the 100lbs of sand laying on the ground that I used to sand blast.
IMG_5795.2.jpg

I went and picked up these hand truck from HF and they made it extremely easy to get the differential in the correct place.
IMG_5797.2.jpg

Before I put on the Wheels I decided to repaint my calipers from red to silver to match my Fox 2.0 Shocks. The caliper were left hanging my coat hangers after I was done painting them.
IMG_5798.2.jpg

Heres a night shot of the new differential
IMG_5799.2.jpg

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Not much on Sunday except for putting a second coat of paint on.

Caliper all painted and bolted on
IMG_5800.2.jpg

A look of the caliper though the wheel. The wheels were sitting in the dirt in the backyard that's why they're so filthy.
IMG_5801.2.jpg

Reactions: dmanns67

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
Nice work, what did you use to paint the caliper's? Also when you remove the engine please take some pics a engine removal article is much needed.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
This weekend I'm going to attempt to remove the engine. I bought a 2T engine hoist from HF last week, I still haven't put it together yet.

I'm going to have my a few people helping me out remove it. If anyone wants to have a mini meet your more then welcome to come over. Carlton, Jimmy?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What time are you starting? I've got evening plans, and some tentative day plans, but if things fall through, I might try and swing down. Jimmy has been spending all his free time working on the new house, so everything will be ready before the baby arrives.

Edit: I can probably drag Carlos down with me, and maybe get Angel if he isn't tied up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online