Brake odds and ends..

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Well it's time for me to do a brake job on the TB, any things I should watch for or do special? What parts should I grease and what grease is recommended?

Main questions though are:
  1. Has anyone had their rotors turned (resurfaced) or should that even be done to our rotors?
  2. Any recommended brake pads that don't break the bank?
Was planning on going the Brakemotive route but it'll be much cheaper if I can get the rotors turned ($12 a pop). Any insight is welcome and appreciated.

moneypit

Dec 7, 2011
Rotor prices have dropped, I was told Wagner has a new design which is powder coated & therefore are selling off the current stock cheap. Turning is fine, I just used wearever gold ceramics though Wagner have always been very reliable, just pricey! lol. As long as your slider pins are good on the brackets, just clean the caliper brackets up good to keep the pads from sticking.

Reactions: Mounce

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Mounce said:
Has anyone had their rotors turned (resurfaced) or should that even be done to our rotors?
I've worked for/with bozos that say that the rotors HAVE to be cut any time that pads are replaced which just is not true.

I have two examples on my TB:

When I did the front pads, I cut the front rotors because they were a little warped (steering wheel shake while braking). There was enough metal left after the cut to get another 85K out of them.

When I did the rear pads, I just scuffed up the rotors because they were in decent shape. Got another 75K out of them.

Mounce said:
Any recommended brake pads that don't break the bank?
I can't believe that I'm saying this but I've used a lot of duralast pads lately and so far so good.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
MAY03LT said:
I've worked for/with bozos that say that the rotors HAVE to be cut any time that pads are replaced which just is not true.

I have two examples on my TB:

When I did the front pads, I cut the front rotors because they were a little warped (steering wheel shake while braking). There was enough metal left after the cut to get another 85K out of them.

When I did the rear pads, I just scuffed up the rotors because they were in decent shape. Got another 75K out of them.

I can't believe that I'm saying this but I've used a lot of duralast pads lately and so far so good.
Thanks for the input, Andrew. :tiphat: The reason that I'm wanting them cut or replaced is due to a light shaking during breaking accompanied with a grinding like sound that goes along with the shaking. Also I can tell they're worn down a bit, there's a nice lip on the rotor where the pad doesn't touch.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If you have the money, it wouldn't hurt to do fresh rotors. An overall brake refresh, I suppose.

The old ones can be easily sold for scrap, I gave mine to a neighbor who sells scrap for some extra cash.

Reactions: MAY03LT and Mounce

triz

Apr 22, 2013
New rotors are so cheap, unless you get cross drilled. I don't bother resurfacing. One of the best things you can do when doing the brakes is changing out your fluid. You'll see a better response.

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Rotors aren't cheap to me, cheapest ones I saw were around $30 a piece. When it's gonna cost $120+ for rotors, I'll go drilled and slotted (brakemotive) and get their rotors and pads for $188.

I'm quite shocked at how expensive most brake pads are for it. Either you get some cheap $20 per end (front or rear) pads or the next step up is $50 per end.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
So I haven't checked yet, but see all u guys talking bout brakemotive for $188, is that for the smaller swb rotors, or the larger lwb rotors?

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Midnyteryder196 said:
So I haven't checked yet, but see all u guys talking bout brakemotive for $188, is that for the smaller swb rotors, or the larger lwb rotors?
$188 is for us lwb guys. Swb is about $10 cheaper. Both sets come with their drilled and slotted rotors (all 4) and a complete set (all 8) of their ceramic pads.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Midnyteryder196 said:
Damn well looks like I got something to add to the Christmas wish list. Haha :smile:
Yeah, I think it's a very good deal.

Only reason that I'm not going that route is because it's not my money (TB is my moms) and getting the rotors turned and buying pads will be a little cheaper than the brakemotive kit. (btw, do you want a link? That shit's not very easy to find since it's ran through Ebay lol)

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Mounce said:
Yeah, I think it's a very good deal.

Only reason that I'm not going that route is because it's not my money (TB is my moms) and getting the rotors turned and buying pads will be a little cheaper than the brakemotive kit. (btw, do you want a link? That shit's not very easy to find since it's ran through Ebay lol)
Sure! My rotors are getting shot,and I need to get something done when harvest is over and I get more free time

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online