Anyone know the actual p/n for 8" rear differential gasket?

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Seems like a mystery as to what is the correct part number when it comes to people ordering them from what I've been sifting through on old threads. I don't have leaks or anything, but I kind of wanna pop open the rear diff and have a look inside to see how much fluid drains out. This rear axle was taken off of a Rainier (a neglected one) that spent it's life in Ohio after all. It's all dingy and i'm wanting to paint the whole rear axle flat black.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Shouldn't be that difficult to find but honestly, I usually just use RTV. If you have the original gasket on there, it's a rubber/metal type. I was able to reuse mine on the replacement 2008 diff for my Saab. I did look up for the same type replacement and found it too expensive for what it is (I'm cheap).

Reactions: therealsethallen

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I went to the dealer, was about 40. Let me see if I can find the p/n.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The one I ended up with was 12479020.

Reactions: Capote

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
In my 45 years of vehicle servicing, 9 years in fleet service, I have never used a diff cover gasket. I've done literally done thousands of diff fluid changes and never had one leak.

I use the best RTV out there, Permatex Right Stuff
per-rightstuff-400

I use it everywhere. Never had an intake or water pump leak, or any place I've used it. Just make sure the cover and housing are clean and dry. Install within a few minutes and if you are using synthetic oil, let it set for about 20 minutes after getting the cover on before you fill the diff.

Capote

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
These guys have a cool visual chart at the bottom of their Main Page and sub-listings for GM, etc. by RPO codes:

http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/differential-identification
I've had that site bookmarked for a while lol

In my 45 years of vehicle servicing, 9 years in fleet service, I have never used a diff cover gasket. I've done literally done thousands of diff fluid changes and never had one leak.

I use the best RTV out there, Permatex Right Stuff
per-rightstuff-400

I use it everywhere. Never had an intake or water pump leak, or any place I've used it. Just make sure the cover and housing are clean and dry. Install within a few minutes and if you are using synthetic oil, let it set for about 20 minutes after getting the cover on before you fill the diff.

I don't mind using RTV, used it on my TB and Cutlass before in various applications. If I can't find a cheap gasket or my current one doesn't look reusable after removing it, i'll look into the Permatex Right Stuff.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
As long as it wasn't driven in salty conditions, the oem gasket will be fine. Mine the inner metal rusted out. It wasn't leaking but I didn't trust myself to reuse it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I never use gaskets on diffs. My buddy swears by some Lube Locker BS gasket, but I think it is just cause he got upsold on them when he did his lockers and now does not want to admit that.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
RTV here as well when the one for mine didn't fit. GM part number crossover for the 8.6" - not so much. Holes didn't line up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online