Backing plate and parking brake

advcomp2019

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
iowa
My friend and I was working on finding the noise in the 2002 Envoy. We was looking at the rear brakes. The backing plates are just about gone one side and basically gone on the other side. I found a good number posts talking about this as a common issue. The only issue is the parking brake. I could not find enough info on it. I was wondering if this backing plate is gone, will the parking brake still work or not. If not, is there like an aftermarket parking brake that will work. We even thought about cutting the backing plate in half and sliding them in, but not sure if the bolts can be removed easily without having issues. We don't feel like taking the rear end apart mainly. We park on hills at times here and still need it working.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although not on this truck, My Jimmy had no backing plates and the parking brake worked just fine. Only risk is a stone or something getting in there and jamming the works or damaging the drum.

Checked Dorman and they don't seem to have a two piece plate. You could try to cut them in half or about the same as the split type for other trucks.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Parking brake will still work without backing plates. The cable attaches to the center "hub" of the axle not the backing plate.

advcomp2019

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
iowa
I was worried because I read something that made it sound like the parking brake is held in with a clip that is on the backing plate.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
060814TS04-572.JPG

#2 is the backing plate. #13 is the parking brake mounting plate.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which explains why they aren't available in two pieces. Still have to take #13 and the axle out either way.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Most of it is gone on our 02 (I pulled it off a couple of months ago) and all still works well. The dust shield portion of it anyway that is.

advcomp2019

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
iowa
Yea, that is what I was wondering. The passenger side just fell apart while working on them. The driver side is a little bit better, but just about ready to fall apart.

By the way, thanks for the brake down. It was just hard to figure out with the new backing plates photos. Plus, since they are rusted away on this 2002, it was hard to figure out, too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online