Code Scanners ?

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
OK - anyone have any ideas? I've just seen a reader on Bestbuy.com that says it's version 2.1. The other 2 showed version 1.5. I found another, while looking, that showed Ver 1.4. Of course the one from Bestbuy is mail order only.

Dang - I bought the tablet specific for Torque and I can't find a reader that works or there is something wrong with the truck. As noted, I plugged in a self powered reader and it worked fine, so I don't think it's anything to do with the truck.

Sorry to whine, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Finally figured out what I was doing wrong with my elmscan USB module and it now works with torque again!
What were you doing wrong?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
mcsteven said:
OK - anyone have any ideas? I've just seen a reader on Bestbuy.com that says it's version 2.1. The other 2 showed version 1.5. I found another, while looking, that showed Ver 1.4. Of course the one from Bestbuy is mail order only.

Dang - I bought the tablet specific for Torque and I can't find a reader that works or there is something wrong with the truck. As noted, I plugged in a self powered reader and it worked fine, so I don't think it's anything to do with the truck.

Sorry to whine, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

What were you doing wrong?
1.4b and 2.1 are true elm versions, anything else (1.5, 2.0, 1.4a) are all clones. If you can, get one of the recommended units on torques website. What kind of tablet are you using? Bluetooth or USB? My problem had to do with permissions of my /dev/bus/USB folder/file. I keep having to change permissions every time I want to use the USB based elmscan. I only use it to scan codes and prefer scanxl on my laptop over torque. With scanxl I can view abs/bcm codes.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
coolasice said:
1.4b and 2.1 are true elm versions, anything else (1.5, 2.0, 1.4a) are all clones. If you can, get one of the recommended units on torques website. What kind of tablet are you using? Bluetooth or USB? My problem had to do with permissions of my /dev/bus/USB folder/file. I keep having to change permissions every time I want to use the USB based elmscan. I only use it to scan codes and prefer scanxl on my laptop over torque. With scanxl I can view abs/bcm codes.
I am using a iView 7" tablet sold by NewEgg. It's running Android 4.4.2. I purchased and downloaded what I assume is the latest version of Torque Pro from the Google Play store. It has connected to both elm327 units via bluetooth without any problems. But when I go into Torque, it states that the units are not connecting to the ECM.

Here is the first unit I tried. It and the 2nd one likely came from China and who know if they just copied the face, etc but it appears to be the same on the torque page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1-5-OBD2-II-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-Tool-/300870978320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d4ecb10

Here is the second one. This one may be defective since it would not connect to a 2nd vehicle:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-5-Mini-Bluetooth-ELM327-OBDII-OBD-II-OBD2-Protocols-Auto-Scanner-Tool-US-/331127547212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d18bd654c

coldman said:
Looks like Torque with it's own display. Another thing to remember to take off my windshield.

BlazingTrails said:
I have an ELM327 and a 7" Bluetooth droid tablet with a windshield Mount. I run full version of dash command with purchased pid's and I love it.
I wish I loved mine.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
95chevyz71 (charles) ordered the same one that I did and His would not work at all. it would connect to the phone but not the truck. He returned it and got another that works fine. some of them are crap if you order online. (the elm327 or equiv)

Reactions: mcsteven

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
BlazingTrails said:
95chevyz71 (charles) ordered the same one that I did and His would not work at all. it would connect to the phone but not the truck. He returned it and got another that works fine. some of them are crap if you order online. (the elm327 or equiv)
The gambles of ordering Chinese, I suppose. Isn't modern manufacturing interesting? There's an apparently-profitable business model where a company would rather build as many units as possible, with a failure/dud rate that's definitely above negligible, and price them lower, and hope that market saturation takes up the cost.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
I guess I got lucky, I only paid $10 for mine and it works in everything I have tried it on.
:iagree: Both of mine were $10 off Ebay, and worked fine on multiple vehicles.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
I guess I got lucky, I only paid $10 for mine and it works in everything I have tried it on.

Blckshdw said:
:iagree: Both of mine were $10 off Ebay, and worked fine on multiple vehicles.
Links if you can, and if possible, confirm that the image of the one for sale is also the ones you guys have.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:

BlazingTrails said:
I pulled this from my purchase history, this is the same listing and seller I bought mine from.

ELM327 V1.5

Thanks Carlton and Brandon. You're good guys no matter what David says!

EDIT: The second one Carlton lists is the same as Brandon's, and the seller is the same as the second one I purchased.

EDIT Part Deux:
ordered.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
mcsteven said:
EDIT: The second one Carlton lists is the same as Brandon's, and the seller is the same as the second one I purchased.
:coffee: Great minds...

Hopefully that is a good sign, and you'll be able to get up and running next week. :yes:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
BlazingTrails said:
I pulled this from my purchase history, this is the same listing and seller I bought mine from.

ELM327 V1.5
I've seen this one from several vendors, some people end up getting the cheap Chinese version that can never link properly. I have wanted this one though.,has anyone ever gotten that one from this vendor or has everyone gotten the right one as far as you know?

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
BlazingTrails said:
It says purchase history bro
Yup. I bought it about 2 mins before posting.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

wehowardjr

Nov 12, 2014
I purchased one of those mini blue dongles and it ended up being a Chinese knockoff. Didn't work on any vehicle I connected it to. Linked to the phone but that was about all it would do. The vendor didn't want any negetive rating so he offered me a full refund.

Reactions: Capote

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
If y'all have noticed, the mini blue colored ones come in two styles. I've read that the style with the clip been a cutout piece don't work but the ones with the clip molded in work and it's been proven in this thread, people reporting they got one that didn't work (with a link to the item) and others post that they do work (with link, molded clip) and it's the ones I'm taking about. If you get on ebay and search for the mini styles and look closely at different ones you should see what I'm talking about with the clip, if you can't find it I'll try to find where I read that.

Reactions: mcsteven and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
wehowardjr said:
I purchased one of those mini blue dongles and it ended up being a Chinese knockoff. Didn't work on any vehicle I connected it to. Linked to the phone but that was about all it would do. The vendor didn't want any negetive rating so he offered me a full refund.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid will end up happening to me too
Mounce said:
If y'all have noticed, the mini blue colored ones come in two styles. I've read that the style with the clip been a cutout piece don't work but the ones with the clip molded in work and it's been proven in this thread, people reporting they got one that didn't work (with a link to the item) and others post that they do work (with link, molded clip) and it's the ones I'm taking about. If you get on ebay and search for the mini styles and look closely at different ones you should see what I'm talking about with the clip, if you can't find it I'll try to find where I read that.
Yeah that's the difference between the two

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
What risk? If it doesn't work? You tell them you tried it on multiple cars and they refund the $$. I've got 2 now because they don't want to pay the return postage. They ask for 5 star ratings, and I put in my review that the device was defective and the company gave me a refund.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Mounce said:
This is definitely something I'm interested in.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
All I can say is that There have been two ordered from the Link that i posted, and both of them have worked. If you are concerned about it then by all means spend $25 on one of the black ones. I can't promise you that the one you order will work, but myself and charles ordered one from the link and they both work great. This is not that big of a deal.....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
All I can say is that There have been two ordered from the Link that i posted, and both of them have worked. If you are concerned about it then by all means spend $25 on one of the black ones. I can't promise you that the one you order will work, but myself and charles ordered one from the link and they both work great. This is not that big of a deal.....
:iagree: I guess we must not be as trust worthy with mods as we think we are. :hopeless:

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Ok. 3rd one arrived. Still no go. It connects to the Bluetooth, and Torque picks it up but shows "Connection to the ECU" "No"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418540773.980441.jpg

Ideas? Suggestions? As noted, I plug in a self powered reader and it works fine. I will check this in another car as soon as I can.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
mcsteven said:
Ok. 3rd one arrived. Still no go. It connects to the Bluetooth, and Torque picks it up but shows "Connection to the ECU" "No"
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418540773.980441.jpg

Ideas? Suggestions? As noted, I plug in a self powered reader and it works fine. I will check this in another car as soon as I can.
Have you tried them on a different tablet/phone/PC? Maybe have a friend try it on theirs?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
How are you trying to get this working? (ie. what sequence of events are you doing?... plug in unit, turn key on, power up tablet, start torque, etc.) Is it possible you might have some sort of "mis-step" in getting it started?

Further what options have you got set for your vehicle in the torque setup?

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
coolasice said:
Have you tried them on a different tablet/phone/PC? Maybe have a friend try it on theirs?
Same thing on 3 devices.

budwich said:
How are you trying to get this working? (ie. what sequence of events are you doing?... plug in unit, turn key on, power up tablet, start torque, etc.) Is it possible you might have some sort of "mis-step" in getting it started?

Further what options have you got set for your vehicle in the torque setup?
Plug in adapter to port. Open Bluetooth on tablet, connect, open Torque, settings, confirm device, restart Torque, open "adapter status." Shows connected BT but not to ECU. START CAR, restart Torque, same issue.

I did notice today that there is a setting for,
"Preferred OBD-II Protocol." What do you show on yours? Actually there are 3 settings there: Use Alternate OBD Header, Preferred, and Config string.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
hmmm... sequences tried sound ok. For sure your car does not have to be started to get comms. Just do a "key on"... it will save your starter if you have to do a bunch of this. I guess the other question is, do any of the elms that you have purchased have any "status lamps" on them.... hopefully they do... if they do, are you able to correlate any of the lights to things happening... ie. when you plug the unit in, when the key is turned on, when the tablet is started (ie. BT comms started), when torque is started. Hope you will see power lights along with data lights. My cheap unit has these status... I have seen them flash in various modes but haven't paid much attention to a "real sequence".

On the protocol setting, on the vehicle profile, my torque only shows a "check" (or not), no other options... but I believe what you expanded on is what the "check" gives you... don't know.... but would try either. Mine sits unchecked but I know I had issues with getting certain pids to provide data. My initial question was possed to get you to look at some of the options and see if they are what they are, and perhaps try alternatives instead of buying more interfaces.

Related to the vehicle option(s), there are obd options also. You might want to play with those maybe. As others have indicated, I have tried a couple of cheap interfaces. They work with my samsung tab2. BUT based on my experience with BT interfaces, it is possible that there are incompatibilities between "endpoints" as with any comms, one maker doesn't necessarily test every device that is out there and further not all device makers design to "full spec compliance" both in terms of features and timeframes (ie. sort of "breadth and width" of design).

Lastly, maybe give another app a try... OBD Car Doctor Free is an example (at random) and see if it works.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
mcsteven said:
Same thing on 3 devices.

Plug in adapter to port. Open Bluetooth on tablet, connect, open Torque, settings, confirm device, restart Torque, open "adapter status." Shows connected BT but not to ECU. START CAR, restart Torque, same issue.

I did notice today that there is a setting for,
"Preferred OBD-II Protocol." What do you show on yours? Actually there are 3 settings there: Use Alternate OBD Header, Preferred, and Config string.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Have you tried it on another vehicle?

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Ok, got a chance and tried it on a Silverado. No go, but the red lite was on, and the green and yellow flashed / went solid / went dark randomly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online