1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Brakes started acting weird...

Discussion in 'Brakes' started by littleblazer, Jun 24, 2016.

1. littleblazer

littleblazer Gold Supporter

Hey guys. So yesterday I decided to wash the truck... probably not a good idea. And now I'm having something like abs kicking in coming to a slow stop. But not really. So under normal braking it's fine until you hit about 10 mph. Then the pedal pulses and sinks down like an inch and the actual braking pressure is much less and I then have to push it further to come to a stop. I'm going to guess it's something with the abs module but with no light or code I'm not entirely sure where to go from this point.

2. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Check your hubs too....when they go, the abs does weird shit

xavierny25 and littleblazer like this.
  3. littleblazer

That could also explain my slight pull if it's that bad. :undecided:

4. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

I put a new one on with a bad sensor wire years ago and had a bitch of time figuring out it was the wire n not the brakes.

5. littleblazer

The one is a new hub and the other is an old hub with a new sensor. I'll check to see if there's a pending code maybe that'll point in the right direction.

6. littleblazer

Well I got a light and it stopped acting up. I'm assuming an abs light disables abs.

7. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Classic problem with a hub but because it came at the same time as a wash, inspect the sensor and wiring.

8. littleblazer

Question... is the abs module directly below the drivers seat or in that general area?

9. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Yes sir

10. littleblazer

Well then I think I may know what the problem is. I dropped the hose and it was spraying up under that area for a like a minute.

11. northmick

northmick Member

I know it's a small thing and mayhave been done but just to throw out my 2cents I've seen a lot of problems come from water and just keep in mind dielectric grease goes a long way and never is vasoline its none conductive

12. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

You may have lodged some crud in the abs ring when the hose was spraying, kinda hard to see in there but I would use compressed air to try to clean it out.

Another option is to open the abs sensor leads and spray with some electronics cleaner but let it dry a few min before reassembling.

May even need to spray the cleaner on the module harness also.

13. littleblazer

So I am getting a c0040 aka right front wheel speed sensor... so I am going to jack up the truck at some point today and check the hub, if its flaky I have a new spare I can swap on and go from there. If it is not I'm going to trace out the wires and connectors and see what happens. Funny thing is cruise control still works normal....

14. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Ok, let me get this straight. ABS don't work and cruise still works but a code for the VVT kills cruise? Engineers, I'll never understand them!

15. littleblazer

Yea. So I have a new hub. Swapping thw plug made the light go out instantly... so I cleaned the connection and nothing then I pulled off the hub. Kinda sounded like rocks a little... okay so new hub and all seems good, and my cruise works above 70 again. Yay.

HARDTRAILZ, Denali n DOO and Mounce like this.
  16. HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ Moderator

Glad you got her fixed up