Damaged resonator in rear end accident.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Got hit at a stop light today. Damaged resonator and tail pipe. Any suggestions for replacing resonator? I'm fine with the factory version, quiet and plenty of power for me. Just curious if anyone had any other options. Thanks for any input. c good

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just chop it off, IMO. It doesn't sound that much different without it - particularly if it is original as the guts have likely long fallen apart inside - and it looks better without the can anyway.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: I had mine cut of at the hanger just in front of the resonator, and left the exhaust dumping right there for the last few years. No issues, or exhaust smell inside the cabin.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Pipe appears to be one piece from the muffler back. Diagrams show it a two piece system with the resonator/tailpipe available separately. Does anyone know if this is truly a two piece system or can I order a complete with muffler to resonator/tailpipe system?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The muffler comes as a separate piece from the tail pipe and resonator, I bought a new OEM muffler for my old 02 a few years ago and it was just the muffler by itself.

If it was all one large hunk it would be a huge paint to install, partly because of its size but also because you'd have to remove the rear axle to get it up there.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Mystery solved. I spoke with my friend that I bought the Envoy from. He was original owner and had a new muffler installed in it 6 months before I bought it from him. The shop welded the new muffler in so I have a one piece system starting from behind the catalytic converter. The new muffler is welded to the resonator and tail pipe assembly. Thanks for all the input. Mystery solved....c good

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, The resonator is like a straight thru glass pack muffler.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine was full of rusty powder bits.

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Just chop the resonator off. Not even worth it's weight in scrap. Difference in sound is minimal and absolutely no performance difference. The TB does look 3.5 times better without that thing sitting there.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online