NEED HELP Blower Motor seems to only work when warmed up

Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Littleton CO
2001 Suburban 2500 LT - Auto Climate Control - About a year ago, my blower stopped working. Changed out the blower control module (automatic climate control, so no resistor) and it still didn't work (checked and was getting 12V to module.) Tried another new module...still no luck. Checked as much wiring as I could track down...no obvious issues. Went on a long trip, it was cold....after a while, the blower started working fine. Tried again the next day...same result...it seems as though the blower would start working after the car warmed up (didn't matter what the fan was set to...Auto, or any of the various fan speeds, although once it started working, the fan speeds worked correctly.) Couldn't figure it out..gave up. During the summer, the blower worked all the time! I thought maybe it was fixed! Nope...now that it's winter, I'm seeing the same behavior all over again. Seems to me that the system is stuck on Auto...(it will only start to work once the car is warmed up) Is that possible? When I substituted the new module, should I have reset the HVAC somehow? I have scoured the web and not seen this same issue discussed. Can anyone help? Thanks, Rob

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Checked as much wiring as I could track down...no obvious issues.

It sounds to me like you've got intermittent connection issues. When things are cold, they contract and wherever the break in your circuit is, the gap causes an open, and nothing works. When they warm up, everything expands just enough for that open connection to close, and bingo, you have a working system.

Since you were able to verify voltage getting to the module, I would then think the issue could be with the ground connection. What you might try is grab a scrap piece of wire/metal and connect the ground point of the module to sheet metal or a bolt if possible. Then see if things work when it's cold. If so, then you found the culprit.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation!

Sounds like a similar issue I had where the blower started up only when I got moving at a fast enough speed where the wind made the fan move or I would kick the kick panel near the blower motor. Replaced it and all was well. Check the voltage at the motor when it doesn't work to confirm you're getting power.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.