Brews - Beers - Whatcha been drinking?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And here's a picture of me with another of my favourites. A little pricier but worth it.

The-Most-Interesting-Man-In-The-World.jpg

Reactions: C-ya

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I like this when I drink southern brew
nm_header.jpg

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I got some New Glarus brews last Friday when my tech came through Wisconsin. Moon Man ( a great pale ale), Bubbler, a hefeweiss with a bit of spice notes, and Oud Bruin. I haven't had a Bruin yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll try to keep two or 3 in the basement and see how it ages.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Moon Man is Freaking GREAT!!! My buddy has his brother bring it every time he comes around. He rations it like his last meal.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yep, I got a case of MM. The first 12er goes quick and then I slow down on the second.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Finally got my temp controller together so I can brew year-round now. Yay!

Temp%20controller_zps3erl2th8.jpg

Reactions: Matt

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Somehow when I think of Countries with great beer brewing tradition, I just can't get to "Mexico" :uhno:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Finally got my temp controller together so I can brew year-round now. Yay!

Temp%20controller_zps3erl2th8.jpg

Is it too hot or too cold where you are?

I brew year round, all grain and just use a brew belt during fermentation and secondary in the basement. It's usually around 60-65° during the winter despite having heating from the furnace.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Is it too hot or too cold where you are?

I brew year round, all grain and just use a brew belt during fermentation and secondary in the basement. It's usually around 60-65° during the winter despite having heating from the furnace.

I'm in SW MI, and it gets toasty here in the summer. Not FL toasty (I'm from FL), but warm enough to mess up my beer brewing! The winter is about right for about 5 months. I have a tri-level house, so my "basement" isn't exactly a basement. It is a little better than half underground. In the winter, the basement temps are in the mid-60's, which is perfect once high krausen is over, and I don't even worry about that as it is only 2 or 3 days. I ferment for 3 weeks so the yeast clean up any mess they made. I can move my 2.5 gal fermenters up or down on the shelving unit they are on to fine-tune the temp if need be. I want to move up to 5 gal batches in a single fermenter, and I want to be able to brew in the summer. I wasn't sure how the basement would do for a 6.5 gal fermenter. With the fridge as an option, I don't have to worry now.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm in SW MI, and it gets toasty here in the summer. Not FL toasty (I'm from FL), but warm enough to mess up my beer brewing! The winter is about right for about 5 months. I have a tri-level house, so my "basement" isn't exactly a basement. It is a little better than half underground. In the winter, the basement temps are in the mid-60's, which is perfect once high krausen is over, and I don't even worry about that as it is only 2 or 3 days. I ferment for 3 weeks so the yeast clean up any mess they made. I can move my 2.5 gal fermenters up or down on the shelving unit they are on to fine-tune the temp if need be. I want to move up to 5 gal batches in a single fermenter, and I want to be able to brew in the summer. I wasn't sure how the basement would do for a 6.5 gal fermenter. With the fridge as an option, I don't have to worry now.

Ah, I see. I have a "proper" basement, so the temp is pretty stable, but a little cool in the winter. I brew full 6 gal batches all the time and haven't had an issue. I'm going to have to adjust when we end up moving to Florida though.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Ah, I see. I have a "proper" basement, so the temp is pretty stable, but a little cool in the winter. I brew full 6 gal batches all the time and haven't had an issue. I'm going to have to adjust when we end up moving to Florida though.

Funny you say that. I mentioned on another forum I frequent that I got it built and can get back to brewing. A guy moved from MD about a year ago and hasn't brewed since he has been in FL. He said he built one using the same components and was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it. LOL.

When and where to in FL? I am from FL originally. I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and grew up in north-central FL near Lake City and Live Oak (I went to school in Branford), and spent a few years in the Navy and afterwards in the Jacksonville/Mayport area. Love it as it is "home", but my wife was born and raised in MI, so here we are. I was always away from home joining the Navy right out of high school, so it ain't no thang.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
A few days ago at one of the Milwaukee County Parks beer gardens I had a 3 Sheeps Rebel Kent amber ale. Excellent! They are in Sheboygan, WI.

http://www.3sheepsbrewing.com/beer/

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Speaking of Cheboygan (Brewing out of Cheboygan, MI), I had three of their Blood Orange Honey Ales. Damn tasty stuff!

Drinking a Spotted Cow right now.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Funny you say that. I mentioned on another forum I frequent that I got it built and can get back to brewing. A guy moved from MD about a year ago and hasn't brewed since he has been in FL. He said he built one using the same components and was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying it. LOL.

When and where to in FL? I am from FL originally. I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and grew up in north-central FL near Lake City and Live Oak (I went to school in Branford), and spent a few years in the Navy and afterwards in the Jacksonville/Mayport area. Love it as it is "home", but my wife was born and raised in MI, so here we are. I was always away from home joining the Navy right out of high school, so it ain't no thang.

We'll be on the Gulf Coast somewhere near Ft Meyers/Bonita Springs...maybe Estero but nothing's set in stone yet...have to wait until 2023, worst case.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Good deal. Never did much around that part of the state - Sarasota south on the Gulf side.

Enjoy it when you get there!

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Over the Barrel
Root Beer

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
What can that possibly taste like ? :undecided: Mike.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tried a newer local brewpub last night. 450 North Brewery. Good stuff.

Tried:
Honey Kolsch- The basic golden brew
Farmers Daughter--Nice farmhouse ale w a touch of sweet wheat
Scarecrow- Solid basic IPA
Barn Yeti - Surprisingly good to me. Belgian Dark Ale. Not my typical choice but would drink again
Legendberry- Sweet cider...nope
812 Harvest- My favorite--wet hopped IPA with local hops
Juice Box- Tangerine IPA...Not a big fan, but some seem to like the fruit brews
Emerald Elixer-- Hard cider that reminded me of some great homemade dry pear wine we used to get when we were ice fishing. Should have brought some home

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Thanks for reminding me....I'm sitting here like a F'n dummy, time to raid the fridge :tequila: Mike.

Last edited:
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Had a round with the Samuel Adams Winter Variety Pack over T-giving...

Boston--boring
Winter Lager--Ahh...not my thing
Old Fezziwig-- Different. Good for one, but not wanting a ton more
Chocolate Bock--Totally not my kind of brew, but damn did I like it and want more. Surprised as hell
Hoplake IPA--I can dig it. I like IPA though. The guy trying em w me does not, but was impressed by the clean finish and said one of better he had.
Ginger Beer-- WHY? I never seem to get a good flavor from these. Just not my thing I guess.

My sister came down from Detroit and brought me a few, but I only tried one.
Griffin Claw: Norm's Raggedy Ass IPA
I rather enjoyed it. I can see why they like their brews. Nice and smooth with great flavor.
RaggedyAss-2683web.png

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I also tried a Sam Variety pack over Thanksgiving. I like everything in there, but the seasonals are great this time of year. I like the Old Fezziwig and Winter Lager for their spices. I liked the Ginger enough to drink them but not enough to get a 6er of just that. The Chocolate Bock is awesome! I generally get some Young's Double Chocolate Stouts over the holidays as well but I like bocks (and double and triple bocks) and stouts any time of the year.

I saw that Raggedy-Ass IPA in the store and almost grabbed some. I believe I will next time. One that I have been drinking a bit of is Cheboygan's Blood Orange Honey Ale and their Lighthouse Altbier. Both are really good - to me, at least! I got hooked on alt's over in Germany while there for work in 2014 and August of this year.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think there is a Blood Orange in the pack she brought me actually

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
There are several folks doing the blood orange thing. I like it better in an IPA, but it is pretty darn good in the wheats, too. The first beer I had with it in it was Dogfish Head's Flesh & Blood IPA. Damn good beer!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Tried this IPA...good but, still not as good as Saranac Legacy IPA .
monkey-for-web.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have the Saranac Vaiety pack in the fridge...well part and a backup under the bar. The Legacy is good stuff. I tend to favor their brews though

Reactions: northcreek

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
@HARDTRAILZ , I had a Raggedy Ass IPA last night. That is a good beer!

Tonight I had a Saugatuck Brewing Snow Wizard Oak Aged Brown Ale @ 7% and damn tasty! I also had a Sierra Nevada Maple Scotch Ale. Lots of malt, a little maple and hardly any Scotch. 7.3%, but I'm not feeling it. I've got a Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata chilling atm. I love this beer! I have a clone recipe for it that I need to make.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Tried my Vanilla Porter last night after 2 weeks in the bottle...it's the shit!

Reactions: C-ya and HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tried 3 new ones last night.

Short's Brew - Locals Light

A more flavorful version of an your typical American brew. Very drinkable.

Roak Around the Clock

Honestly had high hopes for this one, but as a Session IPA...it fell short. Just seemed to be something missing. Not bad overall, but not one that had wishing I bought two.

North Peak - Blitzen Festivus Ale

A dark amber beer that is definitely a winter time brew. Lots of spice but pretty clean fell and finish. Not the hoppy I tend to go for, but I could have a few of them around the holidays and be satisfied.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My wife and I are down with the colds from hell.....
FYI three ales work better than Nyquil...:tequila:

Reactions: Tiggerr

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My go-to beers lately have been All Day IPA and PC Pils from Founders. I had a sixer each of Great Lakes Brewing's Christmas Ale and Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve for the holidays along with a winter sampler from Sam Adams.

I have a cream ale fermenting at the moment. About another week and a half in the fermenter and it will be bottling time. I think I'll try some fruit flavor extract in a few bottles to see how it goes.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

Qualified – Belgian Quadrupel
Style: Belgian Quadrupel
ABV: 9.5%
IBU: 28

Description: For those Qualified, our abbey-style quadrupel. This strong, dark ale features Belgian specialty malts with rich, deep notes of raisin and plum, enhanced by dynamic Belgian esters. A sweet, complex ale, it’s the perfect dessert beer to sip and savor. Enjoy immediately or add to your cellar (if you can wait).

So good.... My buddy and I get to pick the brews where my wife and his gf work these days and we ordered up this one last week. Not my typical style, but I am glad we gave it a whirl. They only got 12 bombers and we killed 4 last night.

We pick the 5 tap brews as well and one of my favorites is there now....

Osiris Pale Ale is an assertive American Pale and is not meant for the timid. Crafted by our Brewers for our Brewers, Osiris blends three choice varieties of American hops to create a spicy, citrus hop punch that is sure to satisfy any hop head. Every batch of Osiris is dry-hopped towards the end of fermentation for maximum hop flavor, aroma and character.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm putting down a Summer Ale for my wife tomorrow.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I have an Altbier fermenting now, due to bottle next Sunday (the 18th). Wednesday I had a Noble Brewer Justin Frawley's Alternative American Ale, which was a great tasting Alt with Amarillo and Mosaic hops. I think the next Alt I do will have some Mosaic hops in it.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I don't drink all that often, usually only at my bud's house if he offers me a beer. I never much cared for any of the beers I've ever tried, minus the Colaweizen (German beer mixed with 1/3 Coca-Cola or Pepsi). But I finally came across one recently that I enjoy:
IMG_20170611_012850.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I love their lager in the green bottle. That's my regular go to. The amber is OK.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Finishing up the last couple of sixers of my XX Amber clone. Pretty tasty.

Green bottle beers don't do anything for me. Now, that's not to say I won't drink it if you gave me one!

Reactions: Capote

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Wife and I made a dent in the beer supply on the weekend. She was drinking her Summer Ale (which I just put down another batch on Saturday) while I smashed a few Dr Smurto's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online