Code Scanners ?

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Well I finally got a chance and connected two different ones in a 2004 Ford Explorer. Both connected and worked fine. Maybe I will try the one that wehowardjr just linked to.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL

wehowardjr

Nov 12, 2014
Mounce said:
The picture you posted is different than the one in the Ebay listing...which one did you actually get?
The HH OBD Advanced in the picture is the one he used to have pictured that I bought. Weird. I'll message him and ask if they are the same just a different housing. I noticed in the description it says "[SIZE=12pt]Clear color and small form factor of the tool will make it almost un[/SIZE]noticeable[SIZE=12pt] to the naked eyes." I'll post what I find out.[/SIZE]

wehowardjr

Nov 12, 2014
OK, he replied back pretty fast.

From engineeringconvenient:

We will have the one you original purchase in stock again within the next week. This one is actually much better. Its half the size of the HH with the same features and functionality. And since its clear, its harder to see that its there when you plug it in the car.

regards,

nick

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
So I hope this isn't too old to revive ;-)

As noted above, I tried two different ELM327s of the three that I have bought on a 2004 Ford Explorer. They both worked. About 6 weeks ago I tested one on a 2008 or so GM full size pickup (Not sure if GM or Chevy). The units wouldn't connect to that GMT either.

Here are the three that I had purchased. I remember seeing, here or somewhere, that we should be using a version 1.4 (the ones I acquired all say 1.5). The units, when plugged into my Envoy or when tried in the other truck, connected without issue to the Android tablet. They work fine with Torque Pro on the Explorer. They note they are connected to Android but cannot connect to the ECM on the GMTs.

Suggestions or ideas from anyone? The guy who bought the Explorer was going to buy the tablet and the reader but I haven't seen him since the day he wanted to take them to try them out (no, I didn't let him take them).

Appreciate any advice on it.

mcsteven aka camera nut

EDIT:
fuse 13 is fine, and I have power to both of my cig lighter ports.
connect a self powered reader and it works fine.
I checked again and it seems ver 1.4b or 2.1 are the ones to get. I'll wait to order until there's a little feedback to this post. (coolasice mentioned it)

elm327.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've owned the first and third ones myself, both worked flawlessly. First one I gave to my roommate for his XUV, 3rd one is currently in my TB right now. :twocents:

cart7881

May 25, 2014
I have the adapter mentioned in Posts #54 and #58. Works fine on a 2003 Trailblazer, using Bluetooth, Samsung tablet and Torque.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Have you tried hooking up a conventional scanner, Marc? At this point I'd be questioning whether the class 2 data is actually being passed on to the scanner or not. Odd that they wouldn't work on the other GM though...

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I have had a scanner hooked up (an OBD-II scanner, self contained, cable from connector to hand held unit. It was planned, so I drove for a little with the gas cap loose. It activated the CEL and the code came up for evap issue) and it seems to have worked fine. The person who had it was a trained tech and said the scanner was working fine. The car has to be connected to a scanner when they do the bi-annual smog checks and it has no problem there.

What threw me was that it didn't work on another GM product but worked flawlessly on the Ford. That's why I was wondering about the working version (though I thought it would have been more in the monitoring software). I've been looking to find someone with another GMT360 to check it out here. Maybe I'll try to find someone who has a GMT somewhere from about 2002-2009 who uses one of these and see if they can connect it to my car.

• Since the entire system works on the Ford, I know it's not the tablet or wireless connection.
  • Since the scanner works on my Envoy, it doesn't seem it would be the port or the passing of data.
  • Since the ELM327 connects to bluetooth when it's plugged into the Envoy, it doesn't appear that it would be a problem with my plugging it in.
  • So it's seems to be either a compatibility issue between the GMT and the ELM or the settings in Torque.

:helpme: :helpme: :helpme:

I will likely look at one of the ELMs that says ver 2.1.

Other suggestions?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Coolasice - I can understand a bad adapter, but there were 3 of them that don't work on my GMT and 2 of them do work on a Ford Explorer. Is it a software compatibility issue that's bad?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
mcsteven said:
Coolasice - I can understand a bad adapter, but there were 3 of them that don't work on my GMT and 2 of them do work on a Ford Explorer. Is it a software compatibility issue that's bad?
If other scanners work, can there be any other explanation?

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
mcsteven said:
So I hope this isn't too old to revive ;-)

As noted above, I tried two different ELM327s of the three that I have bought on a 2004 Ford Explorer. They both worked. About 6 weeks ago I tested one on a 2008 or so GM full size pickup (Not sure if GM or Chevy). The units wouldn't connect to that GMT either.

Here are the three that I had purchased. I remember seeing, here or somewhere, that we should be using a version 1.4 (the ones I acquired all say 1.5). The units, when plugged into my Envoy or when tried in the other truck, connected without issue to the Android tablet. They work fine with Torque Pro on the Explorer. They note they are connected to Android but cannot connect to the ECM on the GMTs.

Suggestions or ideas from anyone? The guy who bought the Explorer was going to buy the tablet and the reader but I haven't seen him since the day he wanted to take them to try them out (no, I didn't let him take them).

Appreciate any advice on it.

mcsteven aka camera nut

EDIT:
fuse 13 is fine, and I have power to both of my cig lighter ports.
connect a self powered reader and it works fine.
I checked again and it seems ver 1.4b or 2.1 are the ones to get. I'll wait to order until there's a little feedback to this post. (coolasice mentioned it)

elm327.jpg
i Have bought the first one and i had the second one already and both are not working with my car :Banghead: :Banghead: :Banghead: :Banghead: :Banghead: i really need to check what is the problem and i will also check the same new Adapter with other cars just to make sure.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
You have power at the OBDII port? Have you tried the OBDII adapters on a different vehicle?
I have tried the ELM 327 adapters on a different vehicle and they work. I have put an OBD II adapter/reader (self-contained) on the GMT and it worked. They do get power when they connect to my truck because I am able to connect the adapters via Bluetooth.

So, I come down to possibilities:

1.) The software version of the ELM adapter is not compatible with my GMT.

2.) There are settings in torque pro that are not allowing the adapter to connect, correctly, to the ECM.

3.) The adapters are not universal.

I have considered version 2.1 or looking for one with 1.4. Most of what I am seeing out there now is version 1.5 and all three that I purchased were version 1.5.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Should have bought the adapter that I linked. I have used mine on GM, Ford, Honda, and Dodge with no issues.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Here is the ELM327 Wifi one I just ordered. I was thinking of either getting Dash Command or OBD Fusion. Mine should be here next Monday or before so I can let you know how it works.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
SnowBlazer said:
So here's my issue, I have all Apple devices. Is this just an android issue? Looking to buy an Elm and use DashCommand.
For the iCrap devices ( :raspberry: ) you have to get a module that uses Wifi because of the overprotective Bluetooth setup apple uses.

At least that's how I understand it.

-and it's not the Android's issue, the issue is the gazillion adapters that don't actually work.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
mcsteven said:
I have tried the ELM 327 adapters on a different vehicle and they work. I have put an OBD II adapter/reader (self-contained) on the GMT and it worked. They do get power when they connect to my truck because I am able to connect the adapters via Bluetooth.

So, I come down to possibilities:

1.) The software version of the ELM adapter is not compatible with my GMT.

2.) There are settings in torque pro that are not allowing the adapter to connect, correctly, to the ECM.

3.) The adapters are not universal.

I have considered version 2.1 or looking for one with 1.4. Most of what I am seeing out there now is version 1.5 and all three that I purchased were version 1.5.
have you tried other software? there are lots of freeware available to test that out and eliminate one of your "possibilities".

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
budwich said:
have you tried other software? there are lots of freeware available to test that out and eliminate one of your "possibilities".
Last night I downloaded CHECK (ELM 327 OBD II), Sense View, OBDMax, ELM327 OBD Terminal, and Dash Command. All show the same thing. They connect to the device via Bluetooth but showed no connection to the car. I went back into Torque Pro and it shows that the version of the ELM device is 2.1. I don't have the others with me to confirm if they are 1.5 or 2.1.

So, to put everything together, here is what I've done:
1.) Tested three ELM devices on my truck that have been tested and work on other manufacturers vehicles. Two of them did not work on a GM full-size truck (I did not have the third with me to test it).

2.) connected a self-contained, self powered reader to my truck and it works without problems.

3.) tested one reader, that worked on another vehicle, on my truck with multiple pieces of software and it did not connect to the ECU.

4.) confirmed I have power to the OBD port by checking fuse 13, confirming I have power to both my cigarette lighter plugs, and by #2 above. The port is powering the ELM devices as I am able to connect via Bluetooth.

I do not believe that it could be anything with the tablet as it does connect to the ELM devices via Bluetooth. It does read information about the ELM devices. It is an off brand, android tablet using version 4.4.2.

I don't believe that it could be anything with my GMT because it does work with a handheld OBD scanner.

I have tried numerous combinations of settings in torque pro and, of the new software, there was only one program with variable settings, and I tried all combinations in that program.

So, I am assuming that many, most, or even all of these boards are likely produced in one place. They probably put different shells on the outside to make it appear different and not have the markets flooded with a single appearance. That said it comes down to a compatibility issue with the software on the reader or?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
thanks for the extra info.... sorry to see that it didn't resolve things. I have a couple of different obds, two bluetooth and one hardwired to a pc serial port connection... all work towards my 2008. Having said that, one bluetooth did get "stuck" in some form and wouldn't talk to my truck for a period of time. I tried the other unit and it worked fine and then the other worked again thereafter so I am not sure why the "hiccup".

Reactions: mcsteven

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I just tried the same adapter in a 2002 Chevy S 10 pick up. Same issues as mine where it powers the adapter but it does not connect. I was also able to try it in a late-model Lincoln town car (not sure of the year but probably one of the last models made). It worked without a problem.

If I don't sell the ELM327 and tablet in the next couple of days I will probably order another Bluetooth from one of the links you folks have posted recently.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Wait until mine comes in and I see if it works then if it does, order the same one I did. Brandon and one of his friends have one from that link and they work so I figured I'd hop on the wagon lol.

-hopefully I'll have it in a few days.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Just got it today and it refuses to connect to torque and on dash command it took me forever to get it to connect but when it did, at idle in park, it told me that I was going 100 and the rpm's were 58xx something. Already messaged the seller, hopefully they give me a refund.

-played with it for about an hour trying different settings

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Sib said:
Here is the ELM327 Wifi one I just ordered. I was thinking of either getting Dash Command or OBD Fusion. Mine should be here next Monday or before so I can let you know how it works.
So got my wifi ELM327 in today.

For the iPhone homies out there, I bought the OBDFusion app. Works great. Although I'm gonna have to do some research to see what some readings are supposed to be, there is a lot of info and a lot of customization that can be done.

In order to connect I had to go into settings on my phone and go into wifi and click on the OBD network. Then clicked connect on the app and it connected right away.

First thing I confirmed is that my t-stat (and probably ECT sensor) is gonna need replacing soon. Running about 190 at idle and around 180-185 while driving. Not terrible but rather tackle it before it gets terrible.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
In the TB, how intrusive is that mf'er? If it's pretty discrete I might pick one up..

See, I'm really stuck on wanting one of the "mini" ones because of it's tiny, discrete size where that I can leave it plugged in on rides and not hit it with my leg.
They are all discreet. I leave mine plugged in the TB all the time. It does not stick out past the kick panel. No reason to ever hit your leg on it.

The link is the first and only adapter I have bought and has been working great. Even on different vehicles.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Mounce said:
Just got it today and it refuses to connect to torque and on dash command it took me forever to get it to connect but when it did, at idle in park, it told me that I was going 100 and the rpm's were 58xx something. Already messaged the seller, hopefully they give me a refund.
-played with it for about an hour trying different settings

out of curiosity, do you have anything connected to the databus? Bypass module for remotestart/alarm? Radio interface? If so, try with those disconnected.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I've missed on 3 of them and also have no bypasses, factory radio, etc. The only thing I have altered is adding a relay for the DRL killer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.