Bye Bye Z/28

Frazier

Original poster
May 1, 2016
Utah
I was thinking about doing a DOD delete down the road. It's a daily driver/road trip vehicle so I don't want to get too crazy.

And an external transmission cooler.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Welcome. :tiphat:

If you want to keep it pretty stock maybe you shouldn't hang around here much... Mod bug becomes quite strong with some browsing here. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nahh..... there's plenty of mods to do that won't affect it much. Appearance upgrades are minor and simple. But you know, that V8 would love to turn some slightly bigger tires... :biggrin:

Welcome!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome! Nice TB. The V8's really like to get a tune, which makes it easy to turn off the DOD/AFM without having to tear into the engine. Although the I6 is more predominant, there are a few of us here with the V8.

Frazier

Original poster
May 1, 2016
Utah
Sparky, I would love taller tires. But the tires that are currently on it are all matching and brand new. So that probably won't happen for awhile.

Mooseman, DOD delete is down the road as well. Something I would do should a lifter fail or should I start burning oil.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Stick around, there's more to learn :biggrin:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Welcome from another V8 guy.
waving.gif

What Z28 did you have?

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Welcome, sir! Not sure what your plan is with the truck mod wise, but there's a decent amount of things you are able to do to these trucks, surprisingly. When I first got my truck my parents frowned upon me modifying it. (It was my grandfather's and I bought it off my grandmother for $3500 98k miles). They still do but for some reason Trailblazer parts just keep showing up to my doorstep that I may or may not order myself. :wink:

If you want to do some LED upgrades, the blinkers, reverse and taillights all use 3157 bulbs which most of us pick up on eBay. The rear blinkers do require the CK LEDs. Dome lights use T10/194 LED's if you are looking to upgrade those as well :smile:

Just trying to be brief, if you want more info, feel free to take a stroll around here as there is a ton of info packed into this site. Once again, welcome to the family. :smile:
Ryan

Dec 4, 2011
Well now that I have 2 kids, it was time to say goodbye to the ol Camaro. I'm an LS guy so I searched long and hard to find a low mileage V8 TB. View attachment 75889 View attachment 75890

That picture of the engine compartment would look real nice with an SS engine cover. I know it is cheating but all I need is a silver dollar sized GMC badge then it becomes a Denali engine cover, right!!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice find on the new ride

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I was thinking about doing a DOD delete down the road. It's a daily driver/road trip vehicle so I don't want to get too crazy.

And an external transmission cooler.

In the meanwhile, you might want to read this thread to disable DOD now before a lifter fails:
How to disable AFM/DOD at no cost

I'm not convinced this is truly a problem aside from burning oil. About a year after I got my Sierra I started to get the lifter ticking. I read up on it started to see a lot of threads both here and on the full size forums about the dreaded DOD issue. When I really dug deep into it, the actual number of serious problems that I could validate were few and far between. Most people just panic when they here the lifter tick and spend the money fixing it before they know what they really have. IMHO, that's good money after bad.

I started using synthetic oil and the ticking is gone. It still burns more oil than I think it should, but I check it regularly. Never let it get low is what I read. Every GM V8 I've ever had burned some oil. I've got 115k on it and no indication that there are any collapsed lifters.

Regarding the trans cooler, unless you are towing a travel trailer that's big enough to push your capacities, or a really big boat, you really don't need it.

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online