Can a faulty water pump cause binding? 06 Saab 9-7X i6 AWD

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Hello All,
I was entering the freeway and stepped on the gas, it shifted nice and strong since I have PCM tuned then I heard a whoosh type of noise when I let off the gas that even my wife asked what the noise was. Went to my destination and then drove around to a few other places.
Got home to unload some groceries and decided to go out again after sitting for a good 1/2 hr, I noticed that pulling into a parking lot it acted as if the front wheels were locking up when I was trying to make a sharp turn going forward or reverse. Right there and then I decided to head back home since it did not feel normal.
I decided to check the front diff since I have a small leak, it was still good just need to pump in a little to bring it to level and took it for a drive, it drives and shifts great when driving straight but as soon as I an turning it seems to almost want to come to a complete stop and hesitates even with giving it gas.

While letting it idle to open my garage door, it started making a loud noise. It was coming from the water pump. Decided to take off the belt and it has play as I was able to lift it up and move from side to side.
I have spent all day yesterday reading posts here and on Trailvoy but none mentioned anything like my issue.

I changed all fluids using the correct ones last year and the transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago when I bought it from its previous owner. Tire size are all the same, both front wheel hubs were changed last year with GM parts as well.

I did notice yesterday that it was making a groan sound when I was turning the wheels, wonder if the pump is trying to seize putting strain on the PS pump. I did notice a few wks back that when I would get out of a parking lot, it would light up the Stabilitrak light when hitting the dip from the exit and then it would turn off when on flat.

I am going to change the water pump this week to see if it changes anything.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to see if this can cause my front wheels to bind.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you try to turn sharply while on dry asphalt, does it crow hop? Is it possible it's stuck in 4x4?

Edit: Of course it's not in 4x4 since it's AWD but is it possible that the AWD is not disengaging?

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks Mooseman.
Almost all the posts from both sites link this to a faulty encoder motor.

I would hate to just throw money at parts.

Is the AWD testing the same as the 4wd to see if it is engaging?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With the AWD it's different. You have to jack all 4 wheels off the ground and put it drive. When it senses the rear wheels spin at a different speed than the front, the encoder motor will engage the front wheels but only for a minute or two and will slowly disengage but re-engage again when rear wheel slip is detected again. If front wheels are always turning, encoder is stuck in engaged position.

Reactions: Berns

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks again Mooseman.

I think that the encoder motor is going to be the problem but will verify by lifting and putting in gear to see what happens.

First I am working on the water pump replacement as it needs it badly cause it is starting to put strain on the PS Pump and it is starting to make a groan when turning and then heading out to find a lift to do this test.

Good thing this is my weekend ride so it can sit while it is getting done.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If the PS pump is groaning under load (while turning the steering wheel), then it's either low on fluid or is defective. Check this video starting at 0:40. If it sounds the same, it's done. (PS: I don't recommend any additive to try and fix this like in the video).

Reactions: Mounce

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Thanks again Mooseman.

I think that the encoder motor is going to be the problem but will verify by lifting and putting in gear to see what happens.

First I am working on the water pump replacement as it needs it badly cause it is starting to put strain on the PS Pump and it is starting to make a groan when turning and then heading out to find a lift to do this test.

Good thing this is my weekend ride so it can sit while it is getting done.

If your PS pump is failing...could it be your rack acting herky-jerky when you turn, due to lack of pressure/fluid flow? And not the wheels actually binding up?
Or does the steering wheel turn smoothly?

A bad pump can pull hard on the engine as well when you turn. I've had cars stall over them before, when they get real bad.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
If your PS pump is failing...could it be your rack acting herky-jerky when you turn, due to lack of pressure/fluid flow? And not the wheels actually binding up?
Or does the steering wheel turn smoothly?

A bad pump can pull hard on the engine as well when you turn. I've had cars stall over them before, when they get real bad.

The water pump is making a loud sound and is very loose. I verified by taking off belt and moving it around and it has play.
When turning, it seems to make steering hard and I am concerned that the WP is putting strain on the PS pump so I have not driven it until I am able to change out the pump and then test it.

The downside of having AWD I guess.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Definitely change the water pump if it's failing but I doubt it would do anything to the PS pump. The rubber belt wouldn't transmit anything really from one to the other. Change the water pump and then the PS pump if proven faulty.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks to all that replied. Working on it today and we'll see.

Note that I forgot to mention that I drove my 9-7x a month ago thru a flood here in Cali.
It was pretty bad and I hope that I did not mess anything up doing so.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Ended up doing the water pump and it took away the noise but while at the shop I asked them to check the whole car.
My tires were worn down almost to the indicator, my right strut (passenger) was completely gone and my left (driver) had a leak and rear shock were shot. I thought so at 140k and not sure when the first owner has changed them out. Could not find any receipts for that work on the files I got from the previous owner.

Had to get all tires replaced, front and rear struts/shocks and some fluids replaced.

I ended forking up 2k on all the work that was needed, even the guy at the shop was amazed that it had not took a toll on the rest of my suspension.

I took it for a test drive and it was still binding so I had them it up on the lift and I checked the front tires by spinning them and they did good by spinning with no effort and would go the opposite direction then I had them put it in drive and immediately the front wheels were going the same speed as the rear. I had the tech hold it and it did not disengage. I had the tech hold it at a higher speed and no disengaging. The shaft kept spinning and not disengaging.

Will drain the tcase to see the condition even though I just drained it about a year ago and about 2k miles on it since replaced.

Will keep all updated.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Problem Solved.....
It ended up being encoder motor.

Took it off and no more binding. Even did a perfect circle in a parking lot without binding.

Drove it around it even feels like it is lighter.

Ordered a Cardone with lifetime warranty and will get it by Tuesday.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks to all that responded.
Got the reman Cardone motor in and it drives like a dream.

I did not get a light that told me it was out but when I pulled it out the notch was pointing between 10 and 11 o'clock and was in a different position than the reman one I got.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.