AWD encoder motor

burg99

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Need some help. I have a 2004 Olds Bravada. I have basically rebuilt everything in the AWD. New transfer case, new front diff, intermediate shaft and coupler. Anyway everything worked great then the service AWD light came on. Got a used one and the light went off and found I was stuck in AWD, crow hopping and loss of power in reverse was felt. Returned that one and got another used one and I now have no SERVICE AWD light but, no AWD.

Is it possible for the encoder motor to be bad and not get a SERVICE AWD light? Any help would be great.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The same scenario applies to both situations. If the motor broke while fully engaging AWD, or if the motor broke while engaged at almost no AWD. So now the motor is working, it just isn't connected to anything. At least that the way I understand it.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
Out of the three Bravadas I've bought so far, AWD systems didn't work on two of them and no AWD service light on either one. the AWD system for 02 to 04 is fairly simple. There's two driveshaft rotation sensors on the transfer case. If the TCCM senses a difference in rotation between the two, it energizes the encoder motor to engage the clutch for the front wheels. How are you testing the AWD? Also did you check for power at the encoder motor plug? One of the bad motors could have blown a fuse. Good luck. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

dkvasnicka

Jul 24, 2015
Czech republic, Europe
Yep, no AWD light on my 9-7X when the motor went out. I managed to get it to light up intermittently but I had to really abuse the rig on a snowy parking lot. Not once in normal driving.

Berns

Jun 22, 2013
Try removing your encoder motor and see if the binding issue is resolved.
I tried it and my issue resolved.

Just replaced encoder motor and been good.

No light either telling me it went out.

BTW, I did go thru a flood and did stand while going thru street lights so that might have damaged mine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online