Brake upgrade questions

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey guys. I am down to the wear bars on my front brakes. While searching for new brakes, I found a set of EXT BrakeMotive brakes that come with brackets, rotors and pads. My question being, is this all I need to run EXT brakes? Or will I need to find some stuff ant Pull&Pay? I figure to do the rears as well since I want drilled and slotted. Also, what is the difference between ceramic and metallic pads?

Links to what I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-...ash=item43ec3f8235:g:yvkAAOSwbYZXfC1v&vxp=mtr

Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-...405804?hash=item43ec3fb0ac:g:89UAAOSwEjFXfCz~

Thanks!

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
PS neither one of those listings include the caliper mounting brackets that you need. Only the hardware.
Damn, looks like it. Also, I can't find a set for an 02 EXT, only 06 EXT that I linked. Are the calipers the same?

:poke: Man, if only this had been discussed before... :raspberry:
I don't pay attention to anyone else's until it effects me. lol

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They might not be the same for '06 because my '06 9-7x has different cast iron calipers than the '05 parts truck I have and my '02 EXT, which are both aluminum. Check part numbers on RockAuto between years.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
They might not be the same for '06 because my '06 9-7x has different cast iron calipers than the '05 parts truck I have and my '02 EXT, which are both aluminum. Check part numbers on RockAuto between years.

IIRC, the SS also has the cast iron calipers. Better braking?
Also, I believe you need at least 17' wheels.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Possible they might have thrown on the SS brakes despite not being an Aero but a 5.3 but then the parts truck is also a 5.3. Maybe the first year they didn't put on the better brakes. Anyway, cross-checking part numbers should confirm the parts.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The cast iron won't flex as much. Other wise there shouldn't be any difference I would imagine.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
Slotted rotors do nothing to improve brake performance. Drilled rotors reduce brake performance by making the rotors lighter which reduces how much heat they can absorb. Drilled rotors are known to crack, even those Porsche racing rotors with the cast in holes. I use blanks. Actually, the cheapest I can find. I've tried high dollar two piece rotors, zero difference.

The larger the rotor the better. V8 and LWB trucks got the larger rotors and different caliper brackets to move them out a bit. Rears are the same.

I use EBC Yellow Stuff pads. Expensive. BUT, the hotter they get, the more they grip, zero fade.

With good parts, these brakes are pretty good. Maybe it's because of this that the aftermarket never made brake kits. Maybe also because these brakes fit no other vehicle (think unique lug pattern).

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Totally forgot about the required wheel size. 17 or no go. MAYBE spacers would make 16's clear but you'll have to do some research.

Some research been done, but I am sure he wont bother searching....

I don't pay attention to anyone else's until it effects me. lol

Is this that entitled youth BS I hear about? Someone should spoon feed me cause I am lazy...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher