Clunk in front end

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
I have a clunk in my front end Im wondering if someone could help me diagnos. Its only when i go over larger bumps with some speed. it sounds like kind of like strut mounts. however I've replaced front struts, strut mounts and rear shocks 2 years ago along with one upper ball joint. Last month I replaced sway bar end links front and rear along with new sway bar bushing front and rear. I jacked the front of the truck up and checked for side to side movement and in and out movement by hand and everything is tight. now with tire still in the air i put a large pry bar under the tire and lifted up and down and there seemed to be some movement but i cant tell from where or if this is normal.
any ideas on what this could be or something else i can check?
Thanks for the help

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
One more upper ball joint and both lower ball joints left.

When you check the sway bar end links, the wheels can't be hanging. That puts pressure on the end links.

Either crawl, reach under or have the truck on ramps, then check the end links. The nuts on the end links could have loosened.

Try re-tightening the nuts and bolts. :twocents:

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Either crawl, reach under or have the truck on ramps, then check the end links. The nuts on the end links could have loosened.

Try re-tightening the nuts and bolts. :twocents:

My first thought would be that the sway bar links have loosened up some since you installed them. You may want to make sure that the holes where the sway bar links are mounted have not 'rounded', which would create play too.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Upper Control arm bushings mines doing the same thing now they squeak a bit when its cold outside, get a flashlight and look at those bushings i bet they are shot

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
davenay67 said:
My first thought would be that the sway bar links have loosened up some since you installed them. You may want to make sure that the holes where the sway bar links are mounted have not 'rounded', which would create play too.

:iagree: it happen to me three times until I finally locked it tight for good :cool:

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for the help guys, I'll double check the sway bar links and upper control arm bushings.

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
thanks for the help here guys, it ended up being one of the sway bar end links came loose. now thats done i have the fun job of replacing the clutch fan, water pump, temp sensor, upper, lower rad hose's and then convert interior lights to LEDs and i almost forgot PCMforless is coming. I havnt told the wife about the pcmforless, I'll be interested to see if she notices after i install it :smile:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
98tsiawd said:
I havnt told the wife about the pcmforless, I'll be interested to see if she notices after i install it :smile:
Drive it like a granny while she's in the truck and maybe she won't. Save it for when she's not there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rikosintie

Members Online