Brews - Beers - Whatcha been drinking?

Bub

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I really liked the idea of listing everyones favorite alcohol thread, so I wanted to take it one step further and everyone list their favorite beers and reasons why, kind of give everyone else a chance to look for something new the next time they go to their favorite watering hole. I'll start

I was recently introduced to Kentucky Bourbon Beer it's an ale, it tastes like a good solid ale however the after taste is a delicious bourbon and at around 8% alcohol by volume it does pack a punch too. However I read somewhere that you can only get it in Kentucky, idk if anyone can confirm this??

View attachment 18002

Attachments

• KentuckyAle.jpg
    KentuckyAle.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 217

IAFF78

Dec 29, 2011
Phoenix bar in Ellicott City,MD is a great place to get some exoctic beers. They also have a beer challenge. 101 beers with no set time limit. Fill out the beer roster and they keep it on file. When you walk in you ask for your sheet and then start ordering from your list. When you finish the beer, the bartender initials the box next to the beer. Theres really no reward for this challenge except if you finish the challenge your names goes on a plaque hanging in the bar. I'm half way finished and I knocked off all the not so favorite beers. Should be smooth sailing from here.

Also try Maxs on Broadway in Fells point, MD. They have an amazing selection of beers on tap.

As for my fav i would have to say Chimay blue label if I'm in a easy going mood. Bottle is fancy smancy with a champagne cork and the taste is well balanced. Alcohol content is up in the 8% range if memory serves me right.

Now of course bud heavy or lite is my go to for bar hopping, football sundays and backyard BBQ's.

Bub

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I wil have to look into that Chimay Blue Label, the only beer I've ever had in a fancy bottle like that is Delirium Tremens, it's a Belgium, it has almost a candy after taste kind of sweet.

I do keep a quarter barrel of Miller Lite on tap in the kegerator for parties beer pong etc...

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
3 Floyds Gumball Head is my all time favorite. Stone IPA a close 2nd (although Arrogant Bastard is excellent too). When I'm thinking about dessert I usually grab a Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout (sounds weird I know, but its fantastic). For a quick and easy regular old beer I also like original Michelob (not light or ultra) or Original Coors Banquet Beer. Most of Rogue's beers are great too and Kels Irish Lager is always a staple in my house around St. Patty's day (1/2 and 1/2 with Guiness of course!).

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Living in Texas, I've gotta go with Shiner Bock Shiner.com. Used to be you couldn't get it anywhere but Texas, but I did find it in Destin, FL on my last vacation.
My backup if I can't find that is Blue Moon and if all else fails, Miller Lite.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
Living in Texas, I've gotta go with Shiner Bock Shiner.com. Used to be you couldn't get it anywhere but Texas, but I did find it in Destin, FL on my last vacation.
My backup if I can't find that is Blue Moon and if all else fails, Miller Lite.

Shiner Bock is good, been here in IN for years.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Shiner us great! They have a grapefruit beer called Ruby Redbird (yeah, yeah grapefruit sounds gross) that is excellent! Hard to beat the regular Shiner Bock though.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Here's a few Pics of the Southern Tier Brewery in Lakewood, NY. We went up last summer when visiting my wife's family in Erie, PA.

Attachments

• IMAG0056-1-1.jpg
    IMAG0056-1-1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0061.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 20

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Shiner Bock is good, been here in IN for years.

Good to know they've branched out. It's surprising how long there's been a German influence here in Texas. GERMANS | The Handbook of Texas Online. The Spoetzl Brewery is just one of the great things created with the knowledge they brought when they immigrated.

willn513 said:
Shiner us great! They have a grapefruit beer called Ruby Redbird

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give it a try :thumbsup:

Bub

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
This Ruby Redbird beer sounds fantastic, I'm gonna go shopping for that this weekend thanks for the heads up!

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Bub said:
This Ruby Redbird beer sounds fantastic, I'm gonna go shopping for that this weekend thanks for the heads up!

No problem! It is really good. May be tough to find now I think they only make it seasonally for the summer months but I could be wrong about that.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
From our local brewery:

pale_ale_thumb1.png
[h=2]Moosehead Pale Ale[/h]The beer that built the brewery. Moosehead Pale Ale was our first beer good enough to be called Moosehead. ‘Moose Red’ as it’s referred to in the Maritimes has a loyal following who appreciate its remarkably smooth, European-influenced taste.

And, from a local micro-brewery:Timber Hog

Bub

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Has anyone ever had any of the New Glarus beers?? I just started getting into them, I think the Back 40 Wisconsin Bock is my favorite so far

View attachment 18135

Attachments

• new glarus.jpg
    new glarus.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 31

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Bub said:
Has anyone ever had any of the New Glarus beers?? I just started getting into them, I think the Back 40 Wisconsin Bock is my favorite so far

View attachment 3080

NG has some great beers. Pretty soon the Cherry Stout (sounds strange, right) will be coming back out. It is a refreshing way to lighten up a heavy beer.

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
I am big into the micro brews, one of my fav places was red rock brewery in SLC, for the fellow southern AZ folks, Old Bisbee Brewery has a couple good brews. I enjoy most styles, IPA, Stouts, Lagers, Belgium's, witbier, ect. Can't remember what the stout was at Red Rock but it was good. I also do a little home brewing of my own when I am home, last one I did was an oatmeal stout. Unfortuanatly I have been pretty dry the last few months since I can not drink out here in Afghani land.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
My favorite is Yuengling Traditional Lager from Pottsville PA. :twocents: I also drink a lot of Moosehead Lager after I picked some up on my trip to Canada.

Bub

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
RayVoy said:
From our local brewery:

pale_ale_thumb1.png
[h=2]Moosehead Pale Ale[/h]The beer that built the brewery. Moosehead Pale Ale was our first beer good enough to be called Moosehead. ‘Moose Red’ as it’s referred to in the Maritimes has a loyal following who appreciate its remarkably smooth, European-influenced taste.

And, from a local micro-brewery:Timber Hog

I actually just had this for the first time great brew! They even stocked it at Jewel which I found surprising.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HOBGOBLIN DARK ALE from England is pretty tasty. We use to take a black marker and change the "H" to an "N", NOBGOBLIN and offer it to the ladies :thumbsup: ....

Attachments

• hobgoblin_new_1007.jpg
    hobgoblin_new_1007.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 104
  • imagesCA3UBCLP.jpg
    imagesCA3UBCLP.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Whats%20the%20matter%20America%202.jpg
    Whats%20the%20matter%20America%202.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 8
  • wychwood-hobgoblin-beer-review_preview.jpg
    wychwood-hobgoblin-beer-review_preview.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
There's some great beers listed. My favorite depends on my mood, and I don't have the time to make a list now, but one that I haven't seen listed is Tap Room 21 Lager

Tap Room No. 21 ::: Home

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Todays choices are Tiger from Singapore and Red Stripe from Jamaica....along with some Bud's of course. :thumbsup:

Cheers to the Olympics!

Go Canada Go! :wootwoot:

Attachments

• DSC02362.jpg
    DSC02362.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
Bub said:
I really liked the idea of listing everyones favorite alcohol thread, so I wanted to take it one step further and everyone list their favorite beers and reasons why, kind of give everyone else a chance to look for something new the next time they go to their favorite watering hole. I'll start

I was recently introduced to Kentucky Bourbon Beer it's an ale, it tastes like a good solid ale however the after taste is a delicious bourbon and at around 8% alcohol by volume it does pack a punch too. However I read somewhere that you can only get it in Kentucky, idk if anyone can confirm this??

View attachment 2915

ive drank some of these pretty good they do pack a punch........... dont know if you can get them outside of ky

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Todays choices are Tiger from Singapore and Red Stripe from Jamaica....along with some Bud's of course. :thumbsup:

Cheers to the Olympics!

Go Canada Go! :wootwoot:

You seem to love those cans!! lol I personally think they taste bad in a can I am a bottle or draft beer person :biggrin:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Black_tb said:
ive drank some of these pretty good they do pack a punch........... dont know if you can get them outside of ky

They have them at Kroger here, but $12.50 for 4 :eek:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Bub said:

View attachment 2915

Yeah,I just tried one of these that my niece brought back from the race...pretty unique taste..I must find more.
I've kind of taken a liking to the Pale Ales and Sierra Nevada makes a great one, I'm starting to see it everywhere so I guess I'm not alone.
SO MANY BEERS..SO LITTLE TIME:frown:

Bub

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Imperial makes a pumpkin beer....delicious pick some up bros

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I have several favorite beers, too many to list in fact. living so close to Canada I often trek there for some good ones.

I do however, hate living down the road from Budweiser here in NY, less than 2 miles. When they're brewing, that shit is rancid.

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
One of my favorite is George Killians Irish Red. very smooth taste. but unfortunately I have not been able to have any while being in Korea. So my Main choices as of lately are Budwieser, BudLight Platinum, Cass, OB. Cass and OB are Korean beers and taste like Budlight. I don't know if any of y'all have had bud light platinum yet but it is not watered down like bud light and has a more fuller taste

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dang it I want a beer but my fridge is empty and I don't want to go out to the store just for that.

Pardon me while I go drink some water with lemon :lipsrsealed:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I've always been partial to Founders. Not so much that they are right here in my home town but because they make beer for the true beer lover.

If you have never tried it I recommend their Indian Pale Ale.

View attachment 23222

Attachments

• founderscentennialipa.jpg
    founderscentennialipa.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 79

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Have to give that a try if I can find some here.I'm hooked on the Pale Ale's and am especially fond of the one from Sierra Nevada.Founders should lose the twist cap,usually not a sign of quality beer..just sayin' Mike
View attachment 23225

Attachments

• 2010_Beer_PaleAle.jpg
    2010_Beer_PaleAle.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 77

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
Have to give that a try if I can find some here.I'm hooked on the Pale Ale's and am especially fond of the one from Sierra Nevada.Founders should lose the twist cap,usually not a sign of quality beer..just sayin' Mike

Ahh, I love sierra nevada. I drink a ton of it because its a local brewer and available cheap on tap just about everywhere here.

My personal favorite is Yuengling though - possible because I can't get it here, only when I am on the other half of the country, but I just can't get enough of it when it is available.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Nothing wrong with a twist cap in of itself. Makes it so I can be lazier and not have to open the drawer to get out the bottle opener :rotfl:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I like Corona, but if I'm somewhere [other than my normal places] and I see an Oatmeal Stout on tap, I'm calling for someone to pick my drunk-ass up later on :smile:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:

Huh? The last time i cracked open a Founders I needed a bottle opener.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
CaptainXL said:
Huh? The last time i cracked open a Founders I needed a bottle opener.

That's usually a sign that you've had too many Founders :biggrin:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
This time of year usually looking for a good pumpkin beer. Had a very good one a few years ago but have been unable to find remember what kind it was.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online