Brake Squeal On New Brake Bads

mattblackwell7

Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
Hello Everyone,
I recently replaced the brake pads on my 2003 trailblazer with 115,000 miles. Ever since there has been this highly annoying squeal coming from the front pads. I used Napa ceramic pads and applyed anti-squeal brake goo (real technical term? lol) when installing the pads. The noise is intermitant and occurs mainly under light braking, however, sometimes when driving slowly I can hear squealing from the brakes even when the brakes are not applied, like the pad is intermitinly coming into contact with the rotor. I did not replace the rotors when changing the pads so warped rotors might be the problem. But I wanted to get further input before I purchase new rotors.
thanks
-Matt

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Did you have enough "brake goo" to apply everywhere? Napa and other auto stores offer the big jugs with a brush to apply the grease. Much cheaper to purchase than those small packets. Grease is suppose to be on everything that is metal on metal contact.

Also, did you replace those silver pieces that rest on the brake brackets? Those usually come with a brake pad set and need to be replaced and greased properly for the brakes to move smoothly.

Another tip... There might be rocks stuck between the dust shield, just check.

I also forgot to mention the pins on the brake brackets. Those need to be greased to move smoothly and check for damaged boots.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
Copying my post from another thread:

Another thing to look at is the brake backing plates. Had this problem myself after new pads and rotors and went nuts for like 4 months trying to figure out the intermittent squeal that sounded like the wear indicators. There's a video over at youtube on this very subject:

[video=youtube;g2UTd673fl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UTd673fl4[/video]

LordBear

Dec 22, 2011
i got the brakemotive kit i think it is off o f ebay..which they work great. however since i got them on they have squeeled from day one when cold..after warming up the noise goes away..it doesnt do it much any more barely hear it any longer.. did notice that half at least of the calipers will have to be replaced next time i have brakes done since they are bad.

iowarider

Jan 17, 2014
xOgrex said:
Copying my post from another thread:

Another thing to look at is the brake backing plates. Had this problem myself after new pads and rotors and went nuts for like 4 months trying to figure out the intermittent squeal that sounded like the wear indicators. There's a video over at youtube on this very subject:

[video=youtube;g2UTd673fl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2UTd673fl4[/video]

Why would I want to do that? Is that backing plate that needed. Up front, I thought it was mostly a dust and rock guard. I am serious here guys. that looks like way to much of a headache to worry about unless it does something drastic if Ignore it. I need some help understanding this one.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
seanpooh said:
Also, did you replace those silver pieces that rest on the brake brackets? Those usually come with a brake pad set and need to be replaced and greased properly for the brakes to move smoothly.

/\ This /\

I have never had my brakes squeal and any squeal is a vibration. Did you replace the shims on the back of the pads? If the new pads don't come with any you can generally reuse the old ones.

Also your rotors could probably use a scuffing to bed the pads more efficiently. If I reuse the rotors I try to hit them with a scotch-brite pad or similar.

With these platforms I have never needed the goo.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online