Bumper step plates

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Heads up for everyone who may have seen these on TBSSowners. A little back ground on these. 3 years ago I designed these using my degree in Drafting & Design and I also made the door sills in billet and lighted stainless steel for the TBSS.
I'm looking at start up again in about 2 weeks and will have some new little twists in the design. Blank ones for regular TBs and Envoys will be in the works as well.... lines all the way across will also be an option. Price will be around $200 depending on polishing/powder coating etc. I'll have final numbers next week hopefully (delay- death in CNC guys family).
This is the one on mine. Let me know if you have ideas or questions. Thx

gloss black

examples of door sills

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
JamesL3 said:
Assuming they'll fit rainiers too? What are the odds of getting the Buick logo centered on one?
I'm assuming all of those plastic stock plates share the same outer dimensions. So this is the reason for making one without the "SS" in the middle so I can have logos laser cut from stainless steel to attach in the middle spot. Jeff JRSS is checking on a person who does overlays that might be able to make them fit the logos for a different look.

Reactions: JamesL3

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Hmm, upgrading to a metallic step plate? Will having a three-component version for the earlier rear bumpers be an option? Might be nice for someone who doesn't dig the plastic but isn't looking to upgrade to a full-metal bumper.

Reactions: DFWWIZ

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hmm, upgrading to a metallic step plate? Will having a three-component version for the earlier rear bumpers be an option? Might be nice for someone who doesn't dig the plastic but isn't looking to upgrade to a full-metal bumper.
I have been contemplating that. IT would need to be down the road a bit after the full version is settling out. But it is doable, yes. I just need someone local to me that I can get dimensions of the stock plates and go from there.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Sign me up. I have been contemplating lately on what to do with my faded bumper step pad.

A blank powder coated black with polished lines across would look sweet.

Reactions: JamesL3 and DFWWIZ

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'd love some rs ones or just blanks
Aight cool. If some of you can post up pics of logos, letters, of what you want, then we can determine numbers of each, size, colors and that sort of info.
Or possible do a poll to see what people would like, because if there are tons of different logos and they are one of, then the cost may be a factor which may or may not be prohibitive. I wish I had room to get a plasma table set up then I could make logos myself. But my garage is full now with powder coating gun/table/ovens, media blast cabinet, air compressor, drill press and tool chest/sets.

Reactions: dmanns67

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thank you guys. Both of those are very doable in a flat not so much 3D emblem, but those could be scaled to a size that fits the middle of the plate and be laser cut out of stainless steel then maybe add some powder coating and/or color overlays. I need to stop by the shop that does my laser cutting and check on the Aero door sills that I've been waiting on.

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
IllogicTC said:
Yesterday I had the chance to look at the 3 tier TB and the upper outer plastic pieces are all molded in one piece so I'm not really sure how it would look laying another plate on top. but the center lower piece is a separate piece and would be able to be replaced. That piece might be around $70 for a "lined" billet piece depending on how many want one of course. The more qty made the cheaper it gets.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I thought the upper ones were able to be removed as well. You just have to remove the cover from the bumper...

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
djthumper said:
I thought the upper ones were able to be removed as well. You just have to remove the cover from the bumper...
What he is saying is the upper peice is huge and curved and can't be removed and replaced by a single flat piece. You could still set a piece on top of the step part but it would look silly there. Maybe a picture will help. All the faded plastic is one piece. The step part can NOT be removed independently.

IMG_0036-1.jpg

Reactions: DFWWIZ

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yeah, I was out looking at mine. If I were to do the step I would probably only do the center plate anyhow.

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
I'm definitely in for a set of sills and the bumper pad, now i need some more Buick folks to jump in to keep cost down :wooot:

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ghoster said:
Going to do any work for other vehicles??
Thanks for the compliments everyone and thank you for the post of the corner TB picture. It would be interesting to see the under side of the piece to see how thick it is...possibilities of "shaving" it?
Yes I want to have these for most of the platforms in some way shape or form. I saw an Envoy as I was driving/stopped at a light and it looks to be the same as the long TBSS, just with diagonal "bars" on them. The smaller middle plate for TBs will be an easy one in lines across but since it is so much smaller I'm not sure about the center logo being a part of it. I need to do a little more research.

Reactions: JamesL3

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Just an update on progress on these step plates.
I've been chatting back and forth with Billy on these for now and his is very meticulous in doing his magic. His price is very good, better then what I thought it would be, so $200 price shipped is max. I do however have to front $400 for him to make a "jig" to hold the plates on his machine in the process of cutting them. The jig will be made later this next week and should be getting first plates going in about a week to 10 days. I've already gotten payments from 4 people and a 5th will pay in a week so that helps with expenses getting this going. June should have this going full bore and I think maybe it would be good to get an idea of who wants what version and type of finish so a list will be started to that effect. Sound good? LMK
Thx
Kev

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
These should be ready to start moving this week. I did text back and forth with Billy middle of last week and he said he was pretty much ready. So with that being said I will start taking payments for those who want one. I'll be making them until all who want one, have one.

Reactions: TexazReece

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I can also send a bare bones version that you finish up yourself with painter, powder coater or polisher near you. Price is $150 shipped

jomulk56

Apr 21, 2014
I wish I could right now. I'll have to see how money goes for the next few weeks.

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
ITs all good...I'm making at least 50 of them over time. :thumbsup:

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
Was there any other interest in a Buick one, or was I the only one? I'm interested eventually, but cost goes up if demand is low, right?

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well I haven't really said much about them until I have them in hand which should be this week. If you know of any other guys on here you might reach out to them cuz I am making at least 50 plates. OR you can help me out and start a thread too.

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The plates are delayed-table on CNC was 2" too short so I'm looking at a couple other guys with larger 60 x 30 tables. But the door sills are getting done this week in 2 versions- "SS" and the bowtie. The P.O. was signed today and they will make 10 sets of each to start with on wed or thurs.
$100 per set (pair).

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Chatted with a guy who has 60 x 40 table on plates last Friday. Just waiting on his quote some time this week.

Jul 4, 2013
I am definitely interested in this; but want to know the cost as well as adding something and whatever the up charge might be.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
In the first post it says around $200 but I don't believe I have heard much else on this. You may want pm or even email DFWWIZ.

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I did find a guy who has a 60" but he wants $130 just for material and to machine them. Plus he said he needed 6 weeks lead time. I think that cost is too high by the time I powder coat, tape off, sand, polish and $30-40 for shipping and material, I'm not even making minimum wage for my time. Unless people want to pay a little more like $30 more than the $200 which is what I had hoped for.

Reactions: dmanns67 and Mounce

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
DFWWIZ said:
I did find a guy who has a 60" but he wants $130 just for material and to machine them. Plus he said he needed 6 weeks lead time. I think that cost is too high by the time I powder coat, tape off, sand, polish and $30-40 for shipping and material, I'm not even making minimum wage for my time. Unless people want to pay a little more like $30 more than the $200 which is what I had hoped for.
Price can't always be promised in small-time operations. Wal-Mart can price-match stuff even when they're losing a dollar or more sometimes, because they've hit "too-big-to-fail" status and have longstanding and huge relationships with their suppliers.

If the price needs to go up, as long as it shows in the quality of the part when received, installed, and used for a while to determine how it holds up, then it won't matter much.

Reactions: Mounce and Aarkon

DFWWIZ

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm also going to add red side fire LEDs to the underside back edge which can be used as either brake or running lights. With Christmas right around the corner it will probably be January now. And I still have way too much inventory of aluminum door sills and need to recoup my money back from those first.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
DFWWIZ said:
I'm also going to add red side fire LEDs to the underside back edge which can be used as either brake or running lights. With Christmas right around the corner it will probably be January now. And I still have way too much inventory of aluminum door sills and need to recoup my money back from those first.
Aren't to bump that thread with current inventory from time to time, we get new members everyday that likely won't see it unless someone posts in it.

Reactions: Denali n DOO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online