NEED HELP Coolant Drip/Leak Driver's side

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I've had the same issue for years now.. I've gone through 3 water pumps and 3 fan clutches. The last water pump and fan clutch I put a month ago and I decided to go oem and got AcDelco. My mechanic said it was again. But I knew it was not.. I believe that it's the timing chain cover that has a tiny little crack by the water pump. (AGAIN I THINK) So I'll be sending to mechanic to look at again.. we'll see.. I'll say this the AcDelco fan clutch is way better that Dorman brand I've gotten the past 2 times. What can it be? Can it be the Timing chain cover that might have a small crack where the water pump is, when it was removed and replaced years ago maybe the first one i did? Should I get a digital inspection camera? This coolant leak is pissing me off..:Banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
Hey not trying to be dumb just my honest thought but you say it's on drivers side... the thermostat is located on drivers side like behind and under the alternator. It's a bitch to get the gasket to stay on and what not so that could be cause of your leak if it was improperly installed. Just my 2 cents good luck

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ill check but i don't think it is, as i changed that also like 4 months ago with AC Delco. The drip is on the front of engine drivers side. It lands on swaybar then drips to plastic cover under engine.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe pick up a pressure tester and pressurize the system cold? Then just use a mirror to find where it's bleeding from? I don't know what else else it could be but the fan does make a mess under there.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
+1 for the pressure test.

My friend's '99 S10 had a similar issue with slowly leaking coolant (and coolant smell from the engine bay just days after replacing the intake manifold gaskets).
We popped the hood to investigate the leak, cranked it, and I got sprayed in the face with coolant. Apparently he must have pricked a hose with a pick/razor blade when replacing the gaskets, because coolant was spraying out of a pin-hole in the upper radiator hose.
A new hose solved the problem.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are also UV dye kits available for coolant. Should help pinpoint the leak.

Another possible leak point is the temp sensor. I had that leak after changing it and the t-stat. I didn't tighten it enough the first time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online