Cat removal

Derrick Rucker

Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
Hey guys so the other day I started noticing a difference in my exhaust and then yesterday when starting my truck it hesitated and was almost dying with the exhaust sputtering so I am going with my cats are really stopped up, I have to go back to work tomorrow and don't want to drive it like this so today I'm going to try and cut it off and then later in the week just straight pipe it. Is there anyway to just unbolt it from the cat and leave it open for now or will I have to cut the pipe for a immediate fix?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is only one cat and it's welded to the pipe from the manifold so it would need to be cut off.

Are you sure it's the cat? As a temporary solution, remove the O2 sensor, which should improve drivability until you can replace it.

Derrick Rucker

Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
There is only one cat and it's welded to the pipe from the manifold so it would need to be cut off.

Are you sure it's the cat? As a temporary solution, remove the O2 sensor, which should improve drivability until you can replace it.
Reason why I am thinking its the cat is because when I start it up the exhaust sounds sputtered and if I put my hand at the end of the exhaust it's like a pulse instead of constant

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If the engine is almost dying it'll sputter through the pipe because it isn't running smoothly.

Pull the O2 and see if that smooths it out as it lets the exhaust out another way. Albeit a small hole, but at idle it would help diagnose at least.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online