Bought these H11 LEDs - low beam or fogs?

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
So I decided to enter the LED headlamp arena a bit more on the cheaper side and bought these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/121896416863

It's good both my low beams and fogs are H11 because I'm not sure which of those should I use the LEDs for. They are obviously more luminous copared to halogens (especially visible on the fog lamp pic) and would probably be perfect as lowbeams but I'm afraid I could endanger other drivers in oncoming traffic... On the other hand they seem to me to be less agressive than xenon headlamps and those are all over the place and people have to learn to live with that. Not sure, never had HIDs. What do you guys think?

Photo 10-12-2016, 21 04 15.jpg Photo 10-12-2016, 21 04 49.jpg Photo 10-12-2016, 21 06 08 copy.jpg

EDIT: also, the dust cover obviously cannot be pust back on the headlight housing. How much of a protection against moisture is it? Is it safe to ride without it or replace it with some makeshift cover?

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You can run without covers on the headlights, no problems. If your factory headlights are made for HID's, the light output using LED's won't be as good as they don't light up 360°.

If they are made for halogen bulbs, the output should be better than factory and won't blind anyone as long as you've aimed the headlights correctly.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Looks good.

I've been thinking of getting HID's for a few years, but kinda worried that they'll give-out one day without warning. Besides, there's a video that MAY03LT made mentioning the fact that these vehicles really aren't designed for HID's.

I have aftermarket headlight assemblies that look OEM, but still unsure what I want to do. The extra light WOULD come in handy at night without any roadside lighting...

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I have HIDS in mine and will not look back (in stock housing) There is a surprisingly good cutoff for being in the OEM housing. You just have to pick a usable light color (I went with 4300k)

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Looks like I won't be able to make it without the dust covers :sadcry: A lot of atmospheric humidity gets in. It rained yesterday, then the temps plumetted, this morning it was -8C and the headlamps were all icy on the inside... it went away pretty fast as I drove the truck but I'm wondering if it really is that harmless to drive without the covers. Can't it kill some electrical stuff eventually?

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
I've had morimoto HIDs for over a year without using my dust covers. I haven't seen the slightest moisture, dust, ice, snow or anything come near the inside of my lights. You could take a piece of pvc piping, paint it black, and jb plastic weld one end to the back of your headlight housing and cap the other end

Reactions: hockeyman

dkvasnicka

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Those look cool but there is little to no space behind the housing on a 9-7X. My problem isn't the longer body of the LED + the heat dissipation thingie not fitting inside my dust covers, it's more like whatever I'd put over the LED not fitting into the engine compartment.

Trailblazer are probably better in this regard and have more space to work with.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
I've never seen the engine bay of a 9-7x so I can't say anything about having or not having room. All I can advise is that you take a tape measure in there and see exactly what you can do. MANY people onthe headlight junkies Facebook page do excellent work in this department. Dunno if you could possibly chime in to there forum and ask for further guidance.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online