Cargo Trailer

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Wondering if anyone has any experience towing an 18ft cargo trailer? I've done plenty of towing with a small 6x12 unit, my 19 foot boat and a popup - mostly with my old Aztek.

The reason I bought my 9-7x was for increased towing capacity, and everything seems in specs, but I was looking for a little real world input.

The trailer is an 18ft tandem axle, 2,790 lbs empty. I wouldn't have much weight in it - mostly band instruments and music stands. I don't have a WDH setup, but I'm not thinking I'll need it. Just towing 10-15 miles.

Comments?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Unless you are hauling 4k lbs of band equipment, no sweat.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
A few states require trailer brakes for tandem axles, and the trailer empty weight is close enough to where they'd be beneficial, so you might want to consider installing a brake controller.:yes:

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
I would add brakes and be good to go. At that weight probably wouldn't worry about WD hitch or transmission cooler.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Towed like a champ, and was large enough to get everything in one trip. Almost couldn't get it unhitched, the air system wouldn't lower it as I took weight off. Turned out the ball was caught in the trailer coupler, once I knocked it free is went right down. I did discover (maybe not news to others) that the air system will level, up and down, with the key turned but engine off - good news for me.

CIMG0356.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online