Clunk noise when turning wheel

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I hear this funky clunk noise if I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right and drive forward or backyards...what's going on? Tierod or whatever ?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Have you checked for loose bolts yet? Caliper, upper or lower control arms, tie rod end, ball joints, strut yoke mount. And the bushings involved could have deteriorated. No substitute for getting it on a lift and wiggling everything in sight.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Any wheel bearing noise? I'd think if there was a bearing loosening up or worse, losing rollers, it might do that on sharp turns or when changing directions once the vehicle starts moving.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Any wheel bearing noise? I'd think if there was a bearing loosening up or worse, losing rollers, it might do that on sharp turns or when changing directions once the vehicle starts moving.
nope just when having the wheel turned all the way and going over a bump.. sounds like a broken joint.. so to speak...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sounds like sway bars links

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Sounds like sway bars links
where can I visual inspect the bars?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
They're behind the wheel connected between the sway bar and lower control arm. If their boots are torn, they're bad. With it sitting on the ground, if you can easily wiggle them or they have in-out play in the joints, they're bad.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I also use a long pry bar to pry the stabilizer bar up and down for play in the links and also if the nut has loosened, egging out the one of the holes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.