Barely any fluid in rear brakes

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
ok so on my 05 envoy i replaced the right rear caliper since the bleeder screw was stripped and seized. after getting a junk yard caliper on, the brake hose to caliper connection was leaking alot so i replaced the hose and washers, it still leaked but not as much so after looking into it i noticed gunk and dirt on the seal surface so after cleaning and using a washer one size bigger it was leak free. but now i have my problem

after letting the leaking old brake hose sit overnight i assume alot of air got in the lines and now when trying to bleed i am not getting much fluid in the rear sometimes. with the bleeder closed and brakes pushed the caliper piston dose not even come out most of the time, and when it does it barley moves.

i say sometimes because usually after letting it sit a bit (30 sec.) it would flow like normal then all the rest of pumps will flow around 1/8th of the flow. (to give an example, when pumping the brakes the fluid would go back in the caliper)

idk why there is no flow in the rear, from what i searched i need to have abs activate, Can i just do this with the rear in the air free spinning it? or should i put the wheels back on and try to have abs activate with spinning the wheels on wet grass?

also i read about the proportioning valve but apparently its part if the master cylinder so idk what to do with that?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fixed your "barley" title because there shouldn't be any barley in the brakes :biggrin:

Unless you suspect air got into the ABS modulator,you shouldn't need to cycle the ABS. Some say it works but my personal experience says stomping the brakes to activate the ABS wouldn't work. Even if there is air in the ABS it should still flow to the rear calipers.

Have you tried using a vacuum bleeder?

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

Original poster
May 28, 2014
Mooseman said:
Fixed your "barley" title because there shouldn't be any barley in the brakes [emoji3]

Unless you suspect air got into the ABS modulator,you shouldn't need to cycle the ABS. Some say it works but my personal experience says stomping the brakes to activate the ABS wouldn't work. Even if there is air in the ABS it should still flow to the rear calipers.

Have you tried using a vacuum bleeder?
Lol on the barley.

Also brakes are working again,the brakes would barely flow fluid and there was air that would come out occasionally, also the brake pedal will drop straight to the floor with no resistance at all.

We had to press and hold the brakes and pull the caliper piston out with a screwdriver to have them fully extend. Then we compressed the piston back in while keeping the bleeder open and then we lost alot of air. After repeating that a few times we did the same on the other side and then we were able to bleed as normal.

The brakes work now and catch high but the pedal is still soft so I'm going to make a pesticide sprayer brake bleeder and bleed all 4 tomorrow but it's drivable now

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online