Coil spring out of place?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok so 2007 Tahoe, passenger side coil spring appears to not be aligned with the spacer or whatever it is called on the bottom of the spring. It's like it is shifted over a bit.

This may have happened when I replaced the rear shocks just recently, but since it's hidden behind the exhaust it doesn't jump out at you.

The question is, how do I move it back in place?

I was thinking I could lift the frame on that side in front if the wheel with my jack until that wheel is off the ground and then maybe it would take enough pressure off it to slide it over?

Or would it be acceptable to jack both sides up at the same time until both wheels are off the ground by placing the jack under the rear diff, and then put jack stands on each side of the frame to support the truck and then lower down the diff until full droop occurs. Then move the jack over to the drivers side and jack it up some which may give me slightly more relief to slide it over?

Is it safe to jack up the vehicle from the rear diff? I've seen it done on the internet, but it strikes me as a bad idea.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's a fine idea. Can you take a picture? Is the spring already off the domes spring perch? If so, I wouldn't drive it!

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok here are some pics of the side in question. Funny after looking at the pics, maybe it is ok? It is still a bit higher on that side, I am unsure why, or how to correct it. I was hoping that fixing this problem would cure that problem, but now I don't know if I have a problem at all! :confused:

Photo 1 shows why I thought (or am thinking) it shifted.

Edit: I don't know how it uploaded but for me anyways, photo 1 is the 3rd one down.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 21

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The dome in the center (the spring perch) means it's not going to slide sideways out of position functionally. Centering it on the rubber isolator is only necessary if you have OCD about such things. I generally mock people who have OCD about that sort of stuff. There's dirt behind your tail lights and on top of your gas tank, I usually remind those folks after they claim they did a full detail. :raspberry:

Reactions: Ghoster

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Lol thanks Roadie! So my problem isn't a problem then, correct?

Other than being OCD?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The_Roadie said:
The dome in the center (the spring perch) means it's not going to slide sideways out of position functionally. Centering it on the rubber isolator is only necessary if you have OCD about such things. I generally mock people who have OCD about that sort of stuff. There's dirt behind your tail lights and on top of your gas tank, I usually remind those folks after they claim they did a full detail. :raspberry:
..... Dang it :mad:

No actually I rarely do a "full detail" (I don't have the stuff) but I HAVE pulled my tail lights when washing the car before :raspberry:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The_Roadie said:
There's dirt behind your tail lights and on top of your gas tank, I usually remind those folks after they claim they did a full detail. :raspberry:
If the Tahoe tails are similar to the same way the Avalanche ones are, there should be enough to fill a small sand box behind them.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
The_Roadie said:
There's dirt behind your tail lights and on top of your gas tank, I usually remind those folks after they claim they did a full detail. :raspberry:

NOT ON MY GAS TANK! :rotfl:

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
When you took the picture was the car lifted with a jack? If so, when you let it down, the bottom of the coil spring will sit on the rubber seat just fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.