SOLVED: Cold air when turning right............

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Ok guys and girls, I been scratching my head for a while now and can't figure it out.

My 2002 TB LTZ with ECC (ACC) got no heat blowing from vents when turning right at normal speed. Going straight or turning left no problem. Engine temp is normal, checked with my Tech 2.

In summer time the AC dosen't cool as it used to as well, and I checked it full of freon and working as it should. Clutch fan is also working as normal. I think it's related to my no heat problem.

Best way to describe it is like the blend door swing fully open to fresh outside air when you turn right and then when you straighten up or turn left the blend door swings back to closed position.

But after looking in parts catalog on how the doors are mounted, all of them are mounted longitude and none is mounted latitude. Correct me if i'm wrong?

Anybody heard of this before??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like maybe a bad actuator or a broken door shaft. Kind of strange that turning affects it as the blend doors go up and down. Have you tried testing the blend doors with the Tech 2?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Do you have HVAC controls on the steering wheel? Maybe it is something with the clock spring momentarily freaking out if so... anything can happen.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I've noticed this too and there's nothing wrong, it's just physics: as you corner to the right centrifugal force is moving the colder (denser) air that was at your feet to the driver's side and up towards your hands and face. I know this sounds crazy but the human body is very perceptive to temperature changes so when the hot air from the vents is suddenly displaced by the colder air from the lower cabin it feels like the heat shut off. This will be especially noticeable when the engine has just warmed up but the interior of the truck itself is still pretty cold--there's a huge temperature difference between what's coming out of the vents and the rest of the air in the truck.

I guarantee if you rode shotgun you would experience the same thing turning left (or a passenger would). And once you notice it, you can't un-notice it so it seems like a persistent problem.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I do appriciate your help.

Sounds like maybe a bad actuator or a broken door shaft. Kind of strange that turning affects it as the blend doors go up and down. Have you tried testing the blend doors with the Tech 2?

Yeah I thought about a broken door shaft, will check with Tech2 when it gets warmer outside.

Do you have HVAC controls on the steering wheel? Maybe it is something with the clock spring momentarily freaking out if so... anything can happen.

I have a hard time relate to a bad clockspring, the cold air is coming right away. A bad clockspring would probably do in a slower pace.

I've noticed this too and there's nothing wrong, it's just physics: as you corner to the right centrifugal force is moving the colder (denser) ..............

I see what you meen, but when it happens i'm in full defroster mode with fan on medium high speed. And it happens even when you do a 90 degree turn in a parking lot (low speed), you know a 90 turn and then reverse in a p-spot.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Easy way to test this - put your hand over the vent where you feel the warm air coming out, then crank the wheel and see what happens. If the air temperature changes, you've got something to track down in the HVAC. If it doesn't, then it is just air movement in the cabin like AtlWrk said.

I've noticed this phenomenon in my TB previously, also noticed similar (though no the same extent) in the Silverado also.

Reactions: kickass audio

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Easy way to test this - put your hand over the vent where you feel the warm air coming out, then crank the wheel and see what happens. If the air temperature changes, you've got something to track down in the HVAC. If it doesn't, then it is just air movement in the cabin like AtlWrk said.

I've noticed this phenomenon in my TB previously, also noticed similar (though no the same extent) in the Silverado also.

I'll try that, thanks.

swede

Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I've noticed this too and there's nothing wrong, it's just physics................

Easy way to test this - put your hand.............

You guys were right, damn!!! I would not belive it unless I had tried your suggestions. Thanks a million.

Reactions: AtlWrk and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online