Bad temp sensor?

mfnman88

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Got up this morning started my saab and let it warm up for 10 minutes. Temp needle moved about a quarter of the way across the gauge. Backed out of my driveway, shifted into drive and it stalled. I put it neutral, it started right up and I drove away. About 2 miles later my "check gauges" light came on. this caused me to notice my temp gauge was sitting all the way to the left. I had HOT heat still so I kept driving. Got to my destination (10 miles) fine and had heat the whole way. Is that the temp sensor? and where would that be on an 08? back of the block?

mfnman88

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Update: let it run in the parking lot for 5 minutes and was feeling a radiator hose and eventually it did get warm so I figured it was moving coolant and thus safe to drive home. Had the right amount in the reservoir too. About a mile down the road the check gages light turned off and my temperature gauge moved up almost to halfway. Stayed there the rest of the way home. Now I'm leaning towards a sticky thermostat.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Temp needle moved about a quarter of the way across the gauge.

When you say that, do you mean a quarter on the right side towards overheat or to the left towards cool? Either way, just for peace of mind, I would replace the t-stat and sensor. On the 08, it is located on the right (passenger) side to the rear.

mfnman88

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
do you mean a quarter on the right side towards overheat or to the left towards cool
The engine wasn't completely warm yet so the left towards cool. I don't have numbers on the gauge. Just an L on the left and an H on the far right. I'm thinking that's a Saab thing.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Must be a US thing because I have numbers on mine. Straight up is 100c (212f)

mfnman88

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
IMAG0758_zpsc3jlserm.jpg

mfnman88

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Dundee
Kinda makes sense to me since the readings aren't "actual readings" this style tells a more truthful story than having a 210 mark in the middle. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather have a few more lines to quickly see if it moved since the last time I glanced at it. This style I have to compare the needle to THAT specific large spec of dust.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only "fake" gauge is the oil pressure on the I6. V8 are real as well as the rest.

Pretty stupid design. Voltage would have been nice as well as temp. I had the same thing on my 08 Montana SV6.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online