bad smell from hvac

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
ever since i've got the envoy back it intermittently smells really bad from the hvac system. when i use the ac i see water dripping on the ground so i don't think the tube is clogged. it's only intermittent so i don't think i have any dead animals. at oreilly we sell a spray chemical to get odors out, should i try it? i would change the cabin air filter, but it doesn't have a cabin air filter...

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Had that in ours a couple years ago. Funk builds up on the condenser in the box and stinks. Ours solved itself, think we left the windows down on a hot day all day a couple times and it dried it up. Haven't had it again since.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Being that you have a 2002 you should already have the cabin filter door. It wouldn't hurt to pop that open, and spray the evap coil with that cleaner spray, then leave it open for a while to air out and dry. Then go ahead and stick cabin air filters in (the charcoal activated ones are nice).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It also wouldn't hurt to pull the tube off the drip nipple and put a shop vac to it to suck any muck that might be there despite the water dripping out normally.

My 07 also had a funky smell when the A/C was turned on but it eventually resolved itself. I think it's because it sat a long time before being put up for sale.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online