Auto insurance policy

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
So my payment for my auto and renters insurance came out today and drained my account, I am really wanting to switch now. Who does everyone have? Any suggestions?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I use Erie for everything

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When I was renting I had Grange. The renter's part was only like $100 a year or something pretty cheap like that.

Now I have Ohio Mutual as Grange wouldn't cover my house (they freaked out about a wood burner).

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Geico for the snowblower. It only has liability. Airforce takes care of the rest.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I use Erie for everything

I have never heard of Erie, I will check pricing

When I was renting I had Grange. The renter's part was only like $100 a year or something pretty cheap like that.

Now I have Ohio Mutual as Grange wouldn't cover my house (they freaked out about a wood burner).

I've never heard of grange either guess I will check pricing through them as well

Mercury Ins. For 2 cars and house, Progesssive on motorcycle.
Age and credit rating play a big part on rates.

Ya that's the problem, I'm only 23 and my girlfriend is 21. So we have a few years til it goes down alot

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have USAA, but 'm thinking of switching myself, my insurance has gone up way too much within one year.

Reactions: tsmith1156

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I have been with allstate for decades. They insure both my houses and cars. Totaled damn near every car i have ever owned in my life and had a total loss on one house due to fire. They have always taken care of me. Rates are just above what the other major carriers offer but i do not mind paying $100 more a year to know that they will take care of me.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I have been with allstate for decades. They insure both my houses and cars. Totaled damn near every car i have ever owned in my life and had a total loss on one house due to fire. They have always taken care of me. Rates are just above what the other major carriers offer but i do not mind paying $100 more a year to know that they will take care of me.

I have Allstate and it just seems so expensive

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I will never go with Allstate. Years ago (I'm talking like when I was 10), my parent's house was broken in and stuff stolen. They covered it. About a year later, we were broken in again. They covered it. But when renewal time came along, they just dropped us. No premium increase or anything. Just goodbye. So fuck you Allstate, just when my mom was just separated and she had to scramble to find a new insurer. She found one through an independent insurance broker and got a better deal than Allshit anyway.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Insurance is such an iffy thing, rates are different depending on your driving history, age, the area you live in, state, etc. too many variables. I am dreading looking for a new Auto Insurance provider, but it's bullcrap that my rates went up twice in 1 year alone to the extent they did. I have been with USAA before I even joined the military. I'm speaking with them tomorrow and telling them i'm considering leaving, unless they do something considering I've been a loyal costumer for about 7rs and I have taken the GA Defensive Driving Course to reduce points & my rate.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Insurance is a racket.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I actually work for an insurance co. In IT tho...I'm not an agent or an underwriter.

Of the 'majors', esurance or geico will probably be cheapest to start. Geico especially will quote cheap, and then raise your rates a little with each renewal. To some extent, they all do.

A 'premium' carrier like allstate, what you're paying for is the hands-on relationship w/ an agent - someone who makes sure you're taken care of at claim time, etc. Being young, unmarried and a renter, you may decide you can do without those niceties to save where you can - because there is little you can do until you turn 28-30 (& 25 for the GF).

What can help you?
1. go with the cheapest carrier you feel comfortable with, and be prepared to switch every 6mos to a year if needed. you can leverage a new quote w/ your current company (this works better when you're not with a discount provider).

2. Avoid an at-fault accident at all costs. at your age, you will get jacked for basically any loss / claim.

3. move to the suburbs, if you aren't there already. If you like it when you get there, start saving for a home to buy (condo, townhouses are ok - the important part is to be a 'homeowner')

4. When you get that home, bundle up. if you're cohabiting w/ the gf, add her vehicle(s) to the policy. Statistically, a customer with 2 policies moves from 40-50% churn rate to about 10%. 3 or more policies (like auto / home / life). You're down to 3% chance to switch. Multiline works for both parties.
5. speaking of the gf, if you marry, both your rates will go down (hers by more). however, marrying just to get a lower rate on your auto coverage is more expensive in the long run, so don't let that be your deciding factor.
6. How's your credit rating? Yes, insurers do check (they use a different tool than the major credit rating agencies, and it doesn't hurt your FICO when a company inquires about your 'insurance score.) The end result is much the same, though - so keep your payments up!

7. Got a hot car like a challenger hellcat or a camaro w/ the ls6 engine? Sell it. Or put the car in her name, which will help - a little bit.

8. Having a higher deductible will help. The biggest decrease is going to $500. Going to $1000 doesn't help as much.

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I actually work for an insurance co. In IT tho...I'm not an agent or an underwriter.

Of the 'majors', esurance or geico will probably be cheapest to start. Geico especially will quote cheap, and then raise your rates a little with each renewal. To some extent, they all do.

A 'premium' carrier like allstate, what you're paying for is the hands-on relationship w/ an agent - someone who makes sure you're taken care of at claim time, etc. Being young, unmarried and a renter, you may decide you can do without those niceties to save where you can - because there is little you can do until you turn 28-30 (& 25 for the GF).

What can help you?
1. go with the cheapest carrier you feel comfortable with, and be prepared to switch every 6mos to a year if needed. you can leverage a new quote w/ your current company (this works better when you're not with a discount provider).

2. Avoid an at-fault accident at all costs. at your age, you will get jacked for basically any loss / claim.

3. move to the suburbs, if you aren't there already. If you like it when you get there, start saving for a home to buy (condo, townhouses are ok - the important part is to be a 'homeowner')

4. When you get that home, bundle up. if you're cohabiting w/ the gf, add her vehicle(s) to the policy. Statistically, a customer with 2 policies moves from 40-50% churn rate to about 10%. 3 or more policies (like auto / home / life). You're down to 3% chance to switch. Multiline works for both parties.
5. speaking of the gf, if you marry, both your rates will go down (hers by more). however, marrying just to get a lower rate on your auto coverage is more expensive in the long run, so don't let that be your deciding factor.
6. How's your credit rating? Yes, insurers do check (they use a different tool than the major credit rating agencies, and it doesn't hurt your FICO when a company inquires about your 'insurance score.) The end result is much the same, though - so keep your payments up!

7. Got a hot car like a challenger hellcat or a camaro w/ the ls6 engine? Sell it. Or put the car in her name, which will help - a little bit.

8. Having a higher deductible will help. The biggest decrease is going to $500. Going to $1000 doesn't help as much.
That's some good info right there brother.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That's some good info right there brother.
TY, sir...that was a lot to type on a phone, but figured it might be helpful.

From an employment perspective, at least...insurance companies have been good to me! lol

Reactions: Tiggerr and Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
TY, sir...that was a lot to type on a phone, but figured it might be helpful.

From an employment perspective, at least...insurance companies have been good to me! lol
I've been very satisfied with USAA's car insurance provision. Back in 2011 after I got married to the ex-CeeUNextTuesday, my then mother-in-law side swiped my rental Malibu (was in the Army then on leave to get married) as she backed out of the driveway. How she hit it? I don't know, I was parked on the grass not even on the driveway at all for this exact reason. I simply called the rental agency, explained what had happened, gave them my insurance info and number for USAA. Dropped the Malibu back off and swapped into an Impala for the rest of the honeymoon. Insurance rate never went up and they explained/walked me through the process. I remember getting the letter saying the claim was dealt with and the sigh of relief. So I have been happy with them, but my rate has become ridiculous for a vehicle I only have liability on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online