Camping/ property owners

BaDAppLe

Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I own a few acres approx. 1.5 hours from where I live that we use to camp on. It's elevation is 2600ft. With awesome views. While 2 acres is not enough to wheel on its in a area that has more seasonal roads and right of ways than paved roads. We use the property as a snowmobile camp in the winter as a trail crosses my land. We put a camper on it for the winter. Being that I'm in Western NY I can ride a snowmobile from my my land to my home via the extensive state funded trail system. I hope to frame a small cabin, and add a composting toilet system this summer. The property has history dating back to the 1800 as old oil fields. We have found numerous old bottles such as elixir ,and root extract. I plan to purchase a metal detector to try and locate old tools, coins, or whatever from the oil boom days. I will add pics when I can as this forum isn't apple iPad or iPhone friendly. Anyone else have a rural boondock camp area? I'd like to hear about it!!

nieman88

Mar 10, 2014
That sounds really really nice. They have a trail system there too? I know Maine does.
I wish NJ had something like that. Everyone around here waits until winter to bring their toys out. The "lake" freezes over and they all ride.
Some people ride on the trails but aren't really supposed to :sadcry: Silly Jersey.

Did you build the cabin yet?

nieman88

Mar 10, 2014
to add on, Ive been camping my entire life. Tents, camper, and cabin.

My parents took me up to Maine as soon as...well, I was less than a year old.
Great grandfather built a cabin up there. The original camp they built was soon replaced by a new cabin they built which was the one i "grew up" in on the weekends.
We would make the 8hr drive (dad drove slow and mother had to stop a lot, and dog needed to stretch its legs) every Friday night during the summer.
I had cousins that lived right across the road and they still do.
Our family was one of the first developers back there by the pond near Sebago Lake. We had at least 3 cabins that I know of.
We sadly sold our cabin many years ago (because of the drive and we had a camper at a local campground on a seasonal site) but I dream of buying it back someday. And if there's nothing left of it, I will rebuild with the same floor-plan.

Look closely behind the picnic table, there is a yellow chair. I grew up sitting in that chair. Im surprised they kept them. Those chairs are at the very very least 25 years old. I felt like taking it and restoring it. lol

View attachment 33293

Attachments

• Maine.jpg
    Maine.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Got approximately 100 acres of what was a piece of the old family farm. The main farm sold, but this piece is up a hollow (or as we call it in WV, "up the holler") and never was actually attached to the farm, and the family retained it when they sold the main farm back in 1976. The ground is about 10 acres of bottom, and all the rest is good ol WV hillside. It's been the family hunting grounds for years, but recently Dad and I have been talking about building a small cabin up there. We would use it for hunting, and we already use it for a place to put the trucks when we ride, but it'd make a better launch point for going 4 wheeler riding on the hundreds of miles of trails in the surrounding area if we had a place to stay up there.

We have problems during squirrel, turkey, and deer seasons with poachers who come in from Ohio. We've found piles (yes, more than one and definitely over someone's legal limit) of deer carcasses in the creek for the past two seasons where the #&%* poachers come in a few days before season opens, cut the tenderloin out of the deer and just dump the rest. It's wasteful, and on top of that, there's a small and poor family who live near there we let hunt up there, and they actually use their harvest for their main source of meat during the season. The poachers are just taking meat out of that family's mouth when they waste the deer like that. The local DNR is worthless, we've tried. This past season we almost caught them in the act, and you can bet that during spring gobbler season Dad and I will be on our toes. We warned them once in a polite way before, if we catch them again they'll regret the day they decided to trespass and poach on our land.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Envoy_04 said:
Got approximately 100 acres of what was a piece of the old family farm. The main farm sold, but this piece is up a hollow (or as we call it in WV, "up the holler") and never was actually attached to the farm, and the family retained it when they sold the main farm back in 1976. The ground is about 10 acres of bottom, and all the rest is good ol WV hillside. It's been the family hunting grounds for years, but recently Dad and I have been talking about building a small cabin up there. We would use it for hunting, and we already use it for a place to put the trucks when we ride, but it'd make a better launch point for going 4 wheeler riding on the hundreds of miles of trails in the surrounding area if we had a place to stay up there.

We have problems during squirrel, turkey, and deer seasons with poachers who come in from Ohio. We've found piles (yes, more than one and definitely over someone's legal limit) of deer carcasses in the creek for the past two seasons where the #&%* poachers come in a few days before season opens, cut the tenderloin out of the deer and just dump the rest. It's wasteful, and on top of that, there's a small and poor family who live near there we let hunt up there, and they actually use their harvest for their main source of meat during the season. The poachers are just taking meat out of that family's mouth when they waste the deer like that. The local DNR is worthless, we've tried. This past season we almost caught them in the act, and you can bet that during spring gobbler season Dad and I will be on our toes. We warned them once in a polite way before, if we catch them again they'll regret the day they decided to trespass and poach on our land.

Booby traps. Everywhere. Perimeter defense, whether active or passive. Could try gathering up and borrowing as me hunting cameras as possible in an attempt to gain ID, if humans trip them like deer do. Could get super-fancy if you're technically minded, and use an array of microphones to attempt to triangulate whereabouts they're usually setting up shop at, and catch them red-handed. A bunch of cheap-o MP3 players with voice recording functionality, gather up every 24 hours (assuming they can hold that much) and look through the voice recording on Audacity, and find any loud spots, then confirm for gunfire and using others from the array grid home in on roughly where they usually perch up. That's a pretty home-brew way of doing it, but I'm trying to think on a budget lol.

Leave up signs, plenty of them. NO TRESPASSING! What're they gonna do, say they got injured on your land by trespassing to do some good ol' illegal hunting and it's your fault when they've been warned?

And what all access points from a main road is there to the land? If there's only a few, monitoring would be trivial to do with something like a hunting camera (again, assuming a human can trip them - can they?). If there's a bunch, it may become more complicated.

And... yes, everyone says holler up here. And literally every road isn't just a road, it's a "run". Turkey Run Road, Broad Run Road, Narrow Run Road (Broad and Narrow both in the same county), and most roads that aren't runs are Creek. Cow Creek, etc. It's odd and not very imaginative. :rotfl:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
We've got a boatload of no hunting signs up, and I do have a trail cam or two that I just got recently that I plan on putting up before spring gobbler season opens. Humans can indeed trip them, and they work great for catching idiots red-handed. :yes:

As to the naming, I literally laughed out loud, the land is up a road (in Ritchie County, actually, that's where all my folks come from) called "Cabin Run" :biggrin: Of course there's also Long Run and Short Run in Wirt, along with other assorted Runs and Creeks

Of course you can't forget the names that locals mispronounce things as either. Gillespie becomes "Glaspy" in the local dialect, and the oddly named little area of Chiveaux de Frise that is pronounced locally as "Shiver de Freeze." Then there's Pisgah, which is of course "Pisgy" Those are just the few I can come up with off the top of my head.

I speak English and "un poquito Espanol" but I consider myself to be multi-lingual as I understand and speak many forms of Appalachian and Redneck fluently. :rotfl:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
envoy_04 said:
i literally laughed out loud, the land is up a road called "cabin run" :rotfl:

I told you!!!

Which is funny, because there's a Cabin Run Farm up in Middlebourne which is NOT on a Cabin Run road, and a Cabin Run Cemetery east of Harrisville that's also not on a Cabin Run road.

And take a look at this wonderful naming convention: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.316719,-80.8487736,14z

Featured is both Long Run AND Short Run, with a side of something that's not a run: Four Wheel Drive Road. Too edgy for me!

And there's another Long Run which is both a road AND a creek, here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.375767,-81.194686,15z

West Virginia, man.... :no:

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
IllogicTC said:
I told you!!!

Which is funny, because there's a Cabin Run Farm up in Middlebourne which is NOT on a Cabin Run road, and a Cabin Run Cemetery east of Harrisville that's also not on a Cabin Run road.

And take a look at this wonderful naming convention: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.316719,-80.8487736,14z

Featured is both Long Run AND Short Run, with a side of something that's not a run: Four Wheel Drive Road. Too edgy for me!

And there's another Long Run which is both a road AND a creek, here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.375767,-81.194686,15z

West Virginia, man.... :no:

Long and Short Run ARE in Doddridge, don't know what I was thinking saying Wirt. :lipsrsealed: Yea, our naming is pretty odd here to others. Seems right normal to us though! :yes:

A side note, ever notice how you ask someone from anywhere in the US where they're from and they tell you a town? WV residents don't do that, we give county names. Just notice that sometime, it's weird. :undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online