Can I drive temp. with 2 different size tires?

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Need to still find 2 rims for winter:redface: Was told I could run the 265/65/17 up front and the 245/65/17 on the rear "AS LONG AS I STAY IN 2WD"..?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Temporarily OK. You may get an ABS nag-o-lamp indication, but you can ignore it. Please don't delay too long, though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It'll look funny tho :tongue:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
It'll look funny tho :tongue:

Maybe not, bigger tires up front might act as a temporary leveling kit :smile:

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Well I'm glad to hear it's ok, even though it usually stays parked other than 2 10mi. trips a day but I haven't been using it since the tires went on. I have some great rims I didn't want to run through the salt and just traded my winter setup to my brother to help him out so I've been trying to get another setup on the cheap..LOL! All I could find so far was a set of stock 245's and 1 pr. of descent Ranier rims w/o centercaps..I still can run the nasty old spare rim and get another but CL is thin pickins for cheap used 17" anything right now..haha
Good news is, mechanically perfect, Thanks to all you fellow members!:yes: ...but an expensive trail to blaze as we all do, LOL!:biggrin:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Put the bigger tires on the passenger side and just find a big ol fat chick to ride with you. Solved.

moneypit

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
willn513 said:
Put the bigger tires on the passenger side and just find a big ol fat chick to ride with you. Solved.
That would lead to much greater problems, when my wife found out.lol

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
willn513 said:

If you have the G80 it would hate you if u did this!

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I had bought 265/65/17 tires with 8/32nd threads left where the price too good to pass up. I put it on the front and it was way too close to the upper ball joint/ control arm area. I then put them in the back and all is well.

I've been driving with two different tire sizes for about 20K miles with no problems but my speedo is 02/mph off though.

You could tell that the tires were different sizes when the larger was in the front, but now they look much better in the back. It fills up some of the rear fender space.

I cant tell if my mpgs were effected, but if so, it would be ever so slightly.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
AV8ER said:

Either tire would need to be going 100 rpm faster than the other. So I am going to say not.

moneypit said:
Need to still find 2 rims for winter:redface: Was told I could run the 265/65/17 up front and the 245/65/17 on the rear "AS LONG AS I STAY IN 2WD"..?

Sounds right. The front driveshaft isn't coupled in 2WD as far as I know.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I'll be the bad guy and say don't do it. Wait until you have a matched set, you may inadvertently hit the 4WD switch just based on normal course of action.

I say if you choose to take this route be aware of the possible consequences, and I would disconnect the harness from the transfer case just to be safe, or just disconnect the switch.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Pulling fuse #48 in the back fuse box will also disable Four-wheel Drive.

As far as the space between the UBJ and the tire, I didn't think that changed. If you have 1/4", the tire doesn't get any closer.

Am I wrong?

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
AV8ER said:

Only if you did something to make the locker engage...and if it did, you might find yourself turning rapidly in the direction of the smaller tires :crazy: Probably would cause an accident...

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
Just came across this and it made me think. If both wheels tires are 65 series, the width will have nothing to do with rotation. If anything, it's just a staggered setup

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
ieatglue said:
Just came across this and it made me think. If both wheels tires are 65 series, the width will have nothing to do with rotation. If anything, it's just a staggered setup

The 65 is actually a percentage of the tire width. A 255/65 will have a wider sidewall compared to a 245/65. Ergo,the 255 would have a 165.75mm wide sidewall, and a 245 would have a 159.25mm sidewall, thus effecting overall diameter of the tire.

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Each of the three numbers in a tire size is meaningful, and figures into the diameter equation.

Absolutely correct each number must be considered when discussing tires. Try this link to get all the information with respect to tire sizing. It gives diameter, width and all other aspects of tire sizing. You can even make up your own sizes and the program will dissect the tire for you.

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Not much of a discussion for those of us with an NP4/NVG 126. Consensus is that it's never ok, not even to get you to the repair shop.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Members Online