charging system

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
when i start if it starts if it starts all nights are dime and battery indicator shows low voltage after about 10 sec everything jumps up and battery indicator shows normal volts .

if truck sits for a day or two wont start .

someome explain our charging system if its different than normal out there

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's mostly normal EXCEPT for that initial cold-weather hold-off. The alternator is prevented from starting up for a few seconds after a cold start, to allow the idle RPM to stabilize before the added mechanical load of the alternator is dumped onto the serpentine belt.

The battery draining when it sits for a while is one of two possible issues:

1) Old or dying battery. Easy to get tested at the parts stores. If 4-5 years old, it doesn't owe you anything and needs to be retired.

2) Parasitic (accidental) drain caused by something (usually an intelligent module) failing to go to sleep when it should, and drawing current when it should not be. These can be tough to troubleshoot. After you check the battery, come back and get advice about tracking parasitic drains. Do you own a voltmeter and know a bit about using it?

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
picked up a battery today ...figured i would change it the other has had some much drain on it sure its damaged now . i do own a meter my background is in electronics ,
Iam neil from the other site just getting really pissed at this truck . are they any know parasitic problems with these ?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
nbenjamin said:
are they any know parasitic problems with these ?
Most common is the OnStar module. Easy to disconnect under the passenger side of the rear seat if you're not a subscriber. Flaky ignition switch is also a possibility. LGM less often. HVAC blower control if you have automatic digital system or an EXT. Brake lights you'd probably have noticed if they're on with the vehicle off.

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
the roadie said:
Most common is the OnStar module. Easy to disconnect under the passenger side of the rear seat if you're not a subscriber. Flaky ignition switch is also a possibility. LGM less often. HVAC blower control if you have automatic digital system or an EXT. Brake lights you'd probably have noticed if they're on with the vehicle off.

" LGM less often " ? not sure what you mean . I wondered about about the ign but i always check to see if batt light on after key is out . I have noticed my cruise control does not always want to stay on so not sure if there is something with brake lights there .

anyways put new battery in old was shot .

went to change blower motor resister and harness is melted ..... GM price for connector $150.00 retail ha ha

so now I just wonder whats next on the list . An 05 almost $5000.00 in repairs ! and my dealer said he is still waiting for an answer from GM canada for 3 months now to reply to an email .

Never again will i ever purchase another GM never . I love the way this trailblazer drives when its derivable , but when its gone that it for me .

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
LGM is the lift gate module. It can fail, but it's not that common.

Battery is a consumable, after 4-5 years.

Did you actually pay that much for the resistor module, or is that just what they quoted you?

What else has contributed to that $5k (if you feel like sharing it here, that is), and how many miles do you have?

Good Luck!

Chris

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
christo829 said:
LGM is the lift gate module. It can fail, but it's not that common.

Battery is a consumable, after 4-5 years.

Did you actually pay that much for the resistor module, or is that just what they quoted you?

What else has contributed to that $5k (if you feel like sharing it here, that is), and how many miles do you have?

Good Luck!

Chris

the module i got for $50.00 needed it badly its freezing up here this week , the quote was for harness connector I almost died with laughter
when i was told . the problem wit these guys ( i don't mean all dealers I mean corporate GM )is they wont stand behind their product and try to steal every penny from us after they sell to us .

$5k is form almost every think that was posted on other sites about the 05 happened to me . even the driver door module ( which thank god i was able to fix myself too ) exhaust manifold , manifold blots , bearings , fuel pump , fuel sensor , water pump 3 times , fan clutch twice ..... don't want to go on any more i get pissed thinking about it ....

and all this at 140 000 km .

xxfile

Dec 28, 2011
Hey you're in Ontario... when you need some parts call Number 9 auto wreckers its near tottenham.
I got a fan clutch for $179 and wheel hubs for 179 each from them NEW not used.
they probably can get a lot of stuff for about 1/4 the price of the stealership and any of the local suppliers like napa etc..
they wanted 450 for the fan clutch everywhere else
and 700ish for the wheel hubs (each)
I refuse to buy parts anywhere in Canada anymore the raping of the consumer is insane... until I discovered #9 auto wreckers and YES they are cheaper chinese parts but so what!!!!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've probably put around $1500 in abnormal items in the year and 3 months I've had mine. Of course I've also put that much in it for typical wear items like tires, brakes, oil changes, shocks, etc...

Still seems odd to me how the same vehicles can be so different.

nbenjamin

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Sparky said:
I've probably put around $1500 in abnormal items in the year and 3 months I've had mine. Of course I've also put that much in it for typical wear items like tires, brakes, oil changes, shocks, etc...

Still seems odd to me how the same vehicles can be so different.

Actually i think i just happen to have all the problrms in my truck thats common to all the trucks. Water pump fan clutch blower motor res etc.

Just pisses me off cause 3rd gm im a row with problems they didnt address or care to fix.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online