Creaking noise in LF suspension

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
This is driving me nuts. This was noticeable before I changed anything and is still there, both lower ball joints, LH upper ball joint, LH tie rod end, front Bilstein HD struts with new pads have been changed...sway links are old but I can't rattle them by hand.

I feel it in the steering wheel and can hear it as well, when I let off the brake and give it some gas to just barely extend the front suspension...there is a creaking noise that is proportional to the rise in the suspension. When I tap the brakes I can feel it again but only over a short amount of suspension travel. Most noticeable when stopped and just starting off.

I have sprayed anything that has movement in the front end, no avail. My worries are the lower control arm bushings so what do they sound like when worn?

If I hit the brakes kinda hard, I get a more prounounced creak that is much higher in intensity, but only in a few spots of the suspension movement....not a lengthy creak if that makes sense.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Assuming you sprayed some lube on the anti-sway bar mounting bushings (some folks forget those), you might try lubing or changing the height of the threaded hood stops. Some very, very subtle creaks have ended up being those hood stops.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I will address the stops just to be sure, thanks. Yeah I did spray all around both bushings and what puzzles me is the distinct tap from the creak in the steering wheel. When I venture out I will try to get a video, with my fan quiet now the mic just may pick it up.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i don't think spraying the bushings will do much, take the sway bar bushings out, clean the bar and the bushings and lube liberally

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Well, the bushings are original and the links have been on there since gas was $1.50 gal. Today I changed out the bushings and the links and while the tapping has gone away, I still have a slight, bump, bump, bump noise when the suspension raises slightly on accel from a stop, felt in the steering wheel. When I hit the brakes the deeper creak/crack is still there.

Sure is quieter though over rough pavement. :smile:

shaun4282

Jul 5, 2012
Saw that it has been a while since any response, were you able to find out if it was the upper strut mount? I have the exact same problem that I thought installing smaxx links would solve but still have a creaking sound. The bushings are most likely original so I'm thinking that is the issue. Replaced upper and lower control arms, upper and lower BJ, inner and outer tie rods, hubs and new shocks/struts so it has to be a that I'm assuming.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online